FZ20 and free case + battery offer

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 24, 2005 11:43:06 PM

For awhile Panasonic was offering a free case and battery with the purchase of an FZ20 from Circuit City. I bought my FZ20 during that period and mailed in my rebate forms, but have not received anything yet (it's been about seven weeks). Did anyone here apply for the rebate and receive the stuff?
January 25, 2005 10:20:02 AM

I ordered my Z20 through the same promotion. After about 8 weeks and having
to keep my camera wrapped in a towel to protect it, they sent me this tiny,
gray plastic thing, barely large enough to store a battery in, let alone my
Panasonic. I did get a battery with it, however. I took the plastic, tumor
looking thing to my local store and whined that the case was supposed to
worth about $60 since they originally said the value of the promotion was
$100 ($39 for the battery which leaves a $60 case value). Fortunately, the
manager of the store was customer-service-oriented and allowed me to pick
any case I wanted. So I did and have an incredibly good case as a result.
This is the kind of thing that leaves a bad taste with me regarding ordering
on line. It really irritates me that CC will gladly take your money in an
instant but can't get you your agreed item within a reasonable time frame.
If I were you, I would begin applying the "squeaky-wheel" method of getting
results. Go to your local store, if you have one, call customer service
from your paper work and e-mail anyone you can and begin bitching up a storm
until you get results. Good luck and hang in there.

bob

"Swingman" <sbt@silcom.com> wrote in message
For awhile Panasonic was offering a free case and battery with the purchase
of an FZ20 from Circuit City. I bought my FZ20 during that period and
mailed in my rebate forms, but have not received anything yet (it's been
about seven weeks). Did anyone here apply for the rebate and receive the
stuff?
January 25, 2005 8:35:57 PM

I also ordered my FZ20 when that camera bag plus battery rebate offer
was running in December. No luck so far in getting those items. I
definitely won't be a happy camper if the case they do eventually send
is cheap junk that isn't even large enough to hold the FZ20. If they
don't have better cases available to send then they should ship the
battery along with a coupon good for $60 off the purchase price of a
camera bag.

I've been keeping my FZ20 in an old padded bag I dug out of the garage
which was originally intended to carry around a Nintendo Entertainment
System. Plenty of storage room inside it, but I had to use sections
of bubble wrap for padded dividers to keep the items inside from
bumping against each other.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:20:02 -0800, "Robert" <robertpq@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I ordered my Z20 through the same promotion. After about 8 weeks and having
>to keep my camera wrapped in a towel to protect it, they sent me this tiny,
>gray plastic thing, barely large enough to store a battery in, let alone my
>Panasonic. I did get a battery with it, however. I took the plastic, tumor
>looking thing to my local store and whined that the case was supposed to
>worth about $60 since they originally said the value of the promotion was
>$100 ($39 for the battery which leaves a $60 case value). Fortunately, the
>manager of the store was customer-service-oriented and allowed me to pick
>any case I wanted. So I did and have an incredibly good case as a result.
>This is the kind of thing that leaves a bad taste with me regarding ordering
>on line. It really irritates me that CC will gladly take your money in an
>instant but can't get you your agreed item within a reasonable time frame.
>If I were you, I would begin applying the "squeaky-wheel" method of getting
>results. Go to your local store, if you have one, call customer service
>from your paper work and e-mail anyone you can and begin bitching up a storm
>until you get results. Good luck and hang in there.
>
>bob

>"Swingman" <sbt@silcom.com> wrote in message
>For awhile Panasonic was offering a free case and battery with the purchase
>of an FZ20 from Circuit City. I bought my FZ20 during that period and
>mailed in my rebate forms, but have not received anything yet (it's been
>about seven weeks). Did anyone here apply for the rebate and receive the
>stuff?

