Why are evga gtx 670 superclocked 2gb graphics cards out of stock?

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks. I hope that the “obvious” answer is correct: that people bought them. I configured a rig through CyberPower in October with one evga superclocked 670, 2GB (not the FTW version), with the intention of getting another one in early 2013 when I could afford the second card. I’m a little nervous because Newegg says, “This item is currently out of stock and it may or may not be restocked,” and has an eye-catching banner saying “Discontinued.” It’s the “discontinued” that worries me, leading me to suspect that there is a manufacturing problem (perhaps a manufacturing cessation) rather than an over-demand problem. Tiger Direct displays every version of evga’s 670, except for the 2GB SC version. Furthermore, evga’s own product page for the 670 chipset omits this version. So, you can see why I suspect that the reason these particular cards are out of stock is something other than popular demand. (The price gouging on Amazon is from small third-party vendors/individuals brokering through Amazon and exploiting the limited availability of this card.)

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Well, if it says discontinued, then they aren't going to restock them. If you have to I am sure that they sell them on amazon and tiger. FTW is probably going to completely replace standard versions. If you have to, you could order new or used off ebay.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I’d happily buy the FTW, but extreme cautiousness has proved very useful to me in the past. My motherboard’s owner’s manual (ASRock Extreme 4 Z77) tells me that only “two identical CARDS can run in SLI.” It doesn’t say two identical chipsets. So, if an evga FTW gtx 670 will successfully interface via SLI with my existing evga SC gtx 670, then problem solved. Will SLI work with one evga SC and one evga FTW? If so, should the FTW be the primary card? And will different amounts of memory (one 4GB, one 2GB) prohibit successful SLI interface?

Possibly, I was on a thread yesterday where the OP could not get a 3GB 660 to SLi with a 2GB 660 and whilst it may have had to do with the fact that the larger amount could not be simply halved by the driver there could be more to it than that. In short it's probably going to be a lot less hassle if you just get a card that matches your existing one.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
In short it's probably going to be a lot less hassle if you just get a card that matches your existing one.[/quotemsg]

Thanks, Mousemonkey. You’re probably right. And that’s my fear, if it is true that evga is discontinuing my current card. (I was expecting the card to be around for a while and hoping to take advantage of the inevitable reduction in price after some passage of time. Sigh……..)

TRENDING THREADS