Transfering windows 7 to a new build

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I'm building a new PC and I was hoping to be able to transfer my HDD with 7 I've been using now onto the new one without any issues or without having to reinstall the whole OS. Is it possible? Will the be any major issues if I install the motherboard drivers on it without a fresh install?

Those curious:
Old build: M2n-sli deluxe, 2gb ddr2, athlon x2 7850 black edition, gtx 650 2gb
New build: biostar A880gz, 8gb ddr3, Phenom ii x4 965, gtx 650 2gb [I just bought the card a month ago]

On another note; Is it a decent build for $200 range? Just going for gaming. No overclocking, video editing or anything.

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
It's retail. I've tried it once before with no real issues [besides a bluescreen now and then but that was due to bad ram]. It was from this same motherboard now [the msi] to another one. Can't remember which.

How problematic would it be? I don't have any msi specific drivers on here. Maybe ones from the board when you first boot up a clean desktop boot [the ones like plugging in a usb device] but none that are programs.

I'm just asking for a short term to. A day or two so I can see if I gained anything or not. When I can; then I'll re-up windows 7 for that specific build. But until then, how bad could it be?

you can try by cloning your OS to the new hard drive . Plug it in to your existing computer .
Disconnect from your network and stay off line

You can do this using Acronis free 30 day trial
http://www.acronis.com/articles/cloning-software/

Once you have a complete clone disconnect the original drive , and then enter BIOS to check the new clone is set to be your boot drive .
Boot
Then enter windows device manager and remove/uninstall all the motherboard and chipset drivers
Turn the pc off at the wall . Do not reboot . Do not use windows to shut the PC down

Swap the drive to the new build and there is a very small chance it will start , and you can then run the appropriate motherboard disk

Honestly, a clean install is MUCH easier and you will have a better system . Use a nice transfer cable and windows files and setting transfer wizard to move everything