1st time pc builder in hope of some suggestions

rlevan

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Ok so I have decided to build a computer because it was something I always wanted to attempt and have some ideas I would like to run by everyone. First, I am thinking of buying a case from frozencpu with the following preinstalled:

Cooler Master HAF-X Full Tower Custom Liquid Cooled Case - Liquid Cooled Push / Pull Edition XSPC Raystorm RS360 Installed!

Swap Out the Top Fans For LED Versions!: 3 x MegaFlow Blue LED Fans
Select Fluid for Kit: XSPC EC6 Coolant - 1L UV Green
Select A Power Supply: Corsair Professional AX Series 1200W
Select A Cold Cathode Kit: Dual Green Cold Cathode
Professional Sound Dampening Installation: Yes - AcoustiPack ULTIMATE
Sleeve All Internal Case Cables!: Yes (Select Sleeve Color Next)
Select Your Cable Sleeve Color: Kobra High Density UV Green
Select Your Heatshrink Color: Green UV Reactive
Select Fan Control Unit: Dual Voltage 6 Port Baybus
Select Fan Contoller Installation: Regular Installation
Install Cold Cathode Switch On Side Panel: Yes (Green LED Rocker)

I am ordering the case preinstalled with the water cooling because that is something I DO NOT want to mess up (and hopefully they don't either!)
Next, I am considering ordering the following:

---i7-2600k

---GTX 680

---ASUS Sabertooth Z77

---Corsair Vengeance 32 GB

---Crucial M4 256 GB SSD

---Caviar Black 2 TB

Now I know that somethings are more than likely overkill for what I want to use my pc for but I really don't want to limit myself on what I can and can't do. I mainly want to use for gaming (preferably on ultra settings) and get into some video editing in the future. I also may get another graphics card in the future for Sli and may eventually get into overclocking.

I want to thank anyone who reads my rather long post and I would really like any input on the the listed items and maybe some suggestions on what to add or cut. I am basically just doing some research before I begin ordering parts and then finally the assembly (I am sure I will need help here too!)

Thanks everyone,
Ryan

Get the 3770k over the 2600k, increased IPC is better than the better overclock room

The caviar blacks are not really worth it unless you want the longer warranty and I would get caviar blues or seagate barracuda's

16GB is good enough for video editting for the most part but you can get 32GB if you want to be safe

The 670 is really close in performance to the 680 and is quite a bit cheaper

perfrel.gif

on the ram go with the newer low profile low voltage ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148661
two issues with your build..do you know how to take care of the system..ie flushing it and filling it and keeping it from turning green with alga. there going to ship you the system unfilled and your going to have to fill it and burp the air out of the system.
2. issue is if there a leak or a part failure do oyu have the skill to drain and replace the broken parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LjqCoVbZ_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyLp_PeDp8

rlevan

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Thanks for the recommendation! I will check out the ram. As for your questions, I have never had any experience with water cooling. I have read about maintenance and they recommend distilled water and additives. I have experience bleeding lines (just not in a computer) but again have never drained or replaced parts. Would you perhaps recommend a closed water cooling system or stick with air? I am really open to all suggestions.
Thanks,
Ryan

a good sealed water system or a noutura cpu fan cooler will work fine for most hard core gaming rigs with good air flow. as your going to be the repair guy if this system breaks. try and keep it simple. also i find the seal unit look a lot better in good cases.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1246595/official-asus-sabertooth-z77-owners-thread-club/710
http://cache.futurelooks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ASUS-2012-Z77-Technical-Summit-40.jpg
once these rigs are built unless there a part failure they should last you a long long time.
the other issue with water cooling is are you going to move your rig or take it to a lan party..
i seen a lot of lan rigs with cpu coolers that on small drop or bounce ripped the cpu off the mb.

rlevan

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Thanks again! Do you have any experience with the corsair hydro series? If so, what size do you recommend (h80/h100) and are they hard to install yourself?
Thanks and if you recommend anything else I should consider to add in the build I am all ears.
Ryan

The h80 has better performance out of the box while the h100 has more potential if you buy an extra set of fans

get the new series, the h80i and the h100i

They are pretty easy to install but make sure you have enough space (h100/h100i take up 2x120mm fans space)

rlevan

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Hey thanks a lot you have been a big help. I appreciate it!
Ryan

make sure before you drop your cpu into the mb check the mb for bent pins. need a flashlight...small led unit and a magnifier glass. i say this because you never know if the shipping people used your box for football or had a bad day and crushed it. if the pins are bent dont try and fix them make a claim with the shipper and the seller. hopefully you don get a hard drive belt sander on your first build...drive that been dropped and scare the crap out of you because is zooms off the table when you do a test power up. (broken the drive platters inside...)

rlevan

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Will do! I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I don't screw up too bad. Thanks again for the help.
Ryan