Sign in with
Your question

Cooling stuff

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2002 1:05:59 PM

I've been looking at some cooling solutions for my system (i want to be prepared for the overclocking that my system will soon suffer) and i'm wondering if this fan is any good to keep the air circulation nice.
http://www.globalwinusa.com/products/caf12.html

With a monstrous 74.5CFM, i thought this maybe enough, but I don't know a lot about these things. Also, it's only £15 which is a lot cheaper than anything else in this country.

I've also got a Geforce2 MX200 which will soon become an experimental piece of kit for o/clocking purposes, but i'll need some cooling for that. Would strapping an old 486 HSF to it do the biz?(which happens to have been adequate for a P120 o/clocked to P133 in the distant past) or do i need to get the real mccoy?

More about : cooling stuff

February 3, 2002 5:31:35 PM

Looks nice, slow and quiet but with much airmovement.
I use an P75 cooler on my GF2 MX which is OC'ed from 175/166 to 220/205 (GPU/mem), but I also installed some RAMsinks.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2002 6:55:34 PM

GF2 MX ... the highest clock/mem freq in my geforce settings is 220/190 but they run nowhere near this. The highest reliable setting i've managed is 190/160. could this card be buggered then? I've a 486 hsf strapped to it since my last post, and it hasn't enabled any higher clock speeds, although the card does not feel any hotter
Related resources
February 4, 2002 2:50:26 PM

Did you used some Arctic Silver when mounting the heatsink?
You might need some RAM sinks to OC your mem higher, but it always can be the quality of your card, every card has his own limits.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2002 8:36:01 PM

I think poor quality is the issue here, but i've just stuck a geforce 2 ti in it, and massive improvements. I can overclock the mem and core to the max without any problems so far, but i haven't really got any decent benchmark programs, just sandra shareware. But so far so good. It's an Asus card, and they're decent right? It seems good. The geforce mx is now sitting redundant on my desk, so i'll flog it to one of my mates for a ridiculous profit. The hsf on it ten times better than the thing that was on it.
BTW, the hsf on the Asus is superb. Silent, almost and it shifts the heat nicely.
February 5, 2002 3:19:26 PM

The GeForce2 Ti is much more better then the MX200, afterall the MX200 is the <b>worst</b> performing GeForce2 chip.
I also have an Asus and I can OC it pretty high, so I think Asus is one of the decent videocardmakers.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2002 9:47:48 AM

I agree, i've been o/clocking my asus to the full with no problems at all. I've got the CAF12 fan from globalwin. It's quite loud and it looks rather industrial, but it's knocked about 10c off my graphics card. Unfortunately my m/board doesn't show temperatures although it's meant to, so i'm not sure what my m/board and cpu are running at, but the hsf on the cpu doesn't feel warm, but i have got the caf12 blowing onto that as well which will help. But otherwise the caf12 is a good cooler.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2002 1:58:08 PM

It's a Jetway 867. It doesn't have them in the BIOS either, and the driver CD that came with it has the software for it, but it says that my m/board don't support it. But, first of all I had the Jetway 866 which I changed because I was having problems, and that one did display the temperature etc.. on boot up. My 867 IS supposed to display it but I don't know why. There's very little difference between this one and the 866 apart from this one supporting sdram. But i'm currently trying the site you've recommended, so we'll see how it goes....
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2002 2:12:39 PM

I just d/loaded, installed rebooted and run the software, and it's giving me my voltages etc.. but it's nice to see a temperature of 0c. hmmm... oh well, i'll email jetway and find out what the crack is.
!