Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Custom build computer verification

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
February 11, 2013 9:58:40 PM

in advanced, i'm sorry if this isn't the exact area i'm suppossed to post this in, but, just made an account for this post.
well, i need help with a new system that i'm trying to build, here's what i have so far.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

More about : custom build computer verification

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2013 10:11:06 PM

You'd need to drop some serious bones to use a LGA 2011 processor. Here is the cheapest I could make; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CVuL
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 10:16:05 PM

that's actually a significantly lower price than i was intending to pay, my current estimated price is around $1400.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 11, 2013 10:20:30 PM

TheN00bBuilder said:
You'd need to drop some serious bones to use a LGA 2011 processor. Here is the cheapest I could make; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CVuL

Honestly though, for that price, isn't he better off just selling the X79 board and going with an LGA1155 package. I mean, for a potentially strong configuration, he is sacrificing that because of a more premium package, that could be outperformed by a stronger GPU (Radeon HD 7970 or GTX 670/680 and an Intel Core i5 3570K?
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 10:35:58 PM

well, i don't know if it's just me but it looks like more than half of my post was cut off so :


well, i need help with a new system that i'm trying to build, here's what i have so far.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73820
GRAPHICS: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003
OPITCAL DRIVE: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black
WIFI CARD: ASUS(PCE-N15) maximum performance Wireless-N Network Adapter ( 300Mbps Transmit / 300Mbps Receive) with PCI-E interface, Include Full . Height and Low Profile bracket, WPS button Support
COOLING: Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH80)
CASE: Nzxt Technologies Phantom with Green Trim (Green LED) Enthusiast Full Tower Case - Phan-002Gr (Black)
POWER SUPPLY: ??????

so, onto the questions:

-would the motherboard and graphics card be compatible, I've googled the subject for a little while ad haven't been able to find much.
-should i get a sound card? or better yet, do i even need one?
-what is a power supply i should get, i know for the graphics card EVGA recommends at least 450 watts of powers, so what ever unit i need is fine.
- and lastly, is everything compatible?


I've been doing my research and things seem to be able to fit well together ( with the exception of not knowing about the graphics card and motherboard ) but i just want someone to double check it, if it's possible. as you may tell, this is my first time building a computer, and hardware specs are rather alien to me. And before someone asks, i'm looking for a gaming computer, not top of the line, but something that won't have too trouble running games such as skyrim, battlefield 3, and fallout 3. and i'm also not looking to run the games on the highest graphics setting, but i will if i can.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 11, 2013 10:51:58 PM

seanyd said:
well, i don't know if it's just me but it looks like more than half of my post was cut off so :


well, i need help with a new system that i'm trying to build, here's what i have so far.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73820
GRAPHICS: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003
OPITCAL DRIVE: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black
WIFI CARD: ASUS(PCE-N15) maximum performance Wireless-N Network Adapter ( 300Mbps Transmit / 300Mbps Receive) with PCI-E interface, Include Full . Height and Low Profile bracket, WPS button Support
COOLING: Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH80)
CASE: Nzxt Technologies Phantom with Green Trim (Green LED) Enthusiast Full Tower Case - Phan-002Gr (Black)
POWER SUPPLY: ??????

so, onto the questions:

-would the motherboard and graphics card be compatible, I've googled the subject for a little while ad haven't been able to find much.
-should i get a sound card? or better yet, do i even need one?
-what is a power supply i should get, i know for the graphics card EVGA recommends at least 450 watts of powers, so what ever unit i need is fine.
- and lastly, is everything compatible?


I've been doing my research and things seem to be able to fit well together ( with the exception of not knowing about the graphics card and motherboard ) but i just want someone to double check it, if it's possible. as you may tell, this is my first time building a computer, and hardware specs are rather alien to me. And before someone asks, i'm looking for a gaming computer, not top of the line, but something that won't have too trouble running games such as skyrim, battlefield 3, and fallout 3. and i'm also not looking to run the games on the highest graphics setting, but i will if i can.

Oh, this helps a lot! And when you say "here's what i have so far," do you mean you own it, or are you considering it? Because Ivy Bridge i5 3570K will better suit you for gaming, rather than the i7 3820.

1. Any PCIe 16x graphics card is compatible with any PCIe 16x bus. So you don't have to worry about compatibility there. So any graphics card will be fine.
2. A sound card is not essential, but it's good to have, and from what I hear, and personal experience, a good sound card improves the audio from any speaker system (headphones, 2.1 speakers, etc.). So if you have extra money in your budget, then a sound card is a good idea, but leave that last, and use the money for a solid GPU, CPU and PSU.
3. Seasonic, XFX, and Corsair have some of the best rated PSUs out there. Just look for a PSU from one of these vendors around 600W (to give overclocking and upgrading room), and make sure it is 80+ efficeint, preferably 80+ Silver or higher. For more about PSU efficiency, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Honestly, ditch LGA2011, and save money to buy yourself a better GPU, like a GTX 670 or Radeon HD 7970, so you will be able to play the games you listed on the maximum game settings, something the GTX 660 might not be able to do. Read this and compare some GPUs: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372
Share
February 11, 2013 10:58:12 PM

defiantly haven't bought anything yet and thank you very much!
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 10:58:22 PM

Best answer selected by seanyd.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 11:07:05 PM

seanyd said:
defiantly haven't bought anything yet and thank you very much!

Is that all you need, because if you have anymore questions, I'll be happy to help you out.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 11:17:46 PM

sure, one more won't hurt. following your advice, i'm going to switch out the cpu and mother board for a better gpu, but what exactly should i switch them with? drop from an intel i7 to an i5?
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 11:39:34 PM

seanyd said:
sure, one more won't hurt. following your advice, i'm going to switch out the cpu and mother board for a better gpu, but what exactly should i switch them with? drop from an intel i7 to an i5?

See the main difference between the desktop Intel Core i5s and i7s, is that the i7 includes a technology called Hyper-Threading, which adds another thread to each core. Think of it as 2 processes per core, so a quad-core with HT will have 8 processing threads available, over something like an i5 with only 4 processing threads available. Keep in mind, this only affects threaded applications such as video rendering, but for gaming, hardly any games even use up 3 threads making the i5 a perfect choice for a gaming processor.

Now as for a specific choice:
i5 3450 / 3470 / 3570 (if you don't plan to overclock)
i5 3570k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (if you plan to overclock) $229.99 USD or if you want to go AMD, AMD FX 8350 (on par with the i5 3570k for gaming)

As for a motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $134.99 USD It's a great motherboard with loads of features, and you will save around $200.00 USD. This money I would put toward buying a GTX 670, or a GTX 680/Radeon HD 7970GHz Edition, which will really provide the performance you are looking for, for the games you listed. They will run @max settings, most of them at 75FPS+

*EDIT: Take a look at this video, it looks over how many CPU cores are needed for gaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 11:59:45 PM

Thank you for all of your help, i will post my final results of what i may end up purchasing later.
m
0
l
!