probably something simple

fred

I have installed games for my kids on my pc. the games are rated E. My kids
have there own screen set up as a limited user. Why can't they run these
games without my signature? Whenever they try to open them the "Run As"
window appears. How do I stop this and allow then access wothout me being
there? Thanksfor your time.
--
FLW III

Fred, Jimmy S. usually bops right in here with answers, but I'll supply you
with one of his previous posts for this situation:
=====
Some games will work with limited accounts after they have been installed
and
run once either using an administrator account, or by temporarily changing
the
limited user account(s) to an admin account in Control Panel / User
Accounts,
just for the purpose of running the game the first time in order to be able
install the necessary files and create the keys in the registry that it
needs to
function, but may not be able to due to the restrictive nature of limited
accounts.

If that mouthful doesn't resolve the issue, use the "Run As.." command
instead:

1. Click Start / Control Panel / User Accounts / Create a New Account /
Name the Account: "able2play" (without quotes) / Next Pick: "Computer-
Administrator" & Click "Create Account";

2. Click on your new able2play account and Create a Password for it;

3. When your limited user wants to play a game that requires Administrator
privileges they can Right-Click the shortcut to that game / Click Run
As... /
"The Following User": able2play and enter the password. Simple as that!

I know what you're thinking: That defeats the purpose of the limited user
account.
To secure the "able2play" account so that it can't be used to logon to the
computer:

First you can hide the account so that it won't show up on the Welcome
Screen:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_hide_users.htm (thanks Doug!)

Next add a shortcut to the windows logoff routine into the RUN key of the
able2play registry. I made a reg patch to simplify this process if you wish
to use it:

4. Logon to the "able2play" account,

5. <ONLY RUN THIS PATCH USING THE "ABLE2PLAY" ACCOUNT>
Save this patch to your drive and then doubleclick it to install it to
your registry.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/OnlyRunUsingAble2PlayAccount.reg

or

*Instead of using the reg patch, click Start / Run / regedt32 / browse
to:
[HKCU\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and
Click Edit / New / String value / ValueName: logoff / Value data: logoff

From now on, if anyone logs on with the "able2play" account, the computer
will log
them off immediately. They will not gain access to an administrators
desktop! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
Contact
=====

In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed games for my kids on my pc. the games are rated E. My kids
> have there own screen set up as a limited user. Why can't they run these
> games without my signature? Whenever they try to open them the "Run As"
> window appears. How do I stop this and allow then access wothout me being
> there? Thanksfor your time.
> --
> FLW III

fred

Thanks Chris. Very helpful. I'm still somewhat illiterate as far as
installing patches so I'll probably use the registry modification since I
almost unserstand it. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS