Laggy New Build :(

lemongrassmari

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hello! ^^

I am a first time PC builder and I built my first PC two days ago. It was running so so beautifully when I first logged on. But since this afternoon it has been so laggy. Right now, as I am writing this post the text is actually lagging! I feel pretty upset because I spent ~$1400 on my build and I worked so hard to build it. :cry:

I have a:
i7 LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge CPU, a ASRock Extreme4 motherboard, 16GB RAM, a 128GB kingston hyper X SSD, a 620 watt seasonic modular power supply, a Asus 24'' LED backlit monitor, a EVGA GT 640 video card (I skimped on the video card since I don't do any gaming past freeware games), and a white corsair graphite case. I am running and official version of Windows 8 OEM.

I had problems with a laggy mouse in the very beginning but I simply switched the USB 2.0 port it was connected to and it stopped being laggy. All I did today was install synthesia, download 2 MOBI files, and install a few apps from the windows 8 store. I already tried rebooting my PC but it's still laggy.

I am 99% sure that I installed everything correctly. I'm not going to lie, connecting cables was my major setback during the build but I spent 3 hours making sure everything was connected properly.

Please help me! TT_TT

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Did you update all your drivers to the most current versions? Chipset, USB, Lan, etc? What happened when it got laggy? What did you DL right before it? Are you running out of space on anything?

To be sure, the key imput is laggy?

Sorry to hear your build hit a wall somewhere. Hope you can get this resolved quickly.

lemongrassmari

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Thanks for your reply! My drivers are up to date, I'll try reinstalling all my drivers--I have already reinstalled my LAN driver but it did not help but I will also reinstall the other ones.

Yes, the actual key input is laggy too---this makes me think maybe it is just not a problem with my LAN.

Whoa! I never thought that maybe I did not have enough memory--I checked and I only have ~39GB out of 111GB. So only 39% of the full amount left. I actually have a 1TB WD mechanical hard drive but my power supply only came with 2 SATA3 cables so I could only install the optical drive and SSD. I have already bought a SATA3 cable and I am waiting for it to come in the mail--hopefully that will solve the problem?

Thanks! I hope so too! ^^

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hard to say, but it's not unreasonable. Honestly, I wouldn't put anything on the SSD besides the OS and maybe a game you're currently playing. So once you get your new cable, hook up the HDD, transfer the stuff you want.

If that doesn't resolve it, I'd reinstall windows. Are the drivers your using from the website or the CD you received? CD ones are not always the most current, so make sure you check the website to make sure you're not behind a revision or two.

lemongrassmari

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Okay, I will definitely move my non-OS files ASAP when I get the mechanical hard drive installed! I have not intentionally updated windows by going online since I thought it was the same thing as choosing "update and restart" in the power settings of Win8, which I have done.

I went to the task manager on the performance tab o get this info (is that the right way to get it?)

CPU: utilization = 5% ; speed =1.7-2.0GHz ; processes = 58 ; threads = 874 ; L1 cache = 256KB ; L2 cache = 1.0MB, L3 cache = 8.0MB

Memory: in use = 2.5 GB ; available = 13.2 GB ; committed = 3.0/31.9GB ; cached =7.9GB ; speed = 1600MHz

BTW I edited out the ethernet info--it seems to change with the process I do so there is too much change to provide #s

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
No... not updating windows... updating drivers. Drivers are programs that allow the pieces of your computer to work correctly. You need to go to asrock's website and update the chipset (labeled "INF"), the USB driver, the LAN driver, and the Audio Driver. You also need to go to EVGA's website and download the updated driver for the video card (you can also go to nvidia for this, but EVGA would be preferred). That's why the USB 3.0 isn't working, and like we've already said, the most likely reason your computer isn't functioning properly.

lemongrassmari

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Yes, I did all of this already, update windows 8 and my separate video card and motherboard drivers through their respective websites. The only one I did not reinstall was USB 3.0 since I only use my USB 2.0 ports but I'll reinstall that one. I was talking about updating the windows OS in my last message and how I think going online to update and updating through control panel/power button are the same thing. ^^

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Obviously you're using 6gb/s sata cables (because that's what comes with the mobo), do you have them plugged in the sata III ports? Also, I'd just unhook the optical drive and connect the HDD unless you really need the optical drive now. See if it solves the problem.

have you check that the mb bios has been patched there been some patchs for video cards and usb devices for the x7x chipset. check the bios rev on the first page of your bios. if it a few rev below the newest bios i would update it. if it not a chipset issue it could be malware or a virus. i would download malware bytes and do a scan. then boto off of a hirem boot cd or usb stick and scan for a virus. (make sure the hirem cd made from a clean system.).

lemongrassmari

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Yes, I did get the INF one and yes they are plugged into the SATA3 ports. I connected the HDD and disconnected the optical drive...but I could only copy over 22gb (the user files) which is not much so I don't think that was what was slowing down my build :(

lemongrassmari

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Yesterday I actually downloaded and installed some BIOS updates...although I don't know if I installed any patches, but I did install most of the ones on: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4&o=All

Is the patch you're talking about on there?

I'm not sure what you mean by bios rev, do you mean bios version? If so it is "American Megatrends Inc. P2.50, 10/31/2012"

While I don't think I have any malware/viruses I will do the scan to cover all my bases. What do you mean by booting off a usb?

Thanks for your help! ^^

the 2.5 bios is close to the last update. the newest ones are here.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4&o=BIOS
the 2.8 bios is the last bios.
i would run some hard drive tools like hd tunes and see if your hard drive is fine. also check that the hard drive is on the intel sata port (6g or 3g). i would also use f8 safe mode and then run msconfig and turn everything off in start up. also in safe mode check that you dont have more then one malware program or anti virus program running. a lot of softwares now drop mcafees or nortons software durning the install.