Desktop New Build

Darren89

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hi,

I have to 2 separate questions.

1. Do motherboards come with Wifi or would i need to buy this so i can connect to broadband?

2. Would you recommend win7 or win8?
I find win8 to have a faster boot time and run quicker but most people recommend win7.

rgd1101

Don't
1)desktop motherboard usually don't have wifi, but some do. if you use wifi for broadband then yes you need one, but it have a network cable connector.

2)I would check the hardware and software you going to use for windows 8 support before installing that.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Built-in wifi adapter is common on ITX (HTPC oriented) boards, so you'll probably need a separate one.
Windows 8 is identical to Windows 7 in terms of usability providing that you install one of the start menu replacments, i.e. Classic Shell, it's just more feature rich.

Edit: There are very few compatibility issues that can be avoided by installing/running the problematic software in Windows 7 compatibility mode (takes 3 clicks to do it, literally).
Only truly incompatible piece of software I encountered so far on Windows 8 was Acronis Disk Director which uses driver module that isn't Windows 8 certified, causing it to not work.
On the flip side, I've encountered quite a number of old games that work perfectly on 8 that had various issues on 7.