Sign in with
Your question

Requesting help upgrading a computers graphics card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2012 4:17:02 PM

My father has asked me to give him find a graphics card with the price under 75$. Since I just built my PC he figured I would know of some cards to buy.

The problem> He only uses the computer for a Gpotato game called Rappelz and he says when he goes back and fourth from the desktop to the full screen game via ctrl>esc or tab (i forgot what he said) so many times the screen will go completely black and it really frustrates him and the only way to get out of it is to spam ctrl alt del but it only gives him about 6-10 seconds to close the game before it goes back to black screen and then he has to relaunch the game. He asked me to see if something is wrong with his graphics card and when i checked device manager I told him he only has a chipset and then he said well I think I'll upgrade to a discrete gpu.

He has a HP pavilion p6644y I think, with windows 7 64bit, 4gbs ram, and a duel core cpu. The chipset is Intel G41 Express
link > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Last thing!
Do you think the problem is even GPU related? or is it a memory problem of some sorts? I know the problem isnt with the game because he said it has always done that on the computer but it doesnt so it on his dell xps windows XP computer or on his new samsung laptop. Only on his HP pavilion
Thanks!!
December 27, 2012 4:37:04 PM

The specs say minimum of 400w power supply and the power supply on this system is 250w
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2012 4:49:38 PM

It may not be hardware related at all, some programs do not react well to being Alt-Tabbed/minimized. I have several games running on Dos Boxes that have given me some pretty hefty crashes after minimizing them, and I have also run into issues with games on steam that are not necessarily crashes but affect the graphics display until I relaunch the program. For example, in TF2 if I minimize while waiting for a game to load, my HUD shows up out of sorts until I restart the game.
m
l
a c 192 U Graphics card
December 27, 2012 11:44:19 PM

The specs are overstated in the [often vain] attempt to account for all the liar-labeled PSU-shaped objects out there. Your father's HP has a small PSU, but it won't be junk. It will have no trouble powering a HD6570; none at all. It's missing from the chart at http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264 but I'd be surprised if it pulls even 50W running flat out.
m
l
December 28, 2012 3:07:00 AM

chugot9218 said:
It may not be hardware related at all, some programs do not react well to being Alt-Tabbed/minimized. I have several games running on Dos Boxes that have given me some pretty hefty crashes after minimizing them, and I have also run into issues with games on steam that are not necessarily crashes but affect the graphics display until I relaunch the program. For example, in TF2 if I minimize while waiting for a game to load, my HUD shows up out of sorts until I restart the game.

But my father was saying it doesn't do it on the other two computers he uses his slave accounts on when he alt tabs.
m
l
!