Record video through my HDMI IN

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcratsley

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hello,
i have an Alienware M17X R3 with an HDMI INPUT which i can plug my xbox 360 into and play it through my laptop monitor. Is there any software that will allow me to use the HDMI IN as the primary video input, in oppose to the actual desktop screen? i tried using a few free softwares in which it records the "HDMI IN ON" message that shows up, but when it goes away and when I see my dashboard, the recording software sees my desktop image. i do not have a capture card, nor do i want to use one. i simply want to use a software (if there is one) to capture the HDMI IN on my laptop. thanks :D

Solution
Yes. Search "screen video capture software; open source".

Example:
http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/10-free-screen-recording-softwares-for-creating-attractive-screencasts/

There are quite a few out there but look around carefully. Some have ads, some have only unicast features (outputs to web). Look around and research them. Avoid Fraps. That thing is a total resource hog. Bad for laptops.
VLC I think offers the same screen capture ability but have never used it (I already have a MPEG capture card).

Something out there will fit the bill for you.

NOTE: HDCP video will require some kind of "hardware solution" to do so correctly. It is protected content using encryption methods that prevent exactly what you are trying to do, so w/o...

Omi3D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Yes. Search "screen video capture software; open source".

Example:
http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/10-free-screen-recording-softwares-for-creating-attractive-screencasts/

There are quite a few out there but look around carefully. Some have ads, some have only unicast features (outputs to web). Look around and research them. Avoid Fraps. That thing is a total resource hog. Bad for laptops.
VLC I think offers the same screen capture ability but have never used it (I already have a MPEG capture card).

Something out there will fit the bill for you.

NOTE: HDCP video will require some kind of "hardware solution" to do so correctly. It is protected content using encryption methods that prevent exactly what you are trying to do, so w/o hardware, HDCP content not likely to happen at all in a pure software solution. Even in hardware, it is limited to a lower resolution at 720p max.

Solution

zcratsley

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Perfect! Thank you so much. I really appreciate this. Its exactly what I was looking for.

iSnake88

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

how did it work with you ? :eek:
please tell us what did u do! :sarcastic:
I have the same laptop and I really need to record. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.