Sign in with
Your question

Desktop New Build

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2013 8:25:52 PM

Hi,

I have to 2 separate questions.

1. Do motherboards come with Wifi or would i need to buy this so i can connect to broadband?

2. Would you recommend win7 or win8?
I find win8 to have a faster boot time and run quicker but most people recommend win7.

More about : desktop build

a c 84 V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 8:38:56 PM

1)desktop motherboard usually don't have wifi, but some do. if you use wifi for broadband then yes you need one, but it have a network cable connector.

2)I would check the hardware and software you going to use for windows 8 support before installing that.
February 10, 2013 8:39:18 PM

Built-in wifi adapter is common on ITX (HTPC oriented) boards, so you'll probably need a separate one.
Windows 8 is identical to Windows 7 in terms of usability providing that you install one of the start menu replacments, i.e. Classic Shell, it's just more feature rich.

Edit: There are very few compatibility issues that can be avoided by installing/running the problematic software in Windows 7 compatibility mode (takes 3 clicks to do it, literally).
Only truly incompatible piece of software I encountered so far on Windows 8 was Acronis Disk Director which uses driver module that isn't Windows 8 certified, causing it to not work.
On the flip side, I've encountered quite a number of old games that work perfectly on 8 that had various issues on 7.
February 10, 2013 8:43:06 PM

1 - depends on the board , but 90% without.
2 - for now windows 7.
!