My Slimeline 3220s issues

ozooha

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I have my HP Slimline 3220n for about 5 years now and use it as my mythtv backend after installing xbmbcuntu.
I was configuring to wake it up automatically using the rtcwake command.
I tried this at the command line and it worked waking up after 90 secs - "sudo rtcwake -u -m disk -s 90"
However I now tried it with - "sudo rtcwake -l -m mem -t $DESIRED &"
where $DESIRED=$((`date +%s -d "$1"`)) was some time using the 24 hrs format in this case. The lights on the PC went from blue to yellow implying that it was "sleeping". It was suppose to wake up after 5 minutes but it did not so I manually pressed the
power down button to shut it and then turned it on after few seconds.
The power button came on and after that I did not get any boot/BIOS screen at all. I tired switching it on & off several times without success. I then tried a few things:
1) Connected the pc to to a different monitor to check whether the video card was the issue but there was no boot/BIOS screen on it as well.
2) Tried reseting the BIOS by removing and replacing the CMOS battery, no success even then.
3) Then I opened up the pc and saw that when I would switch it on the CD drive and the hard disc light would turn on but not the CPU fan, it would not spin at all.
4) I haven't tried this that is remove the memory card and then turning the PC on to notice the beeping noise. The beeping noise would ensure that the Mobo is functioning properly.

So my question is what went wrong especially when it was working fine?
What are the different things I need to check to ensure that my PC is not dead?
Thank you for your patience and attention.
OZ

Solution
"Tried reseting the BIOS by removing and replacing the CMOS battery, no success even then. " Goto HP website. Follow link to the MB for your slimline. Follow the Jumper Reset procedure for the CMOS. Either what you did caused the CMOS to mess up (and it shouldn't but it might) or your PC died unrelated to what you did. Using the jumper procedure on the MB will rule out any BIOS/CMOS related problems. Not sure pulling the battery would clear it. (I assume you had it unplugged when you pulled battery and that you let it sit a few mins to let all caps drain).

CPU fan not spinning is BAD. You normally get a bios warning message if the CPU fan is not spinning. It will never be stopped if it is working. See if you can spin the...
"Tried reseting the BIOS by removing and replacing the CMOS battery, no success even then. " Goto HP website. Follow link to the MB for your slimline. Follow the Jumper Reset procedure for the CMOS. Either what you did caused the CMOS to mess up (and it shouldn't but it might) or your PC died unrelated to what you did. Using the jumper procedure on the MB will rule out any BIOS/CMOS related problems. Not sure pulling the battery would clear it. (I assume you had it unplugged when you pulled battery and that you let it sit a few mins to let all caps drain).

CPU fan not spinning is BAD. You normally get a bios warning message if the CPU fan is not spinning. It will never be stopped if it is working. See if you can spin the CPU fan by hand. Sometimes power cords can block the fan. Blow out dust with a can of compressed air ($5 at office depot or staples or mail order from newegg or amazon). A replacement HSF is not that expensive, but you'll need new thermal paste if you swap the heatsink.

There is a sticky with debugging help you should read called 'read this before you post no boot'. It is really good. Essentially it will tell you pull parts until your system posts then add them back in again until is stops posting. The last part added is probably bad. But you already know that the CPU fan is not turning. Fix that before you do anything else. Power supply maybe, fan maybe, CMOS messed up maybe, MB maybe. or could be another failed part shorting the power supply. GL.

EDIT: Here is the clear CMOS procedure for your PC. Double check me. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01321559&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548659#N436

To clear CMOS, follow these steps:

CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.
On certain case designs the jumpers may be difficult to access. It may be easier to remove the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS CMOS.
Temporarily set jumper CLEAR CMOS to pins 1-2.

Wait 5-10 seconds and then return the jumper to pins 2-3.
When you startup the PC you will need to enter BIOS setup to reset any custom BIOS settings.

Solution

ozooha

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Thanks tsnor for your attention and pointers.
I had to try the jumper setting to rule out the final possibility and that did not help as well since the CPU fan did not spin.
For all purposes I have to say that the mobo is the culprit and it has spent its last breath. I will have to scavenge the parts and build another with a new mobo.
Thanks again appreciate it a lot.
OZ