First Gaming Build

Hello, I am trying to build a pure gaming rig whose purpose is running newest (BF3, Metro2033, etc.) games on max settings and a little web-browsing.

Currently I have 1440x900 monitor, but I plan upgrading to 1920x1080 nothing bigger.

Budget Range: $1000 - $1100.

So, what I have found so far is:

CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4GHz, 6MB Cache, LGA1155) ($277.15)

Motherboard:Asrock Z77 Pro4-M ($113.71)

Power supply:Inter-Tech 650W, aPFC, 120mm fan ($57.34)

Video Card:Giga Byte Radeon HD7950, 3GB, GDDR5, UD ($382.27)

Memory:Kingston 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, Kit Of 2, HyperX Red ($61.16)

Storage:Hitachi 1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, Sata II, Deskstar 7K1000.C ($86.18)

Case:InWin EC027, Black ($37.27)

Total: $1015,08

Is there any recommendations or changes I should make before buying it?
12 answers Last reply
More about first gaming build
  1. Observations more than anything

    Never heard of the power supply . This is such a critical component that sticking with an 80+ bronze or better unit from a major brand seems like a better idea .
    Your unit probably has those specs too since its active PFC . But read some reviews b4 buying .

    The Radeons are near the end of their life . The 8XXX graphics cards could start appearing as early as next month . I know Im waiting for an 8870
  2. This is basically maxed. I also second outlanders idea but if you cant wait, the 7970 is king of amd at the moment.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.83 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1032.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 23:50 EST-0500)
  3. Outlander_04 said:


    The Radeons are near the end of their life . The 8XXX graphics cards could start appearing as early as next month . I know Im waiting for an 8870


    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Radeon-Delay-GeForce-HD8000,20979.html
  4. Augray37 said:



    Thanks

    I read it a about half an hour after my earlier post .
    I guess Im getting a 7870 next week
  5. camohanna said:
    This is basically maxed. I also second outlanders idea but if you cant wait, the 7970 is king of amd at the moment.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.83 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1032.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 23:50 EST-0500)


    hehe, now that's a heck of a build....provided he lives near a microcenter. still...bravo.
  6. Outlander_04 said:
    Thanks

    I read it a about half an hour after my earlier post .
    I guess Im getting a 7870 next week


    have a look at this one...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

    didn't even know it existed til 5 minutes ago lol
  7. Augray37 said:
    hehe, now that's a heck of a build....provided he lives near a microcenter. still...bravo.


    I do try :)
  8. Augray37 said:
    have a look at this one...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

    didn't even know it existed til 5 minutes ago lol



    I will get this one
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_radeon_hd_7870_oc_review,1.html
    Very cool, very quiet
    Ive been putting off buying it because the 8870 was getting close ....
  9. Augray37 said:
    have a look at this one...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

    didn't even know it existed til 5 minutes ago lol


    Powercolor are ok..

    Get this 7870 for $210 , cheap! Its an awesome card, i have the exact same in my computer. Runs amazing!

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
  10. camohanna said:
    This is basically maxed. I also second outlanders idea but if you cant wait, the 7970 is king of amd at the moment.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLUL/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.83 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1032.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 23:50 EST-0500)



    This seems definitely something I would go for, but does my location changes anything because I don't live near Microcenter. (Latvia)
  11. camohanna said:
    Powercolor are ok..

    Get this 7870 for $210 , cheap! Its an awesome card, i have the exact same in my computer. Runs amazing!

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=


    no no, it's the tahiti version, as seen in the newest tom's article. pretty cool eh?
  12. to quote Doc Holliday...

    "oh...i apologize OP i forgot you were there, you may go now." lol JK JK. sorry, we go off on tangents sometimes.

    anyway, i just noticed, are your prices in Canadian dollars? everything seems a little...overpriced for American.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems Product