Ethernet not working

tomanderson91

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I recently sold an old desktop tower of mine (that I built quite a while ago) to a friend at work, I formatted the driver, reinstalled windows, put on some essential software, updated windows etc before passing it on and connected to the router via ethernet at my house it was working perfectly fine with no problems.

I got a call today from the guy saying that the internet won't work, so after looking at the computer at his house for some reason the network adapter has been disabled, when trying to re-enable it all the machine does is freeze up and requires the process to be ended via task manager.

I'm slightly concerned that it's doing this because as I said it worked perfectly fine at my house and now for some reason it won't even let me enable it. I have checked the BIOS says LAN enabled but when Windows loads it is coming back as disabled.

I was wondering if anyone could share any light on possible fixes, or even causes as to why it would have done this, even if my friend had disabled it while trying to 'fix' something It should still let me enable it again and not freeze on me.

I can't for the life of me remember what motherboard I put it in, but if I recall it uses the nForce networking adapter running Windows 7 64-Bit

One more thing I can think of is the last thing the computer did was update before i turned it off for them to collect it. But I doubt a windows update could cause it to disable.

tomanderson91

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Yeah, I was thinking that it might have just died but it was in the space of 24 hours and it was working fine and had been when I was using it.

But thats another thing I forgot to mention, anytime I right click the driver in the device manager it freezes straight away so not allowing for any updates, reinstall so I can't even change any settings on the driver under the advance section.

Any idea what might cause this ?

Have you tried deleting the port from the device manger and letting it redetect it upon reboot? Also, if I remember correctly, some of those nforce boards came with a nvidia/nforce firewall. Don't install that as it causes more problems than it solves.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I agree to hawkeye, but adding on it, you might wanna physically remove the NIC from the board first. Boot it up to windows and uninstall the device. This will cause the system not to detect the NIC for now, and there will be no clashes between the hardwares.

After uninstalling, shut down the PC and slot in the NIC, then reboot your PC and the mainboard automatically do a hardware detection for the NIC.

This should work pretty fine. Or else, time to get a new card. =D Treat it as a service.