Sign in with
Your question

[New System] Building A windows Home server

February 11, 2013 6:23:38 PM

Hello, first of all I apologize if I have put this in the wrong section, However I am building a new server that will run WHS 2011, So I have Choose some hardware, and I was just hoping to get some feedback, thanks!

-----
AMD A10 5800K 3.8GHz APU
4GB 1600 Corsair Vengance DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 ATX Socket FM2 motherboard
Coolmax 700W 80+ Bronze power supply
NZXT Crafted series tempest 410 Mid-tower computer case
(3) WD Caviar Green 3TB HDDs (SATA 3GB/s) (3.5") [the data drives]
seagate moments 500GB HDD (Boot/ OS drive)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
Intel Gigabit PCIe X1 adapter
------

I want to add a raid card, however this is the max budget that I have, and the server needs to be finished in about a week and a half for work related reasons, so no time to save up more, is their anywhere that I can cur back so as I could afford a raid card?

(the budget is in fact $1000, and I am at about $920, so cut backs would still be greatly appreciated, especially if they could also add more storage?)

I am new to raid (for the last few years I have used a system with 5 drives, all different volumes, so a good raid card recombination would be greatly appreciated, I have looked around on the interwebs and found this one

HighPoint RocketRaid 2720SGL

However it is not available at my local computer parts store, and as mentioned previously I don't have time to wait for a shipment.

One final thing, I know a RAID card would be better but would the integrated RAID Controller work well enough that I could ditch the RAID card and use the reaming budget to add more storage

Thank You!
!