Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Installation does not see my Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows 7
March 12, 2012 6:25:20 AM

I get to the part of the installation where you select a partition/drive, and there is nothing there. I have tried using different two different HDD both spin up but the installation doesn't see them. I have also switched out SATA Cables, used different power connectors, even tried loading drivers, and have reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS Battery. I am stumped on what the issue is, any suggestions? I have been working on it for the last 2-3 days but just cannot get anywhere, i'll take any advice i can get. Thanks!

Specs:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500 Processor
4x 1GB DDR3
Radeon 4870 Graphics Card
530 watt Power Supply
Seagate 320GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD ( tried to install first, no luck moved to the other HDD. Only one at a time connected. )
Maxtor 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD

No Disc Drive Atm Installing from Flash Drive
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 6:45:32 AM

First does the bios see the hard drive?
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 7:36:24 AM

Right there is nothing there because no partitions have been created yet. You need to select Advanced Options, and select Partition drive, and then format the partition before install can continue.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 9:18:48 AM

abekl said:
Right there is nothing there because no partitions have been created yet. You need to select Advanced Options, and select Partition drive, and then format the partition before install can continue.

Not true. You get a list of drives with partitions and free space. You will get only the free space listing where there are no partitions on a drive. But the point is, you will get a list of all availble drives. Also, you don't need to partition the hard drive, just select an existing partion OR free space and the Windows installer will sort out the rest (if you select a free space it will partition and format it before use). You only need to use the advanced options if you want to reformat, delete, resize or not use all the available space on the drive.

Anyway, as to why Windows cannot see your hard drive during installation. This could be a couple of things.
1). Connect your primary hard drive to SATA_1, try a couple of other SATA ports as well if it doesn't work. Sometimes when the bios is set incorrectly it disables a few SATA ports and cannot see drives connected to them.
2). BIOS - Check that your controller is set to AHCI or IDE, disable any raid options.
3). You might need to load 3rd party drivers, this can be done at the drive/partition selection window by hitting "Load Drivers". It's a manual trawl through your driver disk through. This should not be needed unless you opted to use a raid controller.
4). Duff motherboard. Send it back.
March 12, 2012 9:34:19 AM

Go into the bios and see if it detects your hard disks with correct capacities..
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 10:11:48 AM

Thanks fpr correcting me. Appreciated.
March 12, 2012 1:23:41 PM

still no luck, i have tried to install on two different motherboards which is why it is confusing me so much, i am positive that the drive works tho. I used it on another PC to check. Yes it shows up in the BIOS. Niether HDD is new, both have been previously used. I have tried to use other SATA ports, with no luck.
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 5:26:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!