construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I m building new compter a am starting t pick my parts.
I ould like to have 2 SSDs in the build one as a boot drive the other as an export drive. An Suggestions?
Thanks
(Im edging toward the intel 520 series ssds.)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Intel's 510s are the best, but they are very hard to find these days.
Intel's 520s are nice, but definitely worse than GODLIKE 510s, IMHO (I always base my opinion on the personal experience of dealing with things).
Samsung's 830s are quite good.
Crucial M4s are quite decent, but not perfect.
Kingston's "SSDNow"s are decent, nothing less or more than just that.
OCZ's "Vertex"es and Corsair's "Force"s are absolute trash, stay away from them no matter what!

Personally, I would recommend only Intel 510/Samsung 830 if you're an SSD beginner and want maximum life span and reliability out of the SSD, but you can get Crucial M4 just as fine.

Praxeology

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

The best SSD on the market right now goes in this order,

OCZ Vector, Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vertex 4, Plextor M5P, Corsair GTX Neutron

From what I know, that's pretty accurate as far as performance goes. For reliability, lol OCZ. I would only buy 840Pro, M5P, or the GTX Neutron,

-Prax :sol:

Praxeology

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

:non: Just no...

LMAO

But...?

Boy Corsair Sucks...on a 86% 5 star rating

The facts don't lie.

... Just... No... :non: :lol:

construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
CPU = Intel i7 3770K
CPU Cooler = Corsair H100i
MoBo = GA-Z77X-UD5H
Graphics Card = GTX 670 (I already have this in my current computer but I'm going to take it out)
RAM = 32GB Corsair Vengeace 2133MHz
SSDs = Intel 520 Series 240GB (BOOTDRIVE) and Inte 520 Series 120GB (Export Drive and commonly used files etc)
HDDs = WD Black 1TB x4 (configured in RAID 5)
PSU = Haven't picked one
Case = Bit Fenix Ghost
OS = Win 8
Heres the build so far :)
If they are not the best performance wise why are the intel ssds the most expensive?

Thanks all for Help

Praxeology

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Same reason why Apple sells the most expensive pcs... Idiots! There is good money to be made on stupidity. Enjoy the new build, it looks better than mine :cry:

I would make some changes though if you'd care to read on;

32GB of ram is useless, 16 is max unless you're hosting a wow server lol(1600mhz is best, anything higher just sets fire to your money for 0, and I mean 0, fps increase on any benchmark comparison you look up); The SSD of course, get a Samsung 840 Pro, it's more reliable and way faster; You would be much better off with an SLI 660 setup. I seem to argue this on every thread and I am right on every thread. Here are some graphs for you.

21209_660SLI-1.jpg
Source
21209_660SLI-2.jpg
Source
21209_660SLI-3.jpg
Source

Despite the naysayers, who quite likely have never had an SLI system, micro-stuttering is a minor issue that crossfire/2-way SLI PC gamers aren't shedding any tears over. Their beastly 7970/680s in crossfire/sli are doing just fine, and the youtube videos on the latest and greatest most demanding game's max graphical settings are usually running on a 2+ video card setup xD(And those videos make the viewers wish for the uploader's computer). The difference between a 660 setup and a 680 one is an extra 400-600$ for 20-40 fps over the 660/660Ti;7850/7870 cf/sli setups. The choice is up to you :sol: I would recommend getting a Corsair Gold 850 psu if you do feel like this is for you.

-Prax

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Because they are the most reliable and have the longest life span. For SSDs it's a crucial thing, much more important than speed or looks.
That's why OCZ's Vertex-trash is so cheap, because they're fast, but they have the worst controllers and die VERY easily and their life span is just laughable.
Any SSD will be faster than standard non-"VeloCiraptor in RAID 0" HDD and will consume much less energy, so it really all boils down to reliability and life span, not to speed/performance.
It doesn't matter if SSD performs ultra-fast, if it can easily die one week (and for some people even one day!) after the purchase - such SSD would be ***, no matter how much it's advertised, how fast it performs and how little it costs.
Only those SSDs are good, that are reliable enough to last more than 3 years, and at that parameter no one can surpass Intel right now.

construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
32GB of ram is useless, 16 is max unless you're hosting a wow server lol(1600mhz is best, anything higher just sets fire to your money for 0, and I mean 0, fps increase on any benchmark comparison you look up)

I'm using this computer just for video editing and I was told the faster and more ram you install the better :)
Does that alter your opinion kowing that i won't use it to game.

get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D1DS

psu
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&promoid=1257

hard drives. raid 5 is simply unnecessary if you are not doing server work. i personally think raid is completely useless for 95% of home systems
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74462&promoid=1312