PNY GTX 670 vs Gigabyte 7950

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
You could probably get the 7950 overclocked past an overclocked 670, but the 670 is stronger at stock. That's a really good deal for a 670, and that is what I think I would go for. But honestly, I think that it just depends on which one games that you want more.

I've always considered PNY a top quality manufacturer, though I've not owned any of their cards personally. Excellent warranties though, which is always good. Like people are saying, the GTX670 is an amazing deal, so I wouldn't hesitate to hold onto that.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
That is a great deal for a 670. Beware though lots of people have had issues with PNY over the years and I certainly would not consider them a top quality manufacturer. I've known people that had issues with their cards and they simply came up with excuses to deny the warranty.

donjuan835

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I think I am going to probably go with the GTX 670. Sounds like the 7950 is a great overclocker, but I was able to get another $20 off of the PNY GTX 670 to bring it down to $260 AR, which seems to good to pass up.

tanoox2012

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Thank you very much!i found it last night and i end up geting the card for $260 with all rebates...sweeeet....best deal for this card.for what we saved is great.and with the money we can buy an aftermarket cooler.now,i am not sure if this card has the performance of the more expensive gtx 670 one or if can be overclocked well....is it?

And the GTX670 can be overclocked past the GTX680 bla bla bla... two reasons to disregard these arguments:

Firstly, pretty much any card can be overclocked past the model above it when the model above is at stock. That's a stupid comparison.

Secondly, no overclocks are guaranteed. Some cards of the same model will overclock much better than others. There was a thread recently of a guy RMAing his cards because they weren't overclocking as high as he had expected from other people's results.

And a third reason actually - not everyone wants to overclock! It reduces lifespan and voids warranty.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
That's why i talked about coolers at my comment. Depends if the OP is willing to OC his card or not. Honestly that GTX 670 is a no brainer at that price and the OP made a solid purchase. Use it well and don't forget to put every setting on high on your games :)

donjuan835

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I did end up purchasing one. I think that the deal was pretty slick. Is there any point in purchasing an aftermarket cooler for the card, or is it not worth the installation hassle?

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

Just try and see the experience first. Observe your temps in various games so you can draw a conclusion based on your choice. If you won't overclock you won't need a better cooler IMO

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012

The 680 is literally 4-5% stronger, that is not a next tier upgrade.
You can almost guaranty an overclock of that magnitude with any card, unless you are super unlucky.
Those companies have been pulling some pretty big tricks huh. The fact that MSI, Sapphire, and EVGA all have thier own overclocking program. So they give a product to their customers that voids warranties.

bill9803

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Too bad, it looks the PNY 670 card is out of stock. For a reference board, its pricing is indeed decent. I am still waiting for a promotion for non-reference GTX670 card like Gigabyte Windforce ..

Oipractechie

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I bought my PNY GTX 670 on a discounted price as well. Not bad for the price, but I'm very disappointed with the stock exhaust cooler. It gets very loud when playing something like BF3, or even something on the other side of that spectrum, such as The Sims 3! I did do a little over clocking though, getting the boost GPU clock up to 1080MHz vs. the stock 980MHz, and the memory up to 1702MHz vs. stock 1502 MHz. I currently have it installed on my Alienware Aurora R3, which doesn't help with the decibel levels because it ONLY HAS ONE FREAKIN FAN! Well, it has four total; one for the northbridge, one for the RAM, one to exhaust the air from the CPU water cooler, and the server fan for the entire case. I have to set the main fan up to 60%-70% when gaming, and even so the GPU can reach up to 70C where I have Precision X set to ramp up the fan speed 80% at 65C.

All in all, it's really loud. I'm to the point where I'll risk the lifetime warranty that PNY offers* to change either the thermal paste or the stock cooler all together. Maybe later down the line when the next gen cards come out, but for now I just have to deal with it.

My opinion, invest a little more money for a card maker that offers a custom cooling system, like someone mentioned Gigabyte and MSI... I've heard they have nice coolers that keep it not only cool, but also quiet!

donjuan835

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I have to agree with the above post. This card has been performing great, but when I game, it sounds like a hair dryer is going off inside my PC. I noticed a good deal on a Gigabyte 7970 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413). I am tempted to sell the games for $70 and eBay my GTX 670 for $300, so that I basically break even. The sound of this thing is just driving me nuts, lol.