Nokia 6230i - unable to setup email and receive settings

Hola,

So - got my 6230i this week. I have these problems:

1. When I try to access message settings for email (menu 1 - 12 - 3) I get
an error saying "No settings found, contact your service provider", and it
bounces back to the previous menu item. Anybody else seen this problem? Any
solutions?

2. I've tried to contact various Norwegian and official Nokia-sites for
getting MMS/WAP/GPRS settings sent through the grid, but none of the
messages reach my phone. I'm settings things up manually, but does anybody
know why this isn't working?

3. Hard-reset. I'm pretty interested in hard-resetting the whole phone, and
see if it works. The "Reset factory settings" item works, but the phone
isn't completely resat. Is there a method in which this is accomplished?

Cheers,
Knut
3 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6230i unable setup email receive settings

    "Knut Torbjørn Moe" <superknut@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hola,
    >
    > So - got my 6230i this week. I have these problems:
    >
    > 1. When I try to access message settings for email (menu 1 - 12 - 3) I get
    > an error saying "No settings found, contact your service provider", and it
    > bounces back to the previous menu item. Anybody else seen this problem?
    > Any solutions?

    I use a UK service provider and their e-mail support requires sending
    messages (with a "to" header as part of the message) to a dedicated number
    which acts as a server.

    "contact your service provider" sounds like good advice.

    --
    Brian
    "Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

    Ok,

    Regarding bullet 2: Receiving various settings from the grid:

    Fixed by acquiring a fresh set of SIM-cards from my provider. Old SIMs may
    have some problems receiving these settings.

    -knut

    "Knut Torbjørn Moe" <superknut@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hola,
    >
    > So - got my 6230i this week. I have these problems:
    >
    > 1. When I try to access message settings for email (menu 1 - 12 - 3) I get
    > an error saying "No settings found, contact your service provider", and it
    > bounces back to the previous menu item. Anybody else seen this problem?
    > Any solutions?
    >
    > 2. I've tried to contact various Norwegian and official Nokia-sites for
    > getting MMS/WAP/GPRS settings sent through the grid, but none of the
    > messages reach my phone. I'm settings things up manually, but does anybody
    > know why this isn't working?
    >
    > 3. Hard-reset. I'm pretty interested in hard-resetting the whole phone,
    > and see if it works. The "Reset factory settings" item works, but the
    > phone isn't completely resat. Is there a method in which this is
    > accomplished?
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Knut

    Knut Torbjørn Moe <superknut@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > So - got my 6230i this week. I have these problems:
    >
    > 1. When I try to access message settings for email (menu 1 - 12 - 3) I get
    > an error saying "No settings found, contact your service provider", and it
    > bounces back to the previous menu item. Anybody else seen this problem? Any
    > solutions?

    That's because the email settings are actually hidden in 2-11-4. Go to
    Personal Configuration Settings and choose "Add new" from options. Then you
    can put in your POP/IMAP and SMTP server details. That threw me for a while
    too.

    > 2. I've tried to contact various Norwegian and official Nokia-sites for
    > getting MMS/WAP/GPRS settings sent through the grid, but none of the
    > messages reach my phone. I'm settings things up manually, but does anybody
    > know why this isn't working?

    I just spent a couple hours trying to get this working on my new 6230i (via
    Digi in Malaysia). The Digi people were absolutely no help, a bunch of
    glue-sniffing chuckleheads who couldn't come up with anything better than
    "it isn't possible to read email on that; you need to buy a smartphone".

    But finally I found this page that had a very comprehensive list of GPRS
    settings info for various telcos:

    http://www.access-sys-eu.com/gprs.html

    It still took some puttering around as I have no experience with mobile
    phones but I'm happy to announce that it eventually connected.

    The problem that remains is that the Nokia garbles the messages; instead of
    the message body, I see bits and pieces of the IMAP session. Perhaps you
    will have better luck?

    miguel

Nokia Phones Email