prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Several days ago, when I turned my computer on, it didn't boot up. I turned it off, and tried it again, then it worked. However, today when I turned it on, first time it said Physical Memory Dumping sth like that, I had to press the RESET, and everything seemed to work fine. however, my CAS Latency, which has always been shown as 2, now shows as 2.5 at bootup detection. I kept rebooting and turning on and off several times, but still 2.5. I checked in the BIOs, it was set to 2! BTW, I am using win2k + SP2,Athlon XP1700+, MSI K7T266PRO2-RU,and two sticks of APACER DDR 256MB RAM, etc. anyone has solutions to my problem?

Never trust in any unknown online vendors!!!

svol

Champion
Do you have CAS 2 or 2.5 memory? Check if you have set memory timings to manual, and not by SPD.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
It is set to SPD in BIOs cuz I thought that would be better. My memory can be either 2.5 or 2 CAS Latency according to www.apacer.com

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
The point is that when it is set to SPD, it already shows in the BIOs that CAS Latency is 2. However, when booting up, the memory dects as 2.5. It happened before once in a while, and will return to 2 next time. But ever since that memory dumping thing, it has always been showing 2.5.

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Duh, no one wants to help?
Another question here: now I leave the CAS Latency as SPD, although it shows 2 in BIOs, it is shown 2.5 at bootup memory detection. Is that gonna hurt my system?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I don't understand your question.

Do you mean if CAS is set to 2 cycles will hurt your machine or if 2.5 cycles will hurt it?

The setting will not "hurt" your machine. I just might not start up at a CAS setting of 2. The half cycle helps handle addressing managment issues for reads and writes. It is not like overclocking the component from 3.3V to 3.4V.

It is like setting your virtural memory to zero on your Pentium 100MHz and only having 32Mb of main memory RAM while running Window 2000. If probably will freeze, reboot, or lag really bad. (This might not be the best analogy but I think you get the point.)

<b>"I'll have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich." - Fletch</b> :lol: