Solved

My First Gaming Rig (WIP) help wanted - page 2

92 answers Last reply Best Answer
  1. fixer762 said:
    To ensure your Ram will fit under your Noctua cpu Cooler here are some Noctua links.
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en#13

    G.skill Ram Specs and height.
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=397

    You have 44mm under the Noctua Cooler and the G.Skill Ripjaws X Series Ram is 40mm tall so it should fit.
    or

    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=491
    If you want more Ram clearance get the G. Skill Ares (low profile ram 33mm tall)

    For better cooling add more case fans. Your case already comes with a few fans.
    http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

    Add another NZXT 200mm Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146007
    and a 140mm intake fan in the front, I would recommend another Noctua product a
    Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm fan, it is a bit expensive at about $28, but it is a really good fan.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017

    Or you could just pick up a NZXT 140mm fan for a little less.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146020

    Lastly have you considered a keyboard that lights up? Same make and model with backlighting.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114026

    Fine Neweggs power calculator is wrong, making me wrong.
    The eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite I used says 587W recommended, but that is with no overclocking and with all fans installed.

    http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

    Other than that it sounds like you are ready to order some parts. Hope this helps.


    awesome, would this fan go on the side of the case? like the left side if you were facing the front of the case?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146836&SID=nf1qu6pkdsq6
  2. fixer762 said:
    To ensure your Ram will fit under your Noctua cpu Cooler here are some Noctua links.
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en#13

    G.skill Ram Specs and height.
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=397

    You have 44mm under the Noctua Cooler and the G.Skill Ripjaws X Series Ram is 40mm tall so it should fit.
    or

    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=491
    If you want more Ram clearance get the G. Skill Ares (low profile ram 33mm tall)

    For better cooling add more case fans. Your case already comes with a few fans.
    http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

    Add another NZXT 200mm Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146007
    and a 140mm intake fan in the front, I would recommend another Noctua product a
    Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm fan, it is a bit expensive at about $28, but it is a really good fan.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017

    Or you could just pick up a NZXT 140mm fan for a little less.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146020

    Lastly have you considered a keyboard that lights up? Same make and model with backlighting.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114026

    Fine Neweggs power calculator is wrong, making me wrong.
    The eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite I used says 587W recommended, but that is with no overclocking and with all fans installed.

    http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

    Other than that it sounds like you are ready to order some parts. Hope this helps.


    also if i got this fan "Noctua NF-P14 FLX 65.0 CFM 140mm Fan"
    where would this fan go? Add another NZXT 200mm Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146007
  3. http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

    Click the link for the NZXT website, then click on the gallery tab, 2nd column 3rd row is the picture to give you a jist of where the fans will go.

    The 140mm Noctua fan will go in front of the hard drive bay. The NZXT 200mm fan will go in the forward position in the top of the case.

    I didn't notice it could have another 200mm on the inside of the side panel. So add another NZXT 200mm fan for the side panel if you want. Never mind scratch the 200mm side fan idea it won't fit with that Noctua CPU cooler since it is 160mm tall and the max size with the side fan installed is 150mm.
    http://www.nzxt.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/3/2/cpu-cooler-clearance

    So just the 2 fans (the 140mm and 200mm) and you should be good
  4. fixer762 said:
    http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

    Click the link for the NZXT website, then click on the gallery tab, 2nd column 3rd row is the picture to give you a jist of where the fans will go.

    The 140mm Noctua fan will go in front of the hard drive bay. The NZXT 200mm fan will go in the forward position in the top of the case.

    I didn't notice it could have another 200mm on the inside of the side panel. So add another NZXT 200mm fan for the side panel if you want. Never mind scratch the 200mm side fan idea it won't fit with that Noctua CPU cooler since it is 160mm tall and the max size with the side fan installed is 150mm.
    http://www.nzxt.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/3/2/cpu-cooler-clearance

    So just the 2 fans (the 140mm and 200mm) and you should be good


    should i change the cpu cooler to fit another fan on the side panel?
  5. The only thing im not sure about is the ram. 1600 speed has been around for a while... why not go for the fastest?
    that and which sound card to buy.

    also I think I found some better ram for cheaper http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl10s8gbxl
  6. Yeah just get 2 of those 8gb 1866 gskill sticks and you should be good to go.
  7. fixer762 said:
    Yeah just get 2 of those 8gb 1866 gskill sticks and you should be good to go.


