Age of Conquerors Internet TCP/IP Connection for Direct Play

Hi, guys!

I've purchased several copies of Age of Conquerors for friends. One of them
is now in Edinburgh. I'm in Alexandria and we would like to play a game
across the Internet.

When either of us clicks "Show Games" and types in the IP address of the
other machine, no games appear. This is true in both directions. Here are
some system descriptions and a few troubleshooting steps we've already taken:

1. We've used the "Networking" tab in dxdiag to successfully establish a
DirectX chat.

2. Both machines are Windows XP SP2.

3. The problem exists even if the Windows Firewall is completely disabled.

4. Neither machine is running secondary personal firewall software.

5. Both machines have direct connections to the Internet and public, static
IP addresses.

6. Both machines have dedicated, unshared bandwidth of T1 or better speed.

7. We've run Ethereal to capture the packets. The result is the same on both
machines:

Client Highport -> Server 47624 SYN
Server 47624 -> Client Highport SYN, ACK
Client Highport -> Server 47624 ACK (CHECKSUM INCORRECT)
Client Highport -> Server 47624 PSH, ACK (CHECKSUM INCORRECT)
Client Highport -> Server 47624 FIN, ACK (CHECKSUM INCORRECT)
Server 47624 -> Client Highport ACK
Server 47624 -> Client Highport RST, ACK

Packet 6 is acking packet 5. Packet 4 is the request to see if there are
games available; "play ??" appears in hex in the data portion of the packet.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a complete loss.

Hi Nathan,

Are either of you using ISP's which use NAT modems?
Try Tim William's "Nat or Not" test to be certain:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms