I'm currently "attempting" to build my First PC, but issues are inbound

INLIFER-12

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hi, I am currently trying to build a new gaming PC. I am a "newbie", having never done this before. My friend has assisted me and told me to get something cheap, but easy to upgrade. The problem is that my mother (I am in my teens) prefers the comfort of a package. My father disagrees with the road I desire and supports buying a laptop, as he sees it as the future. I am personally using the computer to develop small scale video games using Cryengine 3 sdk or UDK, and just play games. I have a very old, but good and working Dell monitor. However, I am short on the software part of the plan. Here is my build, I consider it my best and ultimate.

Build_Destiny:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CW2b
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CW2b/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CW2b/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6200 3.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($45.97 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $642.49-Rebates included/ $678-700 Base Price (All From Newegg)
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-11 19:54 EST-0500)

The prices might be a bit off, but it is the best and cheapest build I have been able to come up with; keeping the components that are my preference. I am risking a lot by deciding to build my own computer. If anything goes wrong, and it will most likely will, my parents would not be happy campers. This has applied to all of my purchases in the past. My mother has a close friend who she consults about electronic purchases. I can easily tell that he is one for the packaged road rather than the build your own. The friend that will assist me states that he can get me a copy of windows 7, but not by purchase. He will help me build my computer if I get the components, and give an optical drive.

Anyway, should I buy a packaged one or build my own? Is it better to just quit this whole endeavor.

Any help and knowledge given on this situation is greatly appreciated. If you have already read this far, I thank you very much.

fkr

Splendid
if you love tech and you're going into the tech field then build your own. Buy a 3 dollar anti-static wristband and you can really do no harm. just be careful and do not bend any pins. Really as long as you have a good work area that you can focus I think you would be fine, putting together PC's is allot easier than it used to be. measure twice cut once is the old saying and it applies for this also. also you can usually find places to put a pc together for 40 bucks(at least in my area). and come back to the forums before you start for a few pointers from experts(make sure they are experts)