Good PC? Also need some Networking advice!

infinity117

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
So have 2 questions.
First, what do you guys think about this Build? Would i be able to run BF3 Ultra 1080p with 60 FPS?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($157.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone ($70.00)
Other: Steelseries Mousepad ($15.00)
Other: AVerMedia C985 Live Gamer HD 1080p ($180.00)
Other: steelseries Siberia V2 ($95.00)

Total: $1707.84(With Win 7)

Second, currently i have a cheap USB wireless adapter, capable of my Internet speed.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2502599146.png (this what i get on my laptop right know)
Funny thing is, i pay for 35down and 25 up with 15 ping and get actually 45down 35up 13ping (when using cable, not wireless)

So my question is, should I take my time drilling holes in walls and moving ethernet through the living room and my room?
Or buy a better wireless adapter? if so what kind (USB or PCI etc.)

Solution
Your build should run Ultra settings as long as you don't use the AA Deferred and just stick with AA Post.

As far as networking, a game doesn't use a lot of internet bandwidth. I was using the Comcast "economy" speed at 1.5Mbps down and 768Kbps up and never had a single issue with BF3 or any other game. Lag is your biggest enemy. (aka, response time or ping) When you use wireless the Ethernet data packets are encapsulated into a wireless packets with the addition of whatever wireless encryption you are using. All this takes time and makes the packets larger with non-data data (if that makes sense to you) so it slows down your speed a little bit and adds latency. That is why your speeds are typically slower with wireless. The...

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Yes, drilling holes and pulling Cat 5 is worth it. Especially if you have a gigabit router. I used a wireless N USB for a while and it was fine, but Cat 5 is double the speed.

I can't find anything wong with your build. Game on.

Your build should run Ultra settings as long as you don't use the AA Deferred and just stick with AA Post.

As far as networking, a game doesn't use a lot of internet bandwidth. I was using the Comcast "economy" speed at 1.5Mbps down and 768Kbps up and never had a single issue with BF3 or any other game. Lag is your biggest enemy. (aka, response time or ping) When you use wireless the Ethernet data packets are encapsulated into a wireless packets with the addition of whatever wireless encryption you are using. All this takes time and makes the packets larger with non-data data (if that makes sense to you) so it slows down your speed a little bit and adds latency. That is why your speeds are typically slower with wireless. The better your wireless equipment is, the better it is at doing this. In reality, as long as you have a strong wireless signal the added latency isn't going to add much, especially when you are connecting to servers hundreds or thousands of miles away that you are passing through countless routers to get to.

I typically try and connect wired whenever possible, but if you have to go wireless your biggest concern is get the strongest signal possible.

Solution