Stuck on "loading OS..."

shimrod

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
I've got a boot problem that I'd like some help with. I have a homebuilt computer with Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 MB and Phenom CPU. I was using a M4 64GB SSD to run Windows 7 and several other mechanical hard disks for storage. Recently I began getting occasional blue screens so I replaced the PS. The blue screens stopped, but about three weeks later the machine wouldn't boot. I entered bios and found the SSD wasn't shown. I swapped to another SATA port and power suppy but the SSD appears dead. I removed the SSD, swapped the boot sequence to the CDROM, and inserted my Windows 7 disk. Now when I turn on the computer it stops at "loading OS..." and won't proceed farther. I then replaced the DVD drive but the problem persists. BIOS shows my mechanical drive and the DVDRW drive. I have a replacement SSD but the computer won't boot from the original windows install disk (OEM, not upgrade). Do I have a BIOS problem? What do I need to do to get W7 reinstalled? I appreciate any help you can provide.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I had a similar issue in a recent build ... fix was to get a 4-pin molex to SATA power adapter to run my CD.

Before I figured that out I used a flash drive to load the OS ... there is software to make a bootable flash drive and copy your oem cd to it.

shimrod

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004

What was the benefit? I've got the DVD powered from a SATA power connector on the new power supply. Are you saying the molex connector provides more power than the dedicated SATA power connector?

shimrod

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Problem is solved, not sure why.The drive was shown in BIOS and I could hear the drive spinning up but it wouldn't load the OS. I disconnected the sata and power cables and reconnected them. Everything was the same but now the drive is loading windows as it should.

I appreciate the help. Thank you.