Sign in with
Your question

Attempting to use TV as PC Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2012 4:14:06 PM

Hello,
I received a 32" tv for Christmas to start using as a computer monitor for gaming. The TV does support 1080p resolution. My video card has HDMI output. My problem is I am unable to display the monitor in 1920*1080 resolution. It seems to stretch over the screen in every direction. Just barely, but enough it is noticeable and would make gaming challenging due to UI layouts. I am playing at a smaller resolution and it's working, just not ideal. Any suggestions for being able to display 1920*1080? There was a setting on the TV to change from Wide display to Dot by Dot display, which made a huge difference in the overall picture quality, but the picture still does not fit the screen. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

More about : attempting monitor

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 27, 2012 4:21:11 PM

In your video card's settings, look for an "Overscan" setting.

Casey
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2012 4:38:39 PM

pretty sure this is a duplicate post...

make sure the TV's picture position/zoom settings are correct and that the GPU is outputting the correct resolution
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 27, 2012 4:44:16 PM

Yes try his suggestion first or your TV may have other formats that are more appropriate (usually Full, H-Fill, True, Stretch, try them all if you haven't yet, true would be my guess).
December 27, 2012 6:02:59 PM

Awesome, when I get home I will check some of the GPU settings. It's EVGA chipset, any specifics to where the "Overscan" setting is?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 27, 2012 6:06:20 PM

It'll depend on the brand, AMD it will probably be in the catalyst control center, on an NVidia card it will be whatever the heck they call their program (lol I have Nvidia too, just can't recall the program).
December 27, 2012 6:07:42 PM

Awesome thanks everyone. Will update in anohter 3-4 hours when I get home and test it out. You all are great.
!