Sign in with
Your question

1 HTPC for 2 TVs

February 11, 2013 8:42:39 PM

Hello,

I am considering converting an "old" PC into an HTPC. I have been reading a lot of forums and guides the last few days, but since I haven't ever messed with this type of build I would like to get some feedback or advice.

I would like to have the following features available for 2 tvs:

* Store and view DVD and Blu-Ray movies

* Record and view Live TV from my basic cable connection simultaneously

*Stream Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant

*Use as secondary general PC for Internet browsing or torrent downloads

I have come to rely on a DVR for the 2-3 shows my wife watches and the endless list of kids shoes for my kids ages 2 & 7.

What I am unsure of is what I need to add to my setup to be able to access these features from two different TVs. I want each TV to be able to watch whatever it wants similar to what a typical PVR setup allows from the cable companies.

I live in an apartment, so there is no option to drill holes and run wires. One TV is on the first floor and the other is on the 2nd floor.

What I would like to know is what I need to add to the system specs below to create a workable HTPC setup on a reasonable budget (under $400).

PC specs I would like to use:

CPU: Core2Duo E6750 2.66GHz

RAM: 4GB PC8500

GPU: ATI HD6570 1GB

MOBO: Gigabyte 935p-DS3

HDD: WD 250GB Black (Likely add add'l storage)

That is the older PC I would like to use in the build. I don't run a network. I simply use a wireless router for Internet access on my different devices. I understand wired connections are preferred, but I don't really have that option as far as I know. I know many have had success using a Powerline in wireless situations.

Anyway, can some of you gurus give some suggestions on a configuration that would allow me to have a setup that I described?

I am not biased toward/against anything other than using the existing hardware in the build. I am not rich but I can spend a few hundred to make this bird fly.

More about : htpc tvs

!