Sign in with
Your question

memory test/benchmark programs

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 3, 2002 4:03:52 AM

what programs should i use to run a memory benchmark or test. i am curious to see how my memory is performing. i have 768mb mushkin DDR..thnx
February 3, 2002 4:30:03 AM

sandra software does a decent mem benchmark.
although its very relative, (i.e. not very good across cpu platforms) it is pretty common and good to compare with yourself as u tweak memory timings.

to check the integrity of your ram for errors i like Memtest86. let it run through a few iterations... it is very good at spotting any memory errors.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
February 3, 2002 11:32:16 AM

The problem with memtest86 is that it takes forever when you have a large amount of RAM to scan.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 3, 2002 1:44:33 PM

when i use sandra to run a benchmark does it benchmark all my DIMM's as a total(3x256mb DDR) or does it just use a certain amount of the ram? the reason im askin is i used to have 512 and i got a certain score and when i went up to 712 the score actually went down
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 3, 2002 5:23:20 PM

Well I never had this kind of trouble, however I only went from 128 to 256.

Heh!

Mike D.
MAssIvE - lunatis@hotmail.com
February 3, 2002 8:10:04 PM

who knows?
sandra, while popular, isnt very accurate "real world wise"
its very much a synthethetic benchmark that most take with a grain of salt. people have experienced all sorts of wierd rises and falling in their benchmarks.

do a net search for something better... i know real ones exist out there... ?membench???

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
February 3, 2002 8:17:21 PM

it doesnt take THAT long... even for my 512mb PC150. and i think its well and truly worth it for piece of mind... and you could always leave it running overnite for absolute certainty :-)

!