January 25, 2005 9:04:41 PM

> I ordered my Z20 through the same promotion. After about 8 weeks and having
> to keep my camera wrapped in a towel to protect it, they sent me this tiny,
> gray plastic thing, barely large enough to store a battery in, let alone my
> Panasonic. I did get a battery with it, however. I took the plastic, tumor
> looking thing to my local store and whined that the case was supposed to
> worth about $60 since they originally said the value of the promotion was
> $100 ($39 for the battery which leaves a $60 case value). Fortunately, the
> manager of the store was customer-service-oriented and allowed me to pick
> any case I wanted. So I did and have an incredibly good case as a result.
> This is the kind of thing that leaves a bad taste with me regarding ordering
> on line. It really irritates me that CC will gladly take your money in an
> instant but can't get you your agreed item within a reasonable time frame.
> If I were you, I would begin applying the "squeaky-wheel" method of getting
> results. Go to your local store, if you have one, call customer service
> from your paper work and e-mail anyone you can and begin bitching up a storm
> until you get results. Good luck and hang in there.

Thanks for the reply. Regarding a case I got a nice one soon after buying the camera as I knew it would take a long time for this "offer" to arrive. I'm really only interested in the battery at this point. My wheel will start gently squeaking soon <g>.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:25:25 PM

Robert <robertpq@comcast.net> wrote:

> I ordered my Z20 through the same promotion. After about 8 weeks and having
> to keep my camera wrapped in a towel to protect it, they sent me this tiny,
> gray plastic thing, barely large enough to store a battery in, let alone my
> Panasonic. I did get a battery with it, however. I took the plastic, tumor
> looking thing to my local store and whined that the case was supposed to
> worth about $60 since they originally said the value of the promotion was
> $100 ($39 for the battery which leaves a $60 case value). Fortunately, the
> manager of the store was customer-service-oriented and allowed me to pick
> any case I wanted. So I did and have an incredibly good case as a result.
> This is the kind of thing that leaves a bad taste with me regarding ordering
> on line.

Incidentally, I recommend a Tamrac 5683 for the FZ-10/15/20. Quite a
snug fit (if you keep the hood fitted which I do), but a nicely made case.
You can certainly get a spare battery, SD cards, and a lens-cloth in
there too.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Anonymous

Thought I'd post an update. It's been about 10 weeks now since I submitted my rebate forms for the case and battery - they have still not arrived. I called the panasonic customer service number on the rebate form and was told:

1. It can take up to fourteen weeks for the stuff to be sent.
2. There is no way to track the rebate or even confirm it's in the system.

Fortunately, this rebate was not an incentive for me to buy the camera, which I like very much. It was just an unexpected bonus. I hate rebates to begin with, and the fact that there is no way to confirm or track this one makes it worse then most.

I think I'll breakout my camera and take some pictures now <g>.

VS
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:15:55 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:15:54 GMT, "Swingman" <sbt@silcom.com> wrote:

>Thought I'd post an update. It's been about 10 weeks now since I submitted my rebate forms for the case and battery - they have still not arrived. I called the panasonic customer service number on the rebate form and was told:
>
>1. It can take up to fourteen weeks for the stuff to be sent.
>2. There is no way to track the rebate or even confirm it's in the system.

I think Panasonic would have contracted another company to fulfil the rebate
deal and unfortunately, many of these fulfillment companies are not much more
than scammers. In the end, Panasonic or whoever the original company is gets
screwed too, in terms of cost and customer satisfaction.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:40:23 PM

Bill Rude wrote:
[]
> I think Panasonic would have contracted another company to fulfil the
> rebate deal and unfortunately, many of these fulfillment companies
> are not much more than scammers. In the end, Panasonic or whoever the
> original company is gets screwed too, in terms of cost and customer
> satisfaction.

Rebates seem to be a rather American way of encouraging purchases, at
least that's the impression I get. In the UK many people buy mainly on
price or sometimes "free flight" etc. offers. It is something in the
American character which produces "rebate mentality" or did things just
develop that way?

With all the problems people report, I would have thought that a lower
price up front would have been better for both vendor and customer!

