Sign in with
Your question

Review my pc

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2013 2:13:33 AM

Hello everyone,

Im trying to build a nice pc for 3D rendering/modeling (70%) and gaming (30%). I've been searching for a couple of weeks and that's what i gather for this kind of pc:

- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor;

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 (good for expansion up to 3 GPU's, nice sound onboard and it's cheaper than P8Z77-V Deluxe);

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866;

- HDD: WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10k RPM
2 WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM on RAID 1

- SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5";

- Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (planning to add another later);

- PSU: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V (like it because of 80 + platinum);

- Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case:

- CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

The other stuff (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc) i think im good. The price for this build is relatively good ($1800 to $2000) as i've been searching.

What you guys think about it? please, votes, opinions, etc.

Thanks for your time and attention.

More about : review

February 12, 2013 2:21:38 AM

Well, so far I think the parts are good, but not the most you can get out of your money. But if you're dead set, I guess it's ok.

Coolers you can take a look at are the Thermaltake Frio, Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14 PE.
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:35:26 AM

Rutramax said:
Hello everyone,

Im trying to build a nice pc for 3D rendering/modeling (70%) and gaming (30%). I've been searching for a couple of weeks and that's what i gather for this kind of pc:

- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor;

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 (good for expansion up to 3 GPU's, nice sound onboard and it's cheaper than P8Z77-V Deluxe);

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866;

- HDD: WD VelociRaptor 1TB 3.5" 10000RPM;

- SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5";

- Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (planning to add another later);

- PSU: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V (like it because of 80 + platinum);

- CPU Cooler: What do you guys think... (its a 'must have'? im doing little OCing)

The other stuff (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc) i think im good. The price for this build is relatively good ($1800 to $2000) as i've been searching.

What you guys think about it? please, votes, opinions, etc.

Thanks for your time and attention.

I wouldn't recommend an i7 build unless you use this computer to make money and can REALLY benefit from hyper-threading. Besides that, the motherboard is overpriced and unnecessary. The HDD is overpriced, and unnecessary, especially with an SSD. The 4GB GPU is overpriced and, you guessed it, unnecessary! Here are 2 graphs(And there respective sources Him and Her) to show you why 4GB GPU does nothing for you except burn 100$

Crazy resolution benchmark 1

Crazy resolution benchmark 2

And this is your best case scenario, one in which you see a difference; Unfortunately in these rare cases, you're running 16 fps with the 4GB model, and 4 with the 2GB model. Ultimately you are probably not running these resolutions and if you were you would find out that they are unplayable.

You should replace the processor with an i5-3570k unless you are deadset on the hyper-threading; The HDD with a Seagate/Wester Digital 7200RPM/64MB Cache; The motherboard with an MSI G45/ASRock Extreme 4; The GPU with SLI 660/660Ti(This would be optimal) or 670/680(2GB Versions) though it this has less performance; And maybe a Hyper 212+/Evo/Corsair H60. And if you want a platinum PSU I would bump up to an 850 Corsair Platinum just so you have wiggle room, especially when you calculate psu age degration, for the potential future upgrades that have SLI with bigger cards.

-Prax
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2013 2:50:21 AM

Without knowing exactly what kind of 3D rendering/modeling you are doing, I am not sure that you actually need to buy an i7, as for the HDD, I feel that it might be too small for your needs, and again I dont know if you might need a 10000RPM HDD.

Here is a list of parts that I would recommand instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CZd1

I feel an i5 would better suit your needs, price to performance.
While a larger HDD will see that you have enough space for your renderings.
Now for the graphics card, as Praxeology stated, the 4GB card seems rather lackluster for the hefty price you will have to pay, and I feel that the GTX 660 TI would suit your needs better, price to performance. You can also buy another 660 TI at a later point and SLI.

Here is a pretty Graph :
Source 1
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:57:58 AM

Nympha said:
Without knowing exactly what kind of 3D rendering/modeling you are doing, I am not sure that you actually need to buy an i7, as for the HDD, I feel that it might be too small for your needs, and again I dont know if you might need a 10000RPM HDD.

Here is a list of parts that I would recommand instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CZd1

I feel an i5 would better suit your needs, price to performance.
While a larger HDD will see that you have enough space for your renderings.
Now for the graphics card, as Praxeology stated, the 4GB card seems rather lackluster for the hefty price you will have to pay, and I feel that the GTX 660 TI would suit your needs better, price to performance. You can also buy another 660 TI at a later point and SLI.

Here is some pretty Graphs : http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/graphics/geforce-gtx-660-ti-sli/13_bf3.png
With some source : Source 1

+1 to this build, but I say add a second 660Ti (Still within budget with a 2nd) or downsize the psu but again its all in budget so w/e.
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:36:32 AM

- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor for sure !!!

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 or any that have necessary I/O ports for you and cheaper as Maximus isn't a cheap board and you could save 100-150$ right here....

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 (faster will help rendering but not in gaming performance)

- HDD: 2 WD caviar Black in Raid 1 (ensure data protection, cheaper and faster than a single Velociraptor 1TB and at 300$ you can surely have a 512gb SSD that will be even faster)

- SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5"

- Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card or a 670 (in gaming, almost the same but in rendering they're slower than the 5xx version if you use CUDA)
***Any 7970 will be the same performance in games but faster in rendering and high Resolution/multiple screens (if you have more than 1 1080p monitor)

- PSU: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified

- CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212, cheap and do the job for 20$
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:12:57 AM

Thanks spawnkiller,

i agree with you on the HDD change and the cpu cooler.

m
l
February 12, 2013 7:47:40 PM

Any more opinions?
m
l
!