Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help With First Time Desktop pc Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 10, 2013 7:08:40 PM

Hi,

I am looking to build my first desktop pc. The reason for this is I currently have a Laptop:

CPU: I5-2540m 2.4Ghz
HDD: 500GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 520MX
RAM: 8Gb

This works ok with most games but as I cant upgrade the GPU I thought I would build a desktop.

I am looking for the desktop to obviously be better then my laptop and to be able to run game on high/ultra settings.

I am looking for component ideas i.e. Case, PSU, Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler (if applicable), GPU, RAM, Optical Drive, SSD (If Applicable), HDD, OS. Also rough prices for each component would be appreciated.

Ideally I am looking for room for future upgrades so a decent but cost effective Motherboard would be good.

Thanks in advance for peoples help.

More about : time desktop build

February 10, 2013 7:23:36 PM

Budget?
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:27:12 PM

I am in the UK and Budget would be about £600.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 7:31:18 PM

You are looking for something that will work now, that can be expanded or upgraded later, but not cost an arm and a leg… right?

Start out with a Z77 motherboard, like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add a base model i5, unless you want to over clock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (no O/C)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (O/C)

Add a good power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add a HDD or if you’re really froggy, an SSD. I’d recommend a HDD for your first build; you can always add an SSD later:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then an OS, I’d do Win Seven, but I’m an old fart that doesn’t like to learn new things, according to some of the other posters here.

Finally an enclosure. I can’t recommend one here because I don’t know your criteria or desires, but I’d get one from any of these companies: NZXT*, Corsair, Fractal, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Antec, Rosewill*

*With these you get what you pay for. If the case is less than $50, its usually built cheap. The Blackhawk is a good case, anything up from that price point ($85 US) will be fine.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:39:03 PM

Darren89 said:
I am in the UK and Budget would be about £600.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CG6X) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CG6X/by_merchant/) / [Benchmarks](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CG6X/benchmarks/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd4300wmhkbox) | $123.79 @ Amazon
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-r...) | $29.99 @ Newegg
**Motherboard** | [ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970de3u...) | $69.99 @ Amazon
**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m2a1...) | $46.98 @ Outlet PC
**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-driv...) | $76.83 @ Amazon
**Video Card** | [MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r77702pmd1g...) | $99.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Inwin Fanqua ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/inwin-case-fanqua) | $79.98 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu...) | $39.99 @ Newegg
**Optical Drive** | [Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-optical-drive-drw24b1...) | $19.98 @ Outlet PC
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-gfc02050) | $89.98 @ Outlet PC
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. | $677.50
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 16:40 EST-0500 |

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CG6X Go to that link
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:39:50 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£86.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£73.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.51 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£65.40 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£179.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£54.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.40 @ Aria PC)
Total: £514.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 21:34 GMT+0000)

OS: Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit DVD - OEM - £62.99 inc. VAT
I'll leave case choice up to you since it's up to you to decide on how much you want to go over the specified budget.

Upgrades down the road:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.19 @ Aria PC)
or Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£239.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Upgrade GPU/SSD to whatever is hot at the time, current GPU should game for few years as it is.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:42:11 PM

groundrat said:
You are looking for something that will work now, that can be expanded or upgraded later, but not cost an arm and a leg… right?

Start out with a Z77 motherboard, like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add a base model i5, unless you want to over clock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (no O/C)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (O/C)

Add a good power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add a HDD or if you’re really froggy, an SSD. I’d recommend a HDD for your first build; you can always add an SSD later:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then an OS, I’d do Win Seven, but I’m an old fart that doesn’t like to learn new things, according to some of the other posters here.

Finally an enclosure. I can’t recommend one here because I don’t know your criteria or desires, but I’d get one from any of these companies: NZXT*, Corsair, Fractal, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Antec, Rosewill*

*With these you get what you pay for. If the case is less than $50, its usually built cheap. The Blackhawk is a good case, anything up from that price point ($85 US) will be fine.



What Video Card would you suggest? your link directed me to RAM
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:42:53 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.83 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Inwin Fanqua ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $677.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 16:41 EST-0500)

This is the best I can do with 600 bucks and even it is overbudget. Though this is in US dollars, you might be able to swing a different build elsewhere. Piledrivers 4300-8300 processors aren't too bad though, 20 fps lower than i5s and 7s in cpu intensive games like planetside/skyrim but completely equal in gpu intensive games(The vast majority)
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:46:47 PM

Praxeology said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.83 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Inwin Fanqua ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $677.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 16:41 EST-0500)


Is AMD equivalent to a Intel i5? Also I am in UK and can not order from Newegg :( 
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 7:51:17 PM

Darren89 said:
Is AMD equivalent to a Intel i5? Also I am in UK and can not order from Newegg :( 

You can't fit i5 and OS in your budget without sacrificing the GPU which is the main component in gaming system.

I'll quote my previous post
Quote:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£86.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£73.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.51 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£65.40 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£179.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£54.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.40 @ Aria PC)
Total: £514.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 21:34 GMT+0000)

OS: Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit DVD - OEM - £62.99 inc. VAT
I'll leave case choice up to you since it's up to you to decide on how much you want to go over the specified budget.

Upgrades down the road:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.19 @ Aria PC)
or Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£239.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Upgrade GPU/SSD to whatever is hot at the time, current GPU should game for few years as it is.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 8:21:01 PM

Windows 7 or windows 8?

I find windows 8 has faster boot time and runs quicker?
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 8:21:35 PM

Windows 7 or windows 8?

I find windows 8 has faster boot time and runs quicker?
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 8:26:30 PM

Darren89 said:
Windows 7 or windows 8?

I find windows 8 has faster boot time and runs quicker?


7 is more developed, I don't like 8 because its marketed toward tablets/touchscreens.
m
0
l
!