Cheers,
David
February 3, 2005 10:40:24 PM

In article <36fd18F506komU1@individual.net>, david-taylor@invalid.com says...
> Bill Rude wrote:
> []
> > I think Panasonic would have contracted another company to fulfil the
> > rebate deal and unfortunately, many of these fulfillment companies
> > are not much more than scammers. In the end, Panasonic or whoever the
> > original company is gets screwed too, in terms of cost and customer
> > satisfaction.
>
> Rebates seem to be a rather American way of encouraging purchases, at
> least that's the impression I get. In the UK many people buy mainly on
> price or sometimes "free flight" etc. offers. It is something in the
> American character which produces "rebate mentality" or did things just
> develop that way?
>
> With all the problems people report, I would have thought that a lower
> price up front would have been better for both vendor and customer!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Being an American (and a Yankee) I think I can put some spin on it for you.

Most of the older generation of Americans (50+) dont expect a "free ride"
EVER, but we have brought up a generation that expects "something for
nothing" on a regular basis.

Most rebates are probably given because the vendor expects (and rightly so)
that more than half the buyers will not pursue the rebate, another 20% will
not file it in time, and another 10% wont persue it if they dont get it even
if they did file on time.

I have never bought anything because it had a rebate, but I have always filed
them and persued them if they were offered.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Larry wrote:
[]
> Being an American (and a Yankee) I think I can put some spin on it
> for you.
>
> Most of the older generation of Americans (50+) dont expect a "free
> ride" EVER, but we have brought up a generation that expects
> "something for nothing" on a regular basis.
>
> Most rebates are probably given because the vendor expects (and
> rightly so) that more than half the buyers will not pursue the
> rebate, another 20% will not file it in time, and another 10% wont
> persue it if they dont get it even if they did file on time.
>
> I have never bought anything because it had a rebate, but I have
> always filed them and persued them if they were offered.

Oh, thanks for that perspective!

Can't people see that the "something for nothing" just raises the product
price somewhere? It would be less time and effort for them simply to get
a product where there was no rebate offered, providing it's good value for
money. Of course, that then raises the question of "how much is it
worth?", or from the vendors' viewpoint, "how much can I get for it?".

I felt that the Panasonic FZ20 was good value for money, but the Nikon
8800 not such good value (lens, mainly), and that's what helped make up my
mind. Not that anything with the life of a "digital" unit can ever be
good value for money (just wait six months and it's "half" the price...).

Cheers,
David
February 3, 2005 11:37:35 PM

In article <36fgceF4uvf4gU1@individual.net>, david-taylor@invalid.com says...
> Larry wrote:
> []
> > Being an American (and a Yankee) I think I can put some spin on it
> > for you.
> >
> > Most of the older generation of Americans (50+) dont expect a "free
> > ride" EVER, but we have brought up a generation that expects
> > "something for nothing" on a regular basis.
> >
> > Most rebates are probably given because the vendor expects (and
> > rightly so) that more than half the buyers will not pursue the
> > rebate, another 20% will not file it in time, and another 10% wont
> > persue it if they dont get it even if they did file on time.
> >
> > I have never bought anything because it had a rebate, but I have
> > always filed them and persued them if they were offered.
>
> Oh, thanks for that perspective!
>
> Can't people see that the "something for nothing" just raises the product
> price somewhere? It would be less time and effort for them simply to get
> a product where there was no rebate offered, providing it's good value for
> money. Of course, that then raises the question of "how much is it
> worth?", or from the vendors' viewpoint, "how much can I get for it?".
>
> I felt that the Panasonic FZ20 was good value for money, but the Nikon
> 8800 not such good value (lens, mainly), and that's what helped make up my
> mind. Not that anything with the life of a "digital" unit can ever be
> good value for money (just wait six months and it's "half" the price...).
>
> Cheers,
> David

I tend to see what I want and go buy it, not waiting for "discounts" or
"rebates".

