Choppy graphics

Hi,
The graphics on my Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz 512mb 80gb) have
become really choppy on games including CoD and Unreal2004. I have a ATI
Radeon 9600 Mobility have but I never managed to successfully get new drivers
installed for this over the past year. I've done all the usual other
things...defragging, disk clean up, reducing background tasks, etc - but none
of this makes much difference. Previously these games were really smooth but
now they are unplayable. . .Any ideas anyone, I'd really appreciate some help.

Have you tried installing the new drivers while in Safe Mode? Boot using F8
to get the the menu, then select Safe Mode. This will prevent the present
drivers from loading, using only generic ones, and should free up being able
to safely install the new drivers because no programs will be running in the
background (like your anti-virus).
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> The graphics on my Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz 512mb 80gb) have
> become really choppy on games including CoD and Unreal2004. I have a ATI
> Radeon 9600 Mobility have but I never managed to successfully get new
> drivers
> installed for this over the past year. I've done all the usual other
> things...defragging, disk clean up, reducing background tasks, etc - but
> none
> of this makes much difference. Previously these games were really smooth
> but
> now they are unplayable. . .Any ideas anyone, I'd really appreciate some
> help.

Thanks Chris. I tried this with a Catalyst driver but it won't install. I'm
told the set-up components can't be found or that I don't have the right
hardware. Am I doing something else wrong? I know that Catalyst drivers are
for Radeon cards, but the Ati website says notebook owners with Radeons
should refer to their manufacturer website for downloads. I checked this out
but there are none for my laptop. The driver I currently have is the original
2003 one, but I can't find one specifically for a Mobility 9600. What else
can I do . . .any further help would be really appreciated.

"Chris H." wrote:

> Have you tried installing the new drivers while in Safe Mode? Boot using F8
> to get the the menu, then select Safe Mode. This will prevent the present
> drivers from loading, using only generic ones, and should free up being able
> to safely install the new drivers because no programs will be running in the
> background (like your anti-virus).
> In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > The graphics on my Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz 512mb 80gb) have
> > become really choppy on games including CoD and Unreal2004. I have a ATI
> > Radeon 9600 Mobility have but I never managed to successfully get new
> > drivers
> > installed for this over the past year. I've done all the usual other
> > things...defragging, disk clean up, reducing background tasks, etc - but
> > none
> > of this makes much difference. Previously these games were really smooth
> > but
> > now they are unplayable. . .Any ideas anyone, I'd really appreciate some
> > help.

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:29:02 -0700, "Maurice"
<Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>The graphics on my Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz 512mb 80gb) have
>become really choppy on games including CoD and Unreal2004. I have a ATI
>Radeon 9600 Mobility have but I never managed to successfully get new drivers
>installed for this over the past year. I've done all the usual other
>things...defragging, disk clean up, reducing background tasks, etc - but none
>of this makes much difference. Previously these games were really smooth but
>now they are unplayable. . .Any ideas anyone, I'd really appreciate some help.

ATI will not provide drivers for the mobility chipsets, you have to
get them from your laptop manufacturer's web site.

I think you may try the Omega drivers, make sure that you set up a
restore point before installing them, those are not official drivers:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

===
Katy P.
MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

Visit Project Magenta!
http://www.promagenta.com

Thanks Katy,
I checked this out and tried it. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to
get rid of the old drivers. I'm doing this in Safe Mode, but every time I
restart the old ones come back and the Omega one I installed are nowhere to
be seen. What am I doing wrong? Your help is really appreciated.

"Katy Pluta (MS_MVP)" wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:29:02 -0700, "Maurice"
> <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >The graphics on my Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz 512mb 80gb) have
> >become really choppy on games including CoD and Unreal2004. I have a ATI
> >Radeon 9600 Mobility have but I never managed to successfully get new drivers
> >installed for this over the past year. I've done all the usual other
> >things...defragging, disk clean up, reducing background tasks, etc - but none
> >of this makes much difference. Previously these games were really smooth but
> >now they are unplayable. . .Any ideas anyone, I'd really appreciate some help.
>
> ATI will not provide drivers for the mobility chipsets, you have to
> get them from your laptop manufacturer's web site.
>
> I think you may try the Omega drivers, make sure that you set up a
> restore point before installing them, those are not official drivers:
> http://www.omegadrivers.net/
>
> ===
> Katy P.
> MS_MVP for Flight Simulator
>
> Visit Project Magenta!
> http://www.promagenta.com

>I checked this out and tried it. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to
>get rid of the old drivers. I'm doing this in Safe Mode, but every time I
>restart the old ones come back and the Omega one I installed are nowhere to
>be seen. What am I doing wrong? Your help is really appreciated.

There are utilities like driver cleaner that might help, be careful
when using those: backup essential data and create a restore point
before using...

===
Katy P.
MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

Visit Project Magenta!
http://www.promagenta.com

Hi, to install the latest drivers from ATI onto your laptop you will need a
program called DH Modtool, from here http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ Also
if you look on the ATI's website you will find a ATI drivers uninstall tool.
Run this first, reboot your laptop then try to install the ATI drivers, once
it's cancelled having not found the correct hardware you can run the DH
Modtool. This will modify the drivers in such a way that they will install
correctly...
ChrisC