New Build Newbie

G

please elaborate. people please lets be at least a TAD constructive :/

i can understand the RAM cooler not doing much or anything at all.

what makes the i5 a better choice over the i7?

and don't just say something is better then something.

will my case not work? everything will not fit or something?

is the PSU not the proper unit for my system?

i don't care about getting top-of-the line stuff. so long it all works. and does what it is supposed to do. if i have to send a part back for something different. then so be it. i am patient. but i would like to put the effort in to make sure everything goes smoothly the first time... and pray for i don't need to RMA anything :/

please everyone who has computer building experience. i am spending over 1k USD here and i do not wanna make any mistakes. i want everything to go together like peas in a pod.

again i am also still new to the whole water cooling thing. can someone help me understand the supplies i will need and where to buy them?

lol the last computer i even bought let alone built was so long ago. it was one of those Pentium 2 machines with the brick processors that looked like giant game cartridges :D so lol i am quite out of the know of what is what. :/

The i5 doesn't have hyperthreading. Games don't hyperthread. Most people with i7's have them for video encoding and when gaming disable hperthreading because it makes the chip faster. An i5 is better for gaming because of this reason.

The case you picked is from an off brand and will be lower in quality. Look at the brands I suggested above for a quality case.

Your PSU is from a less reputable brand. Get one from the brands I listed above and it will perform better and be less likely to fail.

Proper custom made watercooling is generally around $400 for just the system and then you have to build it yourself. (not for noobs) Closed loop coolers like the corsair h series, aren't better by much if any than the good air coolers. Get a noctua ndh14. Its better than basically all closed loop coolers.

g-unit1111

Titan
what makes the i5 a better choice over the i7?

and don't just say something is better then something.

The i7 has hyper threading which isn't needed for gaming - there's very few (if any) games that take advantage of it. The i5 is $100 cheaper and performs almost exactly the same.

will my case not work? everything will not fit or something?

Sentey is an off brand as was said - their cases are of very poor quality construction and won't last as long as something made from Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, or NZXT.

is the PSU not the proper unit for my system?

Same thing - the power supply is an off brand and will likely be very cheaply made and use poor quality components. This would be a better PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

i don't care about getting top-of-the line stuff. so long it all works. and does what it is supposed to do. if i have to send a part back for something different. then so be it. i am patient. but i would like to put the effort in to make sure everything goes smoothly the first time... and pray for i don't need to RMA anything :/

That's not the attitude you want to have when building a system. If you get cheap components - especially case and power supply - you will likely wind up RMA'ing something. Cheap cases and power supplies ARE NOT WORTH IT, I cannot emphasize that enough.

RAM cooling

is this really going to make an impact on keeping my RAM sticks cool?

No - the extra RAM cooling fan isn't really needed. You don't need to spend money here.

What I would suggest on the original build:

- BD-R is a massive hassle to get to work properly on a PC. Not to mention the software is ridiculously expensive and not included. I'd say drop this and get a cheapo Lite ON DVD burner.

- The extra thermal compound is a waste of money, and Corsair liquid coolers are expensive and noisy. Get a Noctua NH-U9B instead.

- Don't include accessories like the surge protector in your budget.

- The RAM cooling fan is a waste of money. You don't need it.

G

alright! thank you tiny voices & g-unit1111. these are MUCH more informative responses then before.

now i did do some searching before i made this topic. and everything i had read about HT just sounded good. but there was also a lot i did not understand. however your responses has inclined me to go with the 3570k. so kudos on helping me save money there :)

i looked up both Noctua coolers mentioned and neither one seems to be compatible with LGA 1155. the one, Noctua NH-D14, is for i7-39xx/38xx. and the other has no mention of it fitting onto LGA 1155.

i have replaced the previously chosen PSU with the one suggested. and found a Cooler Master case.

as much as i would like to drop the Blu Ray thing as it will save lots of money... i do want a blu ray drive so i can watch movies from disc. i decided on that one cause it had Lightscribe. i remember lightscribe being big back in the day. maybe not so anymore.

but i am curious as to what issues blu ray will have with PC? i own a ps3. so if it is really that bad i will just drop the drive all together.

g-unit1111

Titan
as much as i would like to drop the Blu Ray thing as it will save lots of money... i do want a blu ray drive so i can watch movies from disc. i decided on that one cause it had Lightscribe. i remember lightscribe being big back in the day. maybe not so anymore.

but i am curious as to what issues blu ray will have with PC? i own a ps3. so if it is really that bad i will just drop the drive all together.

BD-R software is incredibly finicky with displays. 1/2 the time when I attempt to watch a BD movie on my system it will freeze and give me an error code saying that something involving my system isn't HDCP compliant. Numerous Google searches turn up nothing on how to correct this annoyance - even my HTPC gives me the same issues. Not to mention the software you need to buy to playback BD-R movies is ridiculously overpriced - the best software I've found is ArcSoft Total Media Theater but that runs $99 a license. :ouch:

i looked up both Noctua coolers mentioned and neither one seems to be compatible with LGA 1155. the one, Noctua NH-D14, is for i7-39xx/38xx. and the other has no mention of it fitting onto LGA 1155.

They make special versions for X79 platforms (39XX, etc) but they also make LGA 1155 compatible coolers. This is the one I'm refertring to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016

G

alrighty. well forget the blu ray then :p

the cooler you suggest is sadly out of stock. and i completely overlooked where it says it comes with a mounting kit for LGA 1155. it says it in the Overview tab but not the Details tab. sorry :/ i will search the main website and look through their provided retailers for another store.

i am so glad i came here to seek assistance. between the both of you, g-unit1111 & tiny voices, i have been able to save 200$, and still be confident that this new build meet and exceed my expectations. :) and also not break on me in the next two weeks :D

i am not sure if there much of anything else to do cept wait for money then order :)

thank you tons to the both of you. i greatly appreciate it. and i know my wallet does too :p poor thing rather starves most of the time :-x

G

okay well the money still has not come and i have been doing alot research and some up with another build for about the same price.

so please any opinions are welcomed.

my main concern is the case.

Crosshair V Formula-Z

AMD FX-8350

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7950

OCZ Technology Vertex 4 128GB

Corsair CX Series CP-9020061-NA 750W

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System OR Phanteks PH-TC14PE???

and the final thing... Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition

again my primary concern is the case. but if anyone see anything that stands out i am still plenty open to suggestions.

my concerns about the case is well... if everything i have listed will fit in it or not.

also if the case stays cool with the factory fans. i mean i have seen cases with more installed fans. and even cases with some kind of vent duct on the side panel. i just wanna be sure that getting a case like this is not going to be for nothing. will these extra fans be sufficient enough to keep ambient temps down? should i be looking at another case?

if you are going to suggest another case please keep it 150$ or lower. also a HUGE bonus will be if the case has a button for the Directkey thingy on the mobo.