FarCry Installation Error 1628

I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems playing it. My
motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after only 60 days and I had to
install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are the same except the
motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error. 1628: Failed to
complete installation.

All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and
SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting MSCONFIG to diagnostic mode
but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp and Tmp in System
Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.

My System:

Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box, fully updated)
Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not overclocked)
Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA controllers
Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card
2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive (boot drive)
Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner

I have tried installing the game with some of these components removed with
no sucess.

Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.

FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able to play it. All my
other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of Honor War Chest, Age of
Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the only Ubisoft game I
own. I have tried everything and I am unable to resolve the problem. Any help
would be appreciated.
10 answers Last reply
More about farcry installation error 1628

    Hi Uggabugga,

    Have you tried applying all the solutions in this article as well?:
    http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108464

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF9E4677-F684-48B9-8ECF-09908E47DED3@microsoft.com...
    |I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems playing it. My
    | motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after only 60 days and I had to
    | install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are the same except the
    | motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error. 1628: Failed to
    | complete installation.
    |
    | All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and
    | SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting MSCONFIG to diagnostic mode
    | but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp and Tmp in System
    | Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and
    | %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.
    |
    | My System:
    |
    | Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box, fully updated)
    | Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not overclocked)
    | Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA controllers
    | Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card
    | 2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
    | 2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
    | Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive (boot drive)
    | Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
    | Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
    | Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner
    |
    | I have tried installing the game with some of these components removed with
    | no sucess.
    |
    | Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.
    |
    | FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able to play it. All my
    | other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of Honor War Chest, Age of
    | Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the only Ubisoft game I
    | own. I have tried everything and I am unable to resolve the problem. Any help
    | would be appreciated.

    Jimmy,

    I appreciate the response. Since I have the newest XP Pro version, I was
    unable to update Windows Installer and DirectX.

    I will try shutting off services although, Idriver is not in my Task list.
    msiexec.exe might be. I will try as soon as I get home and let you know.

    Thanks.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Uggabugga,
    >
    > Have you tried applying all the solutions in this article as well?:
    > http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108464
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF9E4677-F684-48B9-8ECF-09908E47DED3@microsoft.com...
    > |I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems playing it. My
    > | motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after only 60 days and I had to
    > | install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are the same except the
    > | motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error. 1628: Failed to
    > | complete installation.
    > |
    > | All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and
    > | SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting MSCONFIG to diagnostic mode
    > | but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp and Tmp in System
    > | Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and
    > | %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.
    > |
    > | My System:
    > |
    > | Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box, fully updated)
    > | Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not overclocked)
    > | Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA controllers
    > | Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card
    > | 2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
    > | 2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
    > | Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive (boot drive)
    > | Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
    > | Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
    > | Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner
    > |
    > | I have tried installing the game with some of these components removed with
    > | no sucess.
    > |
    > | Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.
    > |
    > | FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able to play it. All my
    > | other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of Honor War Chest, Age of
    > | Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the only Ubisoft game I
    > | own. I have tried everything and I am unable to resolve the problem. Any help
    > | would be appreciated.

    Jimmy,

    I appreciate the help but no dice. I turned off
    everything and still no luck. It's probably the
    motherboard. It has Sis based chips in it.I guess I'm
    just going to have buy an Intel MB or wait until I build
    a Pentium 5 machine.

    Thanks again.

    Shell / User
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >MS Assisted Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
    confer any rights.