    Someone told me that putting a 200mm fan on the side door will hit the CPU fan that i choose simply because there isn't enough space in the case, is this true?
  8. djangoringo said:


    Someone told me that putting a 200mm fan on the side door will hit the CPU fan that i choose simply because there isn't enough space in the case, is this true?
  9. James Musacchio said:
    Someone told me that putting a 200mm fan on the side door will hit the CPU fan that i choose simply because there isn't enough space in the case, is this true?


    Yes, that is true and I'm the one who typed that. Either get a different case with more clearance
    or get a different cpu cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608020
    It probably won't cool as well though.
    Or just don't get the side fan and build the system and post your temperatures.

    More case options
    Rosewill BLACKHAWK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157
    COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245

    Or if you don't want to worry about a new case fitting hardware for a very long time. Very expensive though, but worth it and they are very high quality.

    Mountain Mods
    http://www.mountainmods.com/

    Case Labs
    http://www.caselabs-store.com/cases/
  10. fixer762 said:
    Yes, that is true and I'm the one who typed that. Either get a different case with more clearance
    or get a different cpu cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608020
    It probably won't cool as well though.
    Or just don't get the side fan and build the system and post your temperatures.

    More case options
    Rosewill BLACKHAWK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157
    COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245

    Or if you don't want to worry about a new case fitting hardware for a very long time. Very expensive though, but worth it and they are very high quality.

    Mountain Mods
    http://www.mountainmods.com/

    Case Labs
    http://www.caselabs-store.com/cases/


    so would staying with the original CPU cooler be better or getting a smaller one and adding another fan to the side?
  11. The Noctua NH-D14 will cool better because it has more heatsink surface area and will blow air straight out the back of the case.
    Like I said it might be a good idea to buy the stuff and start building the system then post your results so we can stop playing the thought experiment game.
    Either setup will work and do whatever you want it to do.

    Take a look at those Mountain Mods and Case Labs case links in my last post, they are what I believe are the best cases on the market.
  12. fixer762 said:
    The Noctua NH-D14 will cool better because it has more heatsink surface area and will blow air straight out the back of the case.
    Like I said it might be a good idea to buy the stuff and start building the system then post your results so we can stop playing the thought experiment game.
    Either setup will work and do whatever you want it to do.

    Take a look at those Mountain Mods and Case Labs case links in my last post, they are what I believe are the best cases on the market.


    haha good idea,
  13. fixer762 said:
    The Noctua NH-D14 will cool better because it has more heatsink surface area and will blow air straight out the back of the case.
    Like I said it might be a good idea to buy the stuff and start building the system then post your results so we can stop playing the thought experiment game.
    Either setup will work and do whatever you want it to do.

    Take a look at those Mountain Mods and Case Labs case links in my last post, they are what I believe are the best cases on the market.


    one more thing though, I'm going to have more fans than fan controllers on the motherboard so what fan controller should i get? is this any good or is there better?
  14. James Musacchio said:
    one more thing though, I'm going to have more fans than fan controllers on the motherboard so what fan controller should i get? is this any good or is there better?


    You don't need a fan controller. If you stay with the phantom case it has a fan controller.
    READ THIS
    http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

    It already has a 5 channels and 20W per channel to control the fans.

    Get some Bit Fenix fan split power cables. You can get the 3pin fan header times 3 to one 3pin or 3X 3pin to Molex. They can power 3 fans and come in many flavors 12V (full speed), 7V (medium speed), and 5V (low speed) and many colors.
    Molex is what I would get and just plug it into the power supply and run it at full speed (12v).
    The fans you have selected and the ones in that NZXT case are already really quiet.
    Here is the link to fan power spilter cables.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c251/s274/list/p1/b193/BitFenix_-Fan_Cables-Fan_Cabling-Page1.html

    If you


    If you need some random computer cables here is a nice list to pick from
    http://www.frozencpu.com/brands/brand/b193/BitFenix_.html?id=JjLD2F67
  15. fixer762 said:
    You don't need a fan controller. If you stay with the phantom case it has a fan controller.
    READ THIS
    http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

    It already has a 5 channels and 20W per channel to control the fans.

