Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help deciphering BSOD errors

Last response: in Windows 7
March 11, 2012 11:07:10 PM

Dear all:

I've been putting off getting help for this for much too long now and have a massive stockpile of minidumps from Windows. These crashes have been occurring from a few months after the computer came to life until this very day (accidentally ran CCleaner a few months ago and cleared out some dumps, but have gathered plenty more since).

I can't figure out what's causing the error, whether it be software or hardware. If anyone can give me guidance, that would be much appreciated. Here is the report generated by BlueScreenView. If the actual dump files are needed, I shall make them accessible.

Thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 11:39:11 PM

If you are getting a lot of different BSOD then you should check the memory with a memory test program such as memtest86 4.0a and run it for at least three passes. If the BSOD are all the same then you should look to the driver responsible for them.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 3:46:55 PM

Can't view dumps at work. In the meantime, run memtest86/Prime95 on each stick of RAM and ensure they all pass without errors.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 9:19:38 AM

The most important Blue Screen of Death troubleshooting step you can take is to ask yourself what you just did.

1) Did you just install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so, there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD:
Startup using Last Known Good Configuration to undo recent registry and driver changes.
Use System Restore to undo recent system changes.
Roll Back device driver to version prior to your driver update.

2) Scan your computer for viruses. Some viruses can cause a Blue Screen of Death, especially ones that infect the master boot record (MBR) or boot sector.

3) Update drivers for your hardware. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related so updated drivers could fix the cause of the STOP error.

4) Return hardware settings to default in Device Manager. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, the system resources that an individual piece of hardware is configured to use in Device Manager should be set to default. Non-default hardware settings have been known to cause a Blue Screen of Death.

5) Return BIOS settings to their default levels. An overclocked or misconfigured BIOS can cause all sorts of random issues, including BSODs.

Hope these guidelines helps you to fix this problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2012 2:14:34 PM

Also, can you post the BSOD STOP code? That usually clues us in with what actually caused the crash, which can help point to a specific component.
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:38:58 PM

In the past I had ran memtest86 v.3.5 with no errors found afterward. Downloaded 4.0a and ran it, resulting in 10 million errors over a 12 hour scan. Now individually testing each stick to isolate the bad one.

In other news, a few hours after I posted this topic, I restarted my computer. It then froze for a few hours at Windows startup until I did a hard reset. Then it went into a loop of BSOD'ing and restarting, with the bug check code most times being CI.dll. I attempted using the Windows 7 repair disk a few times, which resulted in a few "no error"s and a few "Windows repair cannot fix this error"s.

Research into CI.dll said that the capitalized instance normally indicates a virus, whereas the lowercase instance normally indicates an error with the OS.

Once I have isolated which stick of memory is bad, I will send it off to be replaced and try Windows repair again, along with a few virus scans. Any other suggestions?

gamerk316 said:
Also, can you post the BSOD STOP code? That usually clues us in with what actually caused the crash, which can help point to a specific component.

All of the BSOD stop codes can be found in the report in the original post, found at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3231781/report.html.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 18, 2012 12:24:30 AM

I also have found that memtest86 4.0a is much better at finding faulty memory than memtest86 3.5. Once you have sorted out the memory problems you should do a clean install of Windows. If you do not do a clean install of Windows then at the very least run CHKDSK and SFC /scannow from the command prompt as the administrator.
March 25, 2012 6:14:55 AM

Best answer selected by hobbenbobber.
m
l
!