Sign in with
Your question

Need some help building my rig

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2013 4:45:57 AM

Hello everyone :) 

So I'm building a new gaming rig,and I want it to be a top end rig that can thrash any game I throw at it :) 

Before I start, ill let everyone know how I will be playing the games,as that always seems to affect the answers you get :)  Ill be playing on a single monitor, right now it is 21" I think, will probably get a new one at about 26" or something, I'm not too clued up with the sizes of screens etc. I'll be playing at as high a resolution as possible and I want to max out all the settings on the games. And like I said, I want it to kill any game that comes its way.

I have decided to wait for Haswell to come before I build it, just so that it can be a little more future proof I case I want to drop in a Broadwell sometime in the future. What are your thoughts on this decision? Also, what is your take on the i7 vs i5 debate?

I don't really have a build for my PC yet, but what I was wondering was what is it that I should be looking for in a motherboard? In my mind, the computer can only be as good as its MB, because it ties everything together. Is my thinking right here or can you settle for an average MB?

With ram, I'm tempted to go for 16GB. Any thoughts? Or is it overkill and I should just go for 8?

And now, onto the GPU. Obviously some new cards may come out between now and the launch of Haswell, most notably the GTX780. I'm looking for a killer card, but I'm open to not buying the most insane card if it will be a TRUE waste of money for my single monitor gaming. But like I've said, I want this machine to be epic....so right now I'm looking at the GTX690. I just don't know if it is too much for my gaming? I know it's the best card the world has ever seen, but just how comfy will that card sit while running BF3 on full settings?

And as far as I know,those are the only real performance parts of the PC. What are your guys thoughts and any advice is much appreciated :) 

More about : building rig

a c 106 B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2013 4:58:28 AM

Might want to fill out this form, it will give us the info needed to best help you.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgra...

If your willing to wait for Haswell, there's no reason not too. Just know that it has an estimated release of mid-year.
For gaming, an i5 is all you need. Games just dont use the i7's Hyperthreading.

Motherboards dont have any real impact to performance, you buy them based on features and price. Something equivalent to an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 will work just fine for high level gaming, has all the features your standard enthusiast could need.

16GB is overkill for gaming, but RAM is cheap so if you want 16GB then its not overly wasteful.

Its called the GTX Titan, not the 780.
If your playing on a single 1080p screen, would bother with any more powerful than a 7970 Ghz, more GPU grunt at that point will just be wasted.
m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2013 5:01:30 AM

Quote:
I have decided to wait for Haswell to come before I build it, just so that it can be a little more future proof I case I want to drop in a Broadwell sometime in the future. What are your thoughts on this decision? Also, what is your take on the i7 vs i5 debate?

Future proofing is a bit of a moot point - no matter what system you buy there's always something coming down the pike that's going to be better than what you bought. It's part of Moore's Law. If you look - Intel released the CPU line for Haswell, the numbers are almost identical to that of Ivy Bridge. There's nothing new being brought to the table in terms of clock speeds. What Haswell is doing is releasing a new manufacturing process that is resulting in a smaller CPU die. This will lead to low power consumption with higher clock speeds down the road.

Quote:
I don't really have a build for my PC yet, but what I was wondering was what is it that I should be looking for in a motherboard? In my mind, the computer can only be as good as its MB, because it ties everything together. Is my thinking right here or can you settle for an average MB?

You can't really recommend motherboards that haven't been released yet. Haswell will be using a new socket called LGA 1150, which means that 1155 will be the end of the line. The motherboard is a crucial component but what will really make or break a system is your GPU.

Quote:
And now, onto the GPU. Obviously some new cards may come out between now and the launch of Haswell, most notably the GTX780. I'm looking for a killer card, but I'm open to not buying the most insane card if it will be a TRUE waste of money for my single monitor gaming. But like I've said, I want this machine to be epic....so right now I'm looking at the GTX690. I just don't know if it is too much for my gaming? I know it's the best card the world has ever seen, but just how comfy will that card sit while running BF3 on full settings?

That's a huuuuuuuuuuuge over exaggeration. The GTX 690 is a good card no question, but it's far from the best ever made. The GTX 690 is essentially dual GK109 graphics processors on one card. It's essentially an SLI'd GTX 670. If you research benchmarks most will tell you that an SLI 670 configuration matches the GTX 690 while coming in at $300 less. The next generation is going to be a slightly faster rehash of the current generation - nothing really significant in a change of architecture like Keppler is.

Quote:
With ram, I'm tempted to go for 16GB. Any thoughts? Or is it overkill and I should just go for 8?

No - do not spend a huge amount of your budget on RAM. All RAM pretty much comes off the same assembly line in Taiwan and most are pretty identical in performance.
m
l
!