Sign in with
Your question

Need a PSU and a once over before final purchase

Last response: in Systems
February 11, 2013 7:59:04 PM

i think i have the build i wish to buy, but the PSU i picked aparently has short cables, and im not sure if i want it anymore. so i need a PSU recommendation, and it needs to be $50 or under to stay in budget, as iv already gone a few bucks over ($800) i also want a second pair of eyes on it to give some opinions before i fully commit to this build. thanks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AILv

More about : psu final purchase

February 11, 2013 8:25:53 PM

there are a few psu's out there that offer really great amperage on the 12v rail.

The one however, tencaiousk refereed to really is a nice psu for the price, if you are into mail in rebate cards.
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2013 8:51:20 PM

>50$
Hmmmm...how about this one? It's a very decent PSU for such money. It's actually very hard to find something truly good for just that amount (I wouldn't recommend Corsair's "CX"es, they are ones of the worst, in my opinion (which is always based on the personal experience of dealing with the product)), but at least the one I picked for you will work fine for several years without any major problems, and the cables are good too.
Also, even though HD 7770 consumes very little power by default, I still recommend getting HIS' HD 7770 instead of XFX's, because it consumes less power out of all other HD 7770s while performing same.
m
l
February 12, 2013 12:36:50 AM

master_chen said:
>50$
Hmmmm...how about this one? It's a very decent PSU for such money. It's actually very hard to find something truly good for just that amount (I wouldn't recommend Corsair's "CX"es, they are ones of the worst, in my opinion (which is always based on the personal experience of dealing with the product)), but at least the one I picked for you will work fine for several years without any major problems, and the cables are good too.
Also, even though HD 7770 consumes very little power by default, I still recommend getting HIS' HD 7770 instead of XFX's, because it consumes less power out of all other HD 7770s while performing same.

i have to be able to get it from newegg, so i cant get your PSU, and the other guy recommended one that looks good, why do you say that his is one of the worst?
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:19:10 AM

gommer556 said:
I have to be able to get it from newegg, so I cant get that PSU

Then I would definitely recommend getting this one, but, of course, if you're fine with the presented wattage (since you'll be using one 6-pin HD 7770, I think that this wattage would be just enough for your needs) and the fact that power cord isn't included by default (you can use a power cord from your previous PSU, if you have any, or easily buy it in any local PC shack/store).
gommer556 said:
why do you say that his is one of the worst?

"CX" line is one the worst lines of PSUs that Corsair "makes". CXes tend to be highly unreliable and having a very big percent of DOA units (if compared to others "DOA-to-Perfectly Working Units" percentage), also not meeting the advertised performance specs and having low life span (2 years usually...4 at best), all this due to the fact that most cheapest components are used in the assemble of this particular line.
TXes, HXes, AXes - all of these are quality Corsair PSUs and can be bought without hesitation, but CXes are really nothing more than just cheap, unreliable, "below-the-floor"-level crap.
m
l
!