    Get some Bit Fenix fan split power cables. You can get the 3pin fan header times 3 to one 3pin or 3X 3pin to Molex. They can power 3 fans and come in many flavors 12V (full speed), 7V (medium speed), and 5V (low speed) and many colors.
    Molex is what I would get and just plug it into the power supply and run it at full speed (12v).
    The fans you have selected and the ones in that NZXT case are already really quiet.
    Here is the link to fan power spilter cables.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c251/s274/list/p1/b193/BitFenix_-Fan_Cables-Fan_Cabling-Page1.html

    If you


    If you need some random computer cables here is a nice list to pick from
    http://www.frozencpu.com/brands/brand/b193/BitFenix_.html?id=JjLD2F67


    oh awesome, but can the integrated fan controller connect to the motherboard or can it automatically change fan speed based upon temperature? or no?
  16. Watch this Time to Live Customs review of the Phantom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLnzIxk104

    No you control the fan speeds on the top of the case I think. The built in fan controller does NOT plug into the motherboard, it plugs into a 4 pin molex to the power supply.

    It wouldn't hurt just to plug all the fans into the power supply, unless you are one of those folks who must have a quiet system.
    I like hearing the woosh, its just background noise I learned to live with, kinda like noises from traffic on highway if you live close to one, you just get used the the noise.
  17. fixer762 said:
    Watch this Time to Live Customs review of the Phantom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLnzIxk104

    No you control the fan speeds on the top of the case I think. The built in fan controller does NOT plug into the motherboard, it plugs into a 4 pin molex to the power supply.

    It wouldn't hurt just to plug all the fans into the power supply, unless you are one of those folks who must have a quiet system.
    I like hearing the woosh, its just background noise I learned to live with, kinda like noises from traffic on highway if you live close to one, you just get used the the noise.


    I lol'd so hard when you said "I like hearing the woosh, its just background noise I learned to live with"
    Nostalgic huh? I agree lol and thanx for the link.
  18. James Musacchio said:
    I lol'd so hard when you said "I like hearing the woosh, its just background noise I learned to live with"
    Nostalgic huh? I agree lol and thanx for the link.


    Well I must be doing something right if you are laughing.
    Hope your build goes well.
  19. fixer762 said:
    Well I must be doing something right if you are laughing.
    Hope your build goes well.


    haha yes, but now i have changed the case and all the fans. i know where all the fans go in the case but i'm not sure if there is enough clearance for all of them or if i should go with water cooling or different fans. there are a few all in one liquid coolers by NZXT. also, if you see anything that can be improved let me know.

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($187.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: NZXT FS-200RB 89.5 CFM 200mm Fan ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: NZXT FX-140LB 98.3 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Case Fan: NZXT FX-140LB 98.3 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Case Fan: NZXT FX-140LB 98.3 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($269.89 @ Adorama)
    Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard ($71.49 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2428.16
  20. fixer762 said:
    Well I must be doing something right if you are laughing.
    Hope your build goes well.


    or should i replace the two top 200 fans with this for the CPU cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146028&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Water+%2f+Liquid+Cooling-_-N82E16835146028&gclid=CLS4h4_DsrUCFQTe4Aod4H8Anw

    that one is liquid
  21. If you want an all-in-one watercooler loop check for this one : http://www.swiftech.com/h220.aspx

    I'd get the nzxt switch 810, and invest in a 1440p monitor from ebay, you can find catleap ones for ~400$.
    You don't need 16GB, but i guess it's a lost cause.
    For an aircooler, i still recommend either the noctua or phanteks.
    That psu is way expensive, if you want a white psu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703039
    But i still rather get the xfx 850 for just 103$ after mir.
    Both are high quality psus.
  22. djangoringo said:
    If you want an all-in-one watercooler loop check for this one : http://www.swiftech.com/h220.aspx