When Sony came out with the F717, and I saw some sample shots from one (of
familiar subjects) I just went out and bought it ($999 US), same thing with
the F828 ($999 US).

So now I sit with 2 cameras that cost a thousand dollars apiece, and if I
were to sell them I probably couldn't get half my money back...Did I over
pay?? Only if I disregard the hundreds of pictures I have sold from those two
cameras. They have paid for themselves several times over.

I'll do the same when I go to a DSLR this spring. I'll just find the one I
want and BUY it. I dont mean I'll be stupid about it, I'll check to see if
someone has it "on sale" for less than recomended retail, but in the end I'll
buy it regardless, when I NEED it.

(Im leaning toward the Olympus DSLR because of the "self cleaning" feature,
and the fact that I dont have any Canon, Nikon, or Minolta lenses.)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Bill Rude wrote:
> []
>> I think Panasonic would have contracted another company
>> to fulfil the
>> rebate deal and unfortunately, many of these fulfillment
>> companies
>> are not much more than scammers. In the end, Panasonic or
>> whoever the
>> original company is gets screwed too, in terms of cost
>> and customer
>> satisfaction.
>
> Rebates seem to be a rather American way of encouraging
> purchases, at least that's the impression I get. In the
> UK many people buy mainly on price or sometimes "free
> flight" etc. offers. It is something in the American
> character which produces "rebate mentality" or did things
> just develop that way?
>
> With all the problems people report, I would have thought
> that a lower price up front would have been better for
> both vendor and customer!
>
> Cheers,
> David

It appears to me that the american retail market is
struggling, and always trying to find ways to drum up
business. The classic mechanism is the "sale" - the one
week sale, one day sale, six hour sale, etc. Rebates are
just another way to spin the "sale" concept that costs the
merchant less because of the percentage of people who don't
bother to redeem the rebates (it's amazing that it actually
costs less when you consider how much overhead the rebate
process must create). If I have a choice to buy a product
with or without a rebate I will go without the rebate
(within reason <g>). Often you can pay less up front for a
product without a rebate then you can for the same product
with a rebate. You may pay a little less in the long run
going with the rebate, but that assumes that your time
filling out forms, and waiting for your money to come back
is not worth anything <g>. In the case of the FZ20, at the
time Circuit City was the only retailer selling the camera.
Since I didn't want to mail-order it CC was the only choice.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:32:42 AM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:32:41 GMT, "Swingman" <sbt@silcom.com> wrote:

> Rebates are
>just another way to spin the "sale" concept that costs the
>merchant less

Usually rebates don't cost the merchant at all, usually the manufacturer
supplies the rebate, the merchant gets increased sales and the manufacturer
hopes that few will send in a properly filled out rebate form.
The manufacturer may work the deal on the rebate with a store but the store
doesn't pay off the rebate.
I hate rebates!
February 4, 2005 5:32:43 AM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:06:03 -0700, Bill Rude <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:32:41 GMT, "Swingman" <sbt@silcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Rebates are
>>just another way to spin the "sale" concept that costs the
>>merchant less
>
>Usually rebates don't cost the merchant at all, usually the manufacturer
>supplies the rebate, the merchant gets increased sales and the manufacturer
>hopes that few will send in a properly filled out rebate form.
>The manufacturer may work the deal on the rebate with a store but the store
>doesn't pay off the rebate.
>I hate rebates!

I hate manufacturer mail in rebates. In-store "instant" rebates I
don't have a problem with since it will be applied at the time of
purchase. Mail in rebates though feel too much like I'm loaning the
manufacturer money at zero percent interest and in exchange I might
get a check or merchandise later from the company as payoff on the
loan.

What's bad though is when a company on the verge of going out of
business offers attractive mail in rebates on their products to
unsuspecting consumers. Just google "Cendyne rebates" as an example.
Rebate checks that you thought were good can bounce at the bank, and
the stores that sold the products may not agree to cover the
manufacturers rebates and pay the buyers.
!