Help with making home media server!

paulbennett95

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Here's my set-up: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CLeC

I'm new to this, never built a computer before.

What I'm hoping to do is put an XP partition that I already have on my laptop onto the hard drive, or at least be able to install windows XP on the hard drive using my PC's disk drive (perhaps attach the HD to the computer and use that as the boot disk then install XP from a CD?) so I can run a media server software (air media server)

All I want this to do is hook up to my internet router and sit on top of my home PC, constantly having only this server software running so I can access my movies, photos, and music from wherever I am.

Questions:
Is what I'm asking to do feasible? Will I be able to get XP onto the hard drive, and start it up and download, open, and configure the server software? If I were to hook up the hard drive to my PC, then use the hard drive as the boot disk and do all these things, then attach the hard drive to the new computer, would that work?

If I were to buy a WiFi dongle for it instead, would that work?

Will the fan I'm including work with my motherboard?

And finally, do you think the set-up will be able to support streaming relatively mediocre quality movies to my iPhone?

Thanks for the help, please respond!

Solution
I'm not great on the software side of things but with the hardware, I'd get the GIGABYTE GA-E350N and a single 2GB stick of RAM to save cash and power consumption since it will be on all the time. I'd be tempted to go for 2.5'' hard drives as well to save more energy, the gigabit ethernet will be the bottleneck anyway.
I'm not great on the software side of things but with the hardware, I'd get the GIGABYTE GA-E350N and a single 2GB stick of RAM to save cash and power consumption since it will be on all the time. I'd be tempted to go for 2.5'' hard drives as well to save more energy, the gigabit ethernet will be the bottleneck anyway.

Solution

xbooow59

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
and il help you out with the software, except i use linux, so, haha, grain of salt yo.
For my home server i have all my music and movies available everywhere, its setup so so, little disorganized but eh.
anyways, the software i use right now is gnump3d, im on the market for something a little more modern thoguh as gnump is from 2007 at this point. really super easy setup so it might be perfect for your purposes.

i change harddrives between setups all the time, usually boots fine. might give some hardware issues, dont do anything extreme
ex: hd from acer laptop 2001 --> brand new state of the art super pc
and 64bit doesnt work on 32 bit, but 32 works on 64.