Should I wait for the AMD 8000's to come out?

daniel404

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I'm thinking of building a gaming pc. Will there be a significant price decrease or performance increase after the 8000's come out?

4745454b

Titan
Latest rumors I've heard. AMD did rebrand some 7 series cards (mostly) as "OEM 8 series", but they are cards already out.

AMD is pushing hard to get either the next top end or top of midrange out before Cmas. They might make it. NVidia is trying the same, but more likely to be early 2014. Either way as someone else pointed out there shouldn't be a die shrink with these cards so performance probably won't jump much. Unless someone is willing to greatly increase size of the chip, which will drop yields.

Wait nearly a year to get similar performance? As already mentioned just buy now. Waiting isn't going to get you much.

So far we don't even know what the "Steam Box" will be. My guess it will be more of a Linux platform/OS that Valve create and various manufacturers will make builds to run it. So that way you get the uniformity of a console, yet the flexibility and performance tiers of a PC.
Dont even know if Valve will sell their own Steam box.

But no, the Steam Box however it ends up being wont make a difference. Its like asking if you should put off a graphics card upgrade because the Xbox 720 is coming out soon, would make no difference.

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
actually i discussed the steambox with my computer science professor today (hes a game programmer) apparently its going to be made of "mid-range" components in an effort to "standardize pc gaming and consoles" however i was not presented with more than his word so take it with a grain of salt, as for the 8XXX cards there has also been word that AMD is planning a daring attempt to launch the cards with such forward abilities that they wont release the 9XXX series for two years after...once again speculation but my guess is that it is for sure not worth the wait! heres 3 reasones within the next two months
1.) bioshock infinite
2.) crysis 3
3.) metro last light...its goes on

4745454b

Titan
"My professor said so" only works in class. Not disagreeing with him as some of it makes sense, but unless he works for valve and decided to break his NDA for some reason possibly not.

I again say buy now for reasons already mentioned. This year has more games coming out. To wait so long doesn't sound like fun to me.

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Precisely why I mentioned taking it for what you will, along with the fact that rumors are rumors until provided with hard manufacturer evidence