Solved

Bottle-necking a 660 III twin frozr

Will AMD Athlon x4 650 3.2 ghz non OC bottle-neck my gpu?

Computer Specs

8GB Ram

1TB Disk Space

MSI GTX 660 III Twin Frozr SuperClocked

AMD Athelon II X4 650 Processor 3.20 GHZ

1080P - 27 Inch Monitor
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bottle necking twin frozr
  1. even if it is OCed, it will still bottle-neck your powerfull 660
    because of lnot-so-good architecture of athlon

but still OC helps a lot increasing performance :)
  2. Yes, it will, it's weaker than a pentium g620 :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/188?vs=406

You can either upgrade the cpu or get the card and latter on when you have the money upgrade for an i5 intel cpu.
  3. How bottlenecked is the GPU at this point?
  4. To the point that either a lower card will have the same fps on your system or your current gpu will have about the same fps as the older one.
  5. Would you happen to know what card wont be bottlenecked on this cpu?
  6. You can buy a 7770 amd or a 650 ti, but you can also get the 660 gtx and change latter the cpu for a better one(i5+mobo,etc) and you'll have a better gpu.
  7. djangoringo said:
    You can buy a 7770 amd or a 650 ti, but you can also get the 660 gtx and change latter the cpu for a better one(i5+mobo,etc) and you'll have a better gpu.

Is it only my 660 card that being bottle-necked or will the 7770 or 650 be semi bottle-necked?
  8. Those cards are weaker, so the cpu will not restrain those, but you could get the 660 gtx and change the cpu latter, you'll have a better card by then.
  9. djangoringo said:
    Those cards are weaker, so the cpu will not restrain those, but you could get the 660 gtx and change the cpu latter, you'll have a better card by then.

What do you recommend? Should I buy the 660 GTX and upgrade CPU later in the year or vice versa?
  10. What's your current gpu ?
  11. djangoringo said:
    What's your current gpu ?

AMD Radeon 6750
  12. Best answer
    It's a weak card, get the 660 gtx and latter on upgrade the cpu as soon as possible for an i5 ivybridge.
  13. Best answer selected by ChrisPoteraske.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer AMD Graphics