old game + new computer = PROBLEMS

I am having problems installing some older games (win 95/98) on a one year
old machine (P4 2.66, 1 GB ram, 40GB hd) running xp pro sp2. I have no
trouble loading onto an older (3years+) machine (700mz celeron, 256 MB ram,
10 GB hd) that is also running xp pro sp2.
When I click on 'install' nothing happens. Same when I click on
'setup.exe'. The computer does not freeze, it simply does not load the
installer.
My newer machine is using NTFS as the file system vs. FAT 32 on the older
one. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so, is there a different
installer I should be using? Any other ideas as to what could be the problem?
Also, i have tried setting xp to treat the set up as a win98 program with no
luck

File system shouldn't be the problem, unless your NTFS filesystem was
corrupted. File System is transparent in Windows XP so you don't have
to worry about FAT12/16/32 vs NTFS since the programs don't care.

It might help if you actually list the games that you are having
trouble with. There are literally thousands upon thousands of PC games
out there, each with their own particular problems. Your problem
*seems* like an NTVDM/Installshield problem but I can't say for sure
until you tell us what games you are trying to run.

ajbyrd wrote:
> I am having problems installing some older games (win 95/98) on a one
year
> old machine (P4 2.66, 1 GB ram, 40GB hd) running xp pro sp2. I have
no
> trouble loading onto an older (3years+) machine (700mz celeron, 256
MB ram,
> 10 GB hd) that is also running xp pro sp2.
> When I click on 'install' nothing happens. Same when I click on
> 'setup.exe'. The computer does not freeze, it simply does not load
the
> installer.
> My newer machine is using NTFS as the file system vs. FAT 32 on the
older
> one. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so, is there a
different
> installer I should be using? Any other ideas as to what could be the
problem?
> Also, i have tried setting xp to treat the set up as a win98 program
with no
> luck

I'm trying to install Riven and Hitman at the moment. I have also tried Star
Trek: Starfleet Command and New Worlds.

Like I said, the only thing I could see that was different between the two
machines (besides the hardware) was the file system.

What could cause the installer not to load on one machine but work fine on
the other?

thanks for your help

"DosFreak" wrote:

> File system shouldn't be the problem, unless your NTFS filesystem was
> corrupted. File System is transparent in Windows XP so you don't have
> to worry about FAT12/16/32 vs NTFS since the programs don't care.
>
> It might help if you actually list the games that you are having
> trouble with. There are literally thousands upon thousands of PC games
> out there, each with their own particular problems. Your problem
> *seems* like an NTVDM/Installshield problem but I can't say for sure
> until you tell us what games you are trying to run.
>

> ajbyrd wrote:
> > I am having problems installing some older games (win 95/98) on a one
> year
> > old machine (P4 2.66, 1 GB ram, 40GB hd) running xp pro sp2. I have
> no
> > trouble loading onto an older (3years+) machine (700mz celeron, 256
> MB ram,
> > 10 GB hd) that is also running xp pro sp2.
> > When I click on 'install' nothing happens. Same when I click on
> > 'setup.exe'. The computer does not freeze, it simply does not load
> the
> > installer.
> > My newer machine is using NTFS as the file system vs. FAT 32 on the
> older
> > one. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so, is there a
> different
> > installer I should be using? Any other ideas as to what could be the
> problem?
> > Also, i have tried setting xp to treat the set up as a win98 program
> with no
> > luck

All of those games work under 2000/XP. IIRC, Riven has an issue I can't
remember at the moment but it can be fixed with a patch I think.

Try reading this:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q100198

Also when you try to install again, click on setup.exe, hit
Ctrl+alt+Del and check your processes for setup.exe and NTVDM.EXE.

Installshield has alot of issues that are a pain but they can be
troubleshot.