Problems installing video card drivers

Hi,
My games have been running pretty choppy when once they were fine on my
Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz, 512mb, 128mb Radeon Mobility 9600). ATI
don't make video drivers for this, and F-J haven't got updated ones. I've
downloaded Omega drivers but I can't install them properly. I'm able to
uninstall the old ATI ones and (apparently) install the new ones, but after
rebooting the video card device is disabled. When I enable the card the old
drivers reinstall automatically, and there's no sign of the Omega ones.
Equally, when I do this in either VGA or Safe Mode, the old drivers keep
returning on reboot. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Hi Maurice,

You might need to remove those faulty drivers using this utility
*** CREATE a RESTORE POINT before using this please!

Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4056B144-6D48-4353-AEF4-292F7655F41A@microsoft.com...
| Hi,
| My games have been running pretty choppy when once they were fine on my
| Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz, 512mb, 128mb Radeon Mobility 9600). ATI
| don't make video drivers for this, and F-J haven't got updated ones. I've
| downloaded Omega drivers but I can't install them properly. I'm able to
| uninstall the old ATI ones and (apparently) install the new ones, but after
| rebooting the video card device is disabled. When I enable the card the old
| drivers reinstall automatically, and there's no sign of the Omega ones.
| Equally, when I do this in either VGA or Safe Mode, the old drivers keep
| returning on reboot. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for that. I tried following this but the new drivers won't work. I
keep getting a message that the device is not working properly. Can else can
I do? I really appreciate your help.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> You might need to remove those faulty drivers using this utility
> *** CREATE a RESTORE POINT before using this please!
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4056B144-6D48-4353-AEF4-292F7655F41A@microsoft.com...
> | Hi,
> | My games have been running pretty choppy when once they were fine on my
> | Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz, 512mb, 128mb Radeon Mobility 9600). ATI
> | don't make video drivers for this, and F-J haven't got updated ones. I've
> | downloaded Omega drivers but I can't install them properly. I'm able to
> | uninstall the old ATI ones and (apparently) install the new ones, but after
> | rebooting the video card device is disabled. When I enable the card the old
> | drivers reinstall automatically, and there's no sign of the Omega ones.
> | Equally, when I do this in either VGA or Safe Mode, the old drivers keep
> | returning on reboot. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm

The above site is the SiS driver advisor.
SiS manufactured the chipsets for your laptop.
It's possible that you need to upgrade those first.

--

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28CA6540-5716-4FDD-A4BB-669B9FA46281@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for that. I tried following this but the new drivers won't work. I
> keep getting a message that the device is not working properly. Can else can
> I do? I really appreciate your help.
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Maurice,
>>
>> You might need to remove those faulty drivers using this utility
>> *** CREATE a RESTORE POINT before using this please!
>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
>> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>
>> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4056B144-6D48-4353-AEF4-292F7655F41A@microsoft.com...
>> | Hi,
>> | My games have been running pretty choppy when once they were fine on my
>> | Fujitsu-Siemens D1840 laptop (3ghz, 512mb, 128mb Radeon Mobility 9600). ATI
>> | don't make video drivers for this, and F-J haven't got updated ones. I've
>> | downloaded Omega drivers but I can't install them properly. I'm able to
>> | uninstall the old ATI ones and (apparently) install the new ones, but after
>> | rebooting the video card device is disabled. When I enable the card the old
>> | drivers reinstall automatically, and there's no sign of the Omega ones.
>> | Equally, when I do this in either VGA or Safe Mode, the old drivers keep
>> | returning on reboot. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Hi Jimmy,
Checked this. . .everything seems to be in place. Any other ideas?, I
appreciate your help.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm
>
> The above site is the SiS driver advisor.
> SiS manufactured the chipsets for your laptop.
> It's possible that you need to upgrade those first.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28CA6540-5716-4FDD-A4BB-669B9FA46281@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for that. I tried following this but the new drivers won't work. I
> > keep getting a message that the device is not working properly. Can else can
> > I do? I really appreciate your help.
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Maurice,
> >>
> >> You might need to remove those faulty drivers using this utility
> >> *** CREATE a RESTORE POINT before using this please!
> >> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> >> _________________________________________________________

Hi Maurice,

We never tried to do a System Restore back to when the device worked:
Click Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore

--

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08D101FC-C506-4FB9-A177-9A7EA0EBFB7C@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy,
| Checked this. . .everything seems to be in place. Any other ideas?, I
| appreciate your help.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm
| >
| > The above site is the SiS driver advisor.
| > SiS manufactured the chipsets for your laptop.
| > It's possible that you need to upgrade those first.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28CA6540-5716-4FDD-A4BB-669B9FA46281@microsoft.com...
| > > Thanks for that. I tried following this but the new drivers won't work. I
| > > keep getting a message that the device is not working properly. Can else can
| > > I do? I really appreciate your help.

Hi Jimmy S,
Thanks for your reply. I have actually tried that, but to no avail. I have
assumed it is the video drivers that are at fault for the choppy graphics.
The other steps I have taken include defraging the hard drive, checked for
disk errors, cleaned up the disk, cleaned the registry, and so on.
The graphics have worsened over the past two months or so, so I assume it
might be down to the drivers. Because it is a laptop, I cannot use the ATI
Catalyst drivers on my PC. Fujitsu-Siemens say they have not issued a newer
driver than the old one I have. It is from July 2003, which I find hard to
believe but anyway. So I have tried installing Omega drivers (which are
modded drivers based on Catalyst ones designed specifically to run on Radeon
Mobility cards) but it won't work. Also, I tried a driver modder tool that
should enable me to run Catalyst drivers, but that won't work either.
Can you think of anything else I might do to get round this choppy graphics
problem? I really appreciate your replies so far.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> We never tried to do a System Restore back to when the device worked:
> Click Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08D101FC-C506-4FB9-A177-9A7EA0EBFB7C@microsoft.com...
> | Hi Jimmy,
> | Checked this. . .everything seems to be in place. Any other ideas?, I
> | appreciate your help.
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm
> | >
> | > The above site is the SiS driver advisor.
> | > SiS manufactured the chipsets for your laptop.
> | > It's possible that you need to upgrade those first.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

Hi Maurice,

We haven't tried repairing Windows yet. That could help