    I'd get the nzxt switch 810, and invest in a 1440p monitor from ebay, you can find catleap ones for ~400$.
    You don't need 16GB, but i guess it's a lost cause.
    For an aircooler, i still recommend either the noctua or phanteks.
    That psu is way expensive, if you want a white psu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703039
    But i still rather get the xfx 850 for just 103$ after mir.
    Both are high quality psus.


    the only thing about those 1440p monitors that i don't like is that they dont go to 144hz like the one i have selected. but i guess alot of the stuff i have selected is for aesthetics :/
  23. I'd take over a 1440p ips monitor over a 1080p 144 hz tn panel one.
  24. djangoringo said:
    If you want an all-in-one watercooler loop check for this one : http://www.swiftech.com/h220.aspx

    I'd get the nzxt switch 810, and invest in a 1440p monitor from ebay, you can find catleap ones for ~400$.
    You don't need 16GB, but i guess it's a lost cause.
    For an aircooler, i still recommend either the noctua or phanteks.
    That psu is way expensive, if you want a white psu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703039
    But i still rather get the xfx 850 for just 103$ after mir.
    Both are high quality psus.


    would you recommend water cooling or fans? is water cooling significantly better than fans or only marginally better?
  25. djangoringo said:
    I'd take over a 1440p ips monitor over a 1080p 144 hz tn panel one.


    whats ips and tn?
    edit, i researched it and yeah, maybe ill go with a 1440p ips
  26. djangoringo said:
    I'd take over a 1440p ips monitor over a 1080p 144 hz tn panel one.


    does this board support this ram?
    board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
    ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    because the board says 1866 O.C. when the ram is just normal 1866
  27. It supports, but it will default to 1600*, the memory controller of the ivybridge cpus only supports till 1600, it's possible to go further than, with the motherboard in question.
    You don't need the 16GB unless you plan to create a ram disk, games don't utilize more than 8GB.
  28. djangoringo said:
    It supports, but it will default to 1866, the memory controller of the ivybridge cpus only supports till 1600, it's possible to go further than, with the motherboard in question.
    You don't need the 16GB unless you plan to create a ram disk, games don't utilize more than 8GB.


    you said it defauts to 1866 but it is 1866? did you mean defaults to 1600? And ah I do plan on playing around with my ram, ram disks and things like CAD or video and music editing with adobe CS6.1
  29. Yes, defaults to 1600, it was a typo.
  30. djangoringo said:
    Yes, defaults to 1600, it was a typo.


    oh thank you so much man. I'm definitely getting different ram then. or should i get another motherboard? what would be a better board for faster ram?

    i much just change the ram though and stick with the motherboard i have now. I'm about to buy all of it.
  31. There's no motherboard for faster ram, all of them will default to 1600, you can raise manually the frequency in the bios or turn on the xmp profile.
  32. Here is a nice review on the NZXT Phantom 820 case you selected.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phantom-820-computer-case-review,3330.html

    You should be able to fit everything in the case well even the fan in front of the graphics cards.
    Your card are 289 mm long and the graphics card room is 330 mm w/o fan. So even with the 25 mm thick fan you will be fine as long as you don't pivot the fan.

    If the guy wants to spend his money on 16gb of ram it is his decision.

    For 1000W+ power supplies I would go with a Seasonic X-SERIES X-1050, they make all of their own power supplies and made the Corsair gold power supplies.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110
    So to sum up your current build, I would only replace the power supply with the Seasonic one mentioned above. Last thing I want is to have your system run because the power supply was subpar.

    According to this chart that NZXT Hale 90 PSU is made by FSP, I don't know how good or bad they are.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-8.html

    Have fun building your machine.
  33. The nzxt switch 810 is more than suffice, that case is too much expensive, the nzxt hale90 is a good psu, fsp is a good psu make.
    But he doesn't need 1000W, a good psu within 850W will do.
    The seasonic x-850 is now at 110$ after promo code and rebate : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102
    A good psu within 850 from xfx,seasonic, rosewill capstone, pc power and cooling, fsp will do.
  34. fixer762 said:
    Here is a nice review on the NZXT Phantom 820 case you selected.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phantom-820-computer-case-review,3330.html

    You should be able to fit everything in the case well even the fan in front of the graphics cards.
    Your card are 289 mm long and the graphics card room is 330 mm w/o fan. So even with the 25 mm thick fan you will be fine as long as you don't pivot the fan.

    If the guy wants to spend his money on 16gb of ram it is his decision.

    For 1000W+ power supplies I would go with a Seasonic X-SERIES X-1050, they make all of their own power supplies and made the Corsair gold power supplies.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110
    So to sum up your current build, I would only replace the power supply with the Seasonic one mentioned above. Last thing I want is to have your system run because the power supply was subpar.

    According to this chart that NZXT Hale 90 PSU is made by FSP, I don't know how good or bad they are.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-8.html

    Have fun building your machine.


    Thanx man for all the info and link. I appreciate the calculations too :D very much lol
  35. djangoringo said:
    The nzxt switch 810 is more than suffice, that case is too much expensive, the nzxt hale90 is a good psu, fsp is a good psu make.
    But he doesn't need 1000W, a good psu within 850W will do.
    The seasonic x-850 is now at 110$ after promo code and rebate : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102
    A good psu within 850 from xfx,seasonic, rosewill capstone, pc power and cooling, fsp will do.


    haha I know i don't need the 830 phantom case :D it's just for show and I love the lights etc.
  36. djangoringo said:
    The nzxt switch 810 is more than suffice, that case is too much expensive, the nzxt hale90 is a good psu, fsp is a good psu make.
    But he doesn't need 1000W, a good psu within 850W will do.
    The seasonic x-850 is now at 110$ after promo code and rebate : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102
    A good psu within 850 from xfx,seasonic, rosewill capstone, pc power and cooling, fsp will do.


    Like you mentioned before, I know 1600 is the fasted ram speed without OC but I've read that some people who buy 1833 or faster ram gets clocked down to 1333 instead of 1600. Do you know anything about this or should it clock down to 1600?

    I'm getting this ram because its literally the same price as the 1600 speed version on Amazon. I was wondering if it could actually be slower than the 1600 version or if i should just play it safe by going with the 1600 speed ones.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y6T9MM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38XCO6G2I42HO
  37. Like i said the performance difference will be negligible, i rather get crucial ram at 1.35v and which is a lot cheaper and overclock it myself, it speeds are 1600 mhz default, and since you want 16GB, get the crucial :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148663
  38. djangoringo said:
    Like i said the performance difference will be negligible, i rather get crucial ram at 1.35v and which is a lot cheaper and overclock it myself, it speeds are 1600 mhz default, and since you want 16GB, get the crucial :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148663


    what do you think about the monitor and keyboard that I have seclected?

    I've heard non mechanical keyboards are slower or not as good in some ways and I like this monitor because of the 144hz refresh rate but if there's something better for a similar price or even more expensive let me know.
  39. djangoringo said:
    Like i said the performance difference will be negligible, i rather get crucial ram at 1.35v and which is a lot cheaper and overclock it myself, it speeds are 1600 mhz default, and since you want 16GB, get the crucial :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148663


    oh also I just wanted to check that since im getting a monitor that goes past 60hz,will my gfx card automatically unlock past 60 frames per second and go up as high as they can all the way up to 144 possibly unless i set a lower cap?
  40. This is my current build, I'm planning on purchasing mostly through amazon tomorrow (to improve my credit score lol)

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($192.15 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: NZXT FS-200RB 89.5 CFM 200mm Fan ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: NZXT FX-140LB 98.3 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Case Fan: NZXT FX-140LB 98.3 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Case Fan: NZXT FX-140LB 98.3 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($279.00 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $2444.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-14 00:40 EST-0500)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product