PC completely haywire after attempting to upgrade video card and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco_K0707

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I don't know if this is the correct forum for the problem I'm having, but I'm nearing the end of my rope and I need to know how to resolve this. I can't take it to a tech or anything like that (since it's Boxing Day) so hopefully I get a good answer on here.

My computer is completely haywire. I tried upgrading my video card from a EVGA GTX 460 to a Sapphire AMD HD 7870 (Christmas present) as well as adding two more sticks of 2GB RAM to my computer. From then on, my monitor refused to show anything other than a black screen and it's been that way since yesterday afternoon.

Here is all the things that we have tried.

-Swapping around the RAM and trying different slots.
-Taking out the new RAM and leaving the old RAM in.
-Swapping GPUs.
-Restarting my CMOS battery.
-Taking the GPU out and attempting to run with integrated graphics.

Nothing is working.

I asked on another forum and one guy suggested the possibility of a fried motherboard. It's not that; the motherboard still shows signs of posting, it still lights up, my computer still boots up, etc. But all that happens is a black screen and my peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.) don't register. I can't even access my BIOS, can't do anything.

So what now?

Here is the motherboard that I'm using.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131633

Marco_K0707

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
That might be what it is...I did forget to uninstall the nVidia drivers before removing the card for the first time. Don't know why I didn't think to do that. Of course, it's not like I can go back and fix it; my monitor won't even read the video card; I can't even get a picture or get my keyboard to work, let alone access my BIOS or my nVidia drivers.

I supposed I could try resetting the CMOS battery again and try running on integrated graphics alone.

And to my knowledge, everything is plugged in where they should be. I just don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.