old game+new system

Hi i' trying to install a game but in its requirements list it says i need to
change the files or buffers in the config.sys file. 1. Where do i find this
config.sys file and 2. How do i edit it. Thank you for reading this and
replying.
4 answers Last reply
More about game system

    Most of the "older" games will run perfectly well on Windows XP, without
    making adjustments to the config file. Some need to use Compatibility Mode
    (details are in Help and Support), and this TechNet article will help you:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/lgcyapps.mspx

    Basically, what Compatibility Mode does is allow the older program to
    "think" it is being installed on the operating system for which it was
    designed. You also need to pay attention to the game's requirements, and
    some need to be installed using Compatibility starting with the installation
    itself by going to Start/Run/Browse and locating the install.exe or
    setup.exe file on the root of the CD. You can right-click that file, follow
    the pattern to use Compatibility Mode and have it install.

    After the install, make sure to update the program from the web site of the
    creator, then right-click the icon you'll use to launch the game and make
    sure the proper Compatibility settings are ready. You also need to make
    sure the proper display and color settings are selected.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Comp_Illiterate" <Comp_Illiterate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:FF836AE3-7AB9-412D-8CEF-111902DA21CB@microsoft.com...

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > Most of the "older" games will run perfectly well on Windows XP, without
    > making adjustments to the config file. Some need to use Compatibility Mode
    > (details are in Help and Support), and this TechNet article will help you:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/lgcyapps.mspx
    >
    > Basically, what Compatibility Mode does is allow the older program to
    > "think" it is being installed on the operating system for which it was
    > designed. You also need to pay attention to the game's requirements, and
    > some need to be installed using Compatibility starting with the installation
    > itself by going to Start/Run/Browse and locating the install.exe or
    > setup.exe file on the root of the CD. You can right-click that file, follow
    > the pattern to use Compatibility Mode and have it install.
    >
    > After the install, make sure to update the program from the web site of the
    > creator, then right-click the icon you'll use to launch the game and make
    > sure the proper Compatibility settings are ready. You also need to make
    > sure the proper display and color settings are selected.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Comp_Illiterate" <Comp_Illiterate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:FF836AE3-7AB9-412D-8CEF-111902DA21CB@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi i' trying to install a game but in its requirements list it says i need
    > > change the files or buffers in the config.sys file. 1. Where do i find
    > > this
    > > config.sys file and 2. How do i edit it. Thank you for reading this and
    > > replying.
    >

    > That disn't work. The game is run out of MsDos. So do I have to change the file like it said and if i do how do i change it.

    Do a little search in this newsgroup for previous posts from Jimmy S. on DOS
    games. He's got some pretty good instructions.
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    message news:E6F145ED-2766-4CAA-8005-531A5A8F7D0D@microsoft.com...

    > "Chris H." wrote:
    >
    >> Most of the "older" games will run perfectly well on Windows XP, without
    >> making adjustments to the config file. Some need to use Compatibility
    >> Mode
    >> (details are in Help and Support), and this TechNet article will help
    >> you:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/lgcyapps.mspx
    >>
    >> Basically, what Compatibility Mode does is allow the older program to
    >> "think" it is being installed on the operating system for which it was
    >> designed. You also need to pay attention to the game's requirements,
    >> and
    >> some need to be installed using Compatibility starting with the
    >> installation
    >> itself by going to Start/Run/Browse and locating the install.exe or
    >> setup.exe file on the root of the CD. You can right-click that file,
    >> follow
    >> the pattern to use Compatibility Mode and have it install.
    >>
    >> After the install, make sure to update the program from the web site of
    >> the
    >> creator, then right-click the icon you'll use to launch the game and make
    >> sure the proper Compatibility settings are ready. You also need to make
    >> sure the proper display and color settings are selected.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Comp_Illiterate" <Comp_Illiterate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:FF836AE3-7AB9-412D-8CEF-111902DA21CB@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi i' trying to install a game but in its requirements list it says i
    >> > need
    >> > change the files or buffers in the config.sys file. 1. Where do i find
    >> > this
    >> > config.sys file and 2. How do i edit it. Thank you for reading this
    >> > and
    >> > replying.
    >>

    >> That disn't work. The game is run out of MsDos. So do I have to change
    >> the file like it said and if i do how do i change it.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    You rang? ;-)

    When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
    bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
    and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.

    With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
    which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

    If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
    tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/faq.php and
    http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
    issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OkcfKPnNFHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Do a little search in this newsgroup for previous posts from Jimmy S. on DOS games. He's got some pretty good instructions.
    > In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Comp_Illiterate" <CompIlliterate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Chris H." wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most of the "older" games will run perfectly well on Windows XP, without
    >>> making adjustments to the config file. Some need to use Compatibility Mode
    >>> (details are in Help and Support), and this TechNet article will help you:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/lgcyapps.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Basically, what Compatibility Mode does is allow the older program to
    >>> "think" it is being installed on the operating system for which it was
    >>> designed. You also need to pay attention to the game's requirements, and
    >>> some need to be installed using Compatibility starting with the installation
    >>> itself by going to Start/Run/Browse and locating the install.exe or
    >>> setup.exe file on the root of the CD. You can right-click that file, follow
    >>> the pattern to use Compatibility Mode and have it install.
    >>>
    >>> After the install, make sure to update the program from the web site of the
    >>> creator, then right-click the icon you'll use to launch the game and make
    >>> sure the proper Compatibility settings are ready. You also need to make
    >>> sure the proper display and color settings are selected.
    >>> --
    >>> Chris H.
    >>> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>

    >>> "Comp_Illiterate" <Comp_Illiterate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:FF836AE3-7AB9-412D-8CEF-111902DA21CB@microsoft.com...
    >>>

    >>> That disn't work. The game is run out of MsDos. So do I have to change the file like it said and if i do how do i change it.

Configuration Games Microsoft Windows XP