Solved

$1200 first time build

Hello everyone,

Looking to convert to PC gaming. My Xbox 360 is getting old, and all the fun stuff happens on the PC side anyways. Going to try to follow the rules here as best as I can. I have a few ideas, but ultimately I know nothing. Any help would be appreciated. That in mind..

Approximate Purchase Date: anytime, really.

Budget Range: $1,250 w/ parts, shipping not included

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: No, using LCD TV

Parts to Upgrade: All of them

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. Win 7 Home

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:newegg.com, unless better deals elsewhere

Location:Fargo, North Dakota, United States of America

Parts Preferences:Intel CPU, nVidia GPU, open everywhere else

Overclocking: Maybe. Options are good

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. See above

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080. LG 42LK520 (42" 1080p 120hz HDMI)


Additional Comments: Mainly will be playing BF3, Skyrim, anything like that. Would like to play in highest settings. Also, a case with a side window would be cool. Lights, not necessiary

I made a list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CHA4

Any help would be awesome. TIA
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1200 time build
  1. That's a solid build. The only thing I would recommend is get the low profile Vengeance RAM and you're set.
  2. if no SSD, maybe it would be good to invest in a WD cavier BLACK hdd (20$)
  3. g-unit1111 said:
    That's a solid build. The only thing I would recommend is get the low profile Vengeance RAM and you're set.


    It was a bundle deal w/ the case, but yea, thanks for the suggestion
  4. gussrtk said:
    if no SSD, maybe it would be good to invest in a WD cavier BLACK hdd (20$)


    I do have some more $$ room to use. Any suggestions for a SSD?
  5. Samsung 840/830, Crucial M4, OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Vector
  6. EzioAs said:
    Samsung 840/830, Crucial M4, OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Vector

    Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just gotta pick one. Too many choices I say..
  7. sandisk extreme is nice too

    the black HDD's aren't any faster than seagate barracudas and wd blue but only have a longer warranty
  8. Anonymous said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just gotta pick one. Too many choices I say..


    I'd get the OCZ Vector if you can spare the difference - it's currently the fastest SSD on the market and most tests show it matching or beating the Samsung 840 Pro.
  9. stickmansam said:
    sandisk extreme is nice too

    the black HDD's aren't any faster than seagate barracudas and wd blue but only have a longer warranty


    I'm thinking of upgrading later, with a SSD for boot and the HDD will become data only. I just need to get started.

    Here's my latest update: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CL5I

    All from newegg, and with discounts, mail-in, and shipping, its $1,090.55

    Should I do it?
  10. Looks good. If you prefer those parts, I think you're good to go.
  11. EzioAs said:
    Looks good. If you prefer those parts, I think you're good to go.


    Is there anything you might change?
  12. Best answer
    Anonymous said:
    Is there anything you might change?


    Ask anyone and they might change anything. Personally I'd get a different case, maybe a 500R or Antec 1100 or Bitfenix Raider. For psu, I'd get the SeaSonic M12II 620 if I want modular. I'd rather get a 7950 over a 660ti and of course, I don't need a blu-ray drive. However, these are my preference. Your build is great already.
  13. EzioAs said:
    Ask anyone and they might change anything. Personally I'd get a different case, maybe a 500R or Antec 1100 or Bitfenix Raider. For psu, I'd get the SeaSonic M12II 620 if I want modular. I'd rather get a 7950 over a 660ti and of course, I don't need a blu-ray drive. However, these are my preference. Your build is great already.


    Haha, that's what I've gathered. Everyone has an opinion on what's good, and what's not.

    But I do appreciate your input, and reassurance. I'm glad I came here. Now, it's time to spend my tax return
  14. Best answer selected by mdubbs15.
  15. Couple questions:

    Are you in love with nvidia? Might suggest looking at radeon series. I think the 7870XT out benches the 660ti's on most every game, and it's $50 cheaper. (I recently bought an XT myself, the sapphire version).

    The PSU, I'd go with AX if I was getting corsair (The AX is made by seasonic), otherwise I'd get the Gseries 550 Seasonic Modular PSU.

    Are you in love with that case, or getting it because of the $20? You might have some issues installing that ram with the aftermarket cooler. Just FYI.

    Also, the TV will have some imput lag, as the "120Hz" is actually post-source(the tv makes the 120, but only accepts 60hz). So, a 120Hz TV is not a 120Hz Monitor. You're better off getting a 60hz TV. If you already have the 120Hz tv, you might have the ability put it on "PC" mode, and it'll set the refresh to 60hz. Just wanted you to be aware.
  16. the 7870xt only matches the 660ti while the 7950 beats the 660ti in most cases
  17. Eyage has a very good point there - don't expect that TV to work the same way as a 120Hz monitor. You'll be sorely disappointed.
  18. eyeage said:
    Couple questions:

    Are you in love with nvidia? Might suggest looking at radeon series. I think the 7870XT out benches the 660ti's on most every game, and it's $50 cheaper. (I recently bought an XT myself, the sapphire version).

    The PSU, I'd go with AX if I was getting corsair (The AX is made by seasonic), otherwise I'd get the Gseries 550 Seasonic Modular PSU.

    Are you in love with that case, or getting it because of the $20? You might have some issues installing that ram with the aftermarket cooler. Just FYI.

    Also, the TV will have some imput lag, as the "120Hz" is actually post-source(the tv makes the 120, but only accepts 60hz). So, a 120Hz TV is not a 120Hz Monitor. You're better off getting a 60hz TV. If you already have the 120Hz tv, you might have the ability put it on "PC" mode, and it'll set the refresh to 60hz. Just wanted you to be aware.


    1. Kinda. It's in my laptop, tablet, and phone. I kinda like it

    2. Yea, $20 is right. But, I'm looking to make a change thanks to your heads up. Any Suggestions? I'm Looking at some from an earlier post

    3. The TV does indeed have PC mode, so I'm good there
  19. stickmansam said:
    the 7870xt only matches the 660ti while the 7950 beats the 660ti in most cases


    Actually, mostly beats, but there are games where the 660ti prevails. That said, why spend more on something that doesn't work any better, if not worse? That's my point.
  20. eyeage said:
    Actually, mostly beats, but there are games where the 660ti prevails. That said, why spend more on something that doesn't work any better, if not worse? That's my point.



    I completely agree with you just my OCD speaking out :P

    Some nice cases I would consider

    HAF912

    Zalman Z11 Plus

    300D

    HAF922

    Storm Scout

    Storm Enforcer (personal fav)

    400D
  21. stickmansam said:
    I completely agree with you just my OCD speaking out :P

    Some nice cases I would consider

    HAF912

    Zalman Z11 Plus

    300D

    HAF922

    Storm Scout

    Storm Enforcer (personal fav)

    400D


    Are there going to be any clearance issues with the Z11 plus?
  22. Anonymous said:
    Are there going to be any clearance issues with the Z11 plus?


    Get low profile memory and it won't be an issue. The RAM heatspreaders are pretty worthless anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems