Brand new pc won't work- help!

Sentinel Guy

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hi all

I bought a brand new prebuilt machine without an operating system installed. I have windows 7 premium to install, and all the discs for the motherboard, graphics etc. Essentially someone bought and put all the part together but didn't do anything else.

The one thing I lack is a monitor. I ran my old machine on my tv but when I booted my new machine up for the first time plugged into my tv it didn't work - there was nothing displayed.

I'm guessing that it's probably because I haven't installed the latest graphics drivers etc.

Do you normally have to connect a pc to a monitor the first time you boot it up or do tv's also work?

Thanks in advance.

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
You will probably need to change the display settings in order to get it to work with your HDTV, especially if you are using the HDMI or DVI connectors.

Does your HDTV have a VGA connector? Try that one if you have not done so yet.

check the back of the pc. if there a gpu (video card) and the mb has video ports. most new mb the video ports on the mb will be the first ones to come on. you should see if the mb is posting is the mb splash screen then a warning to have a os boot disk. (black screen with white letters). if there no splash screen on any of the ports. I would unplug the pc from the wall and let the mb drain then open the case..check that the ram and cards and cables are connected. sometimes in shipping things can bounce loose.