Networking with Wired and Wireless one router

jwillis562

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I have 4 pc's in my home. 2 are connected to my netgear modem-router via ethernet cable and the other 2 are connecting to the modem-router via wireless. What is the best way to network all of them together?

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
if they are all conected then what is the problem?

cable them all would be best (am not a big WiFi fan)

what do you want to network them all for file sharing, gaming or just internet

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

I miss read your subject line, which then prejudiced me when I read your initial post.

If you have Windows 7, just join them to the same homegroup. There isn't any more to it than that.

jlandi

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

I would say what you want is a way to view your network activity, something like a network proxy or a tool to locally lock down websites on the boys' computers.

The way I usually go is to use OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/). It is just a quick entry into your main router and 'poof' all your comps are using it and you can get detailed reports of websites. It also allows you to block sites from people accessing them.

Hope this helps a little with one of the two issues.

Routersforhumans

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Since you have a Wi-Fi Router then you may network all of them wirelessly. This is indeed a great way, users walking around with their laptops, tablets and accessing internet. And as far as monitoring is concerned, you may use the functionality of "Parental control" "Mac Address filtering" options, which would make sure that devices connected to the network would work as per your instructions.

And you may also let your printer join the network(if the printer has the wireless capability). If not, wired printers can also be used as network printers but one condition, your router should have a USB port.