    >"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:AF9E4677-F684-48B9-8ECF-
    09908E47DED3@microsoft.com...
    >|I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems
    playing it. My
    >| motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after
    only 60 days and I had to
    >| install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are
    the same except the
    >| motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error.
    1628: Failed to
    >| complete installation.
    >|
    >| All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware,
    Spybot and
    >| SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting
    MSCONFIG to diagnostic mode
    >| but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp
    and Tmp in System
    >| Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp,
    C:\Windows\Temp and
    >| %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.
    >|
    >| My System:
    >|
    >| Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box,
    fully updated)
    >| Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not
    overclocked)
    >| Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA
    controllers
    >| Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR
    Video Card
    >| 2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
    >| 2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
    >| Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150
    Hard Drive (boot drive)
    >| Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
    >| Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
    >| Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner
    >|
    >| I have tried installing the game with some of these
    components removed with
    >| no sucess.
    >|
    >| Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.
    >|
    >| FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able
    to play it. All my
    >| other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of
    Honor War Chest, Age of
    >| Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the
    only Ubisoft game I
    >| own. I have tried everything and I am unable to
    resolve the problem. Any help
    >| would be appreciated.
    >

    >.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Try creating another account with administrators
    privileges and install the game using it. This is
    possibly just an issue with your user profile.

    --

    "Uggabugga" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d8001c53a40$ca7e4d00$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Jimmy,
    >
    > I appreciate the help but no dice. I turned off
    > everything and still no luck. It's probably the
    > motherboard. It has Sis based chips in it.I guess I'm
    > just going to have buy an Intel MB or wait until I build
    > a Pentium 5 machine.
    >
    > Thanks again.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    When you changed the motherboard did you do a clean install of XP or a
    Repair Installation. Or by chance did you just fire up the existing XP after
    installing the new motherboard ?

    "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems playing it. My
    > motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after only 60 days and I had
    > install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are the same except the
    > motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error. 1628: Failed to
    > complete installation.
    >
    > All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and
    > SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting MSCONFIG to diagnostic
    > mode
    > but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp and Tmp in System
    > Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and
    > %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.
    >
    > My System:
    >
    > Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box, fully updated)
    > Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not overclocked)
    > Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA controllers
    > Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card
    > 2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
    > 2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
    > Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive (boot drive)
    > Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
    > Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
    > Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner
    >
    > I have tried installing the game with some of these components removed
    > with
    > no sucess.
    >
    > Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.
    >
    > FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able to play it. All my
    > other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of Honor War Chest, Age of
    > Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the only Ubisoft game I
    > own. I have tried everything and I am unable to resolve the problem. Any
    > help
    > would be appreciated.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Jimmy,

    That sounds like something to try. I will let you know.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Try creating another account with administrators
    > privileges and install the game using it. This is
    > possibly just an issue with your user profile.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Uggabugga" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d8001c53a40$ca7e4d00$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > > Jimmy,
    > >
    > > I appreciate the help but no dice. I turned off
    > > everything and still no luck. It's probably the
    > > motherboard. It has Sis based chips in it.I guess I'm
    > > just going to have buy an Intel MB or wait until I build
    > > a Pentium 5 machine.
    > >
    > > Thanks again.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Ronk,

    It is a clean install. It's very strange that it is only this one game. I
    installed a bunch of games last night and had no problems.

    "RonK" wrote:

    > When you changed the motherboard did you do a clean install of XP or a
    > Repair Installation. Or by chance did you just fire up the existing XP after
    > installing the new motherboard ?
    >

    > "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems playing it. My
    > > motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after only 60 days and I had
    > > install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are the same except the
    > > motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error. 1628: Failed to
    > > complete installation.
    > >
    > > All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and
    > > SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting MSCONFIG to diagnostic
    > > mode
    > > but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp and Tmp in System
    > > Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and
    > > %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.
    > >
    > > My System:
    > >
    > > Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box, fully updated)
    > > Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not overclocked)
    > > Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA controllers
    > > Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card
    > > 2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
    > > 2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
    > > Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive (boot drive)
    > > Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
    > > Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
    > > Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner
    > >
    > > I have tried installing the game with some of these components removed
    > > with
    > > no sucess.
    > >
    > > Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.
    > >
    > > FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able to play it. All my
    > > other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of Honor War Chest, Age of
    > > Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the only Ubisoft game I
    > > own. I have tried everything and I am unable to resolve the problem. Any
    > > help
    > > would be appreciated.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    RonK,

    I have already tried both suggestions. This is definitely puzzling. I may
    just have to give up on this motherboard and buy a genuine Intel MB. I think
    that is the best bet.

    "RonK" wrote:

    > When you changed the motherboard did you do a clean install of XP or a
    > Repair Installation. Or by chance did you just fire up the existing XP after
    > installing the new motherboard ?
    >

    > "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems playing it. My
    > > motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after only 60 days and I had
    > > install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are the same except the
    > > motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error. 1628: Failed to
    > > complete installation.
    > >
    > > All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and
    > > SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting MSCONFIG to diagnostic
    > > mode
    > > but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp and Tmp in System
    > > Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and
    > > %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.
    > >
    > > My System:
    > >
    > > Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box, fully updated)
    > > Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not overclocked)
    > > Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA controllers
    > > Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card
    > > 2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
    > > 2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
    > > Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive (boot drive)
    > > Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
    > > Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
    > > Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner
    > >
    > > I have tried installing the game with some of these components removed
    > > with
    > > no sucess.
    > >
    > > Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.
    > >
    > > FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able to play it. All my
    > > other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of Honor War Chest, Age of
    > > Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the only Ubisoft game I
    > > own. I have tried everything and I am unable to resolve the problem. Any
    > > help
    > > would be appreciated.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Empty your Temp Folder and try again.

    http://www.asksam.com/faq.asp?file=faqs.ask&b=How%20to%20clear%20your%20TEMP%20directory...

    > Ronk,
    >
    > It is a clean install. It's very strange that it is only this one game. I
    > installed a bunch of games last night and had no problems.
    >
    > "RonK" wrote:
    >
    >> When you changed the motherboard did you do a clean install of XP or a
    >> Repair Installation. Or by chance did you just fire up the existing XP
    >> after
    >> installing the new motherboard ?
    >>

    >> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I bought FarCry a few months ago and had no problems playing it. My
    >> > motherboard blew out (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G) after only 60 days and I
    >> > had
    >> > install a new one (Asus P4S800D-X). All components are the same except
    >> > the
    >> > motherboard. While installing FarCry, I get and error. 1628: Failed to
    >> > complete installation.
    >> >
    >> > All drivers are fully updated. McAfee, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and
    >> > SpywareBlaster are all disabled. I tried setting MSCONFIG to diagnostic
    >> > mode
    >> > but got a Windows Installer error. Tried setting Temp and Tmp in System
    >> > Properties > Environment Variables to C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and
    >> > %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.
    >> >
    >> > My System:
    >> >
    >> > Windows XP Professional OEM (with SP2 out of the box, fully updated)
    >> > Intel Pentium 4 Processor Prescott 3EGHz (not overclocked)
    >> > Asus P4S800D-X motherboard with onboard SATA controllers
    >> > Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card
    >> > 2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2 DDR400 dimm
    >> > 2 x 256MB PNY DDR400 dimm
    >> > Barracuda 7200.7 160GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive (boot
    >> > drive)
    >> > Maxtor 120GB, 7200RPM, Internal SATA/150 Hard Drive
    >> > Creative SoundBlaster SBLive! Gamer 5.1
    >> > Liteon 52x32x52 CD Burner
    >> >
    >> > I have tried installing the game with some of these components removed
    >> > with
    >> > no sucess.
    >> >
    >> > Ubisoft Tech Support is no help at all on this.
    >> >
    >> > FarCry is a great game and I would hate not being able to play it. All
    >> > my
    >> > other games work (Deus Ex- Invisible War, Medal of Honor War Chest, Age
    >> > of
    >> > Mythology, Delta Force series, etc.) but FarCry is the only Ubisoft
    >> > game I
    >> > own. I have tried everything and I am unable to resolve the problem.
    >> > Any
    >> > help
    >> > would be appreciated.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Here's something else to try :
    http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108393

Installation Error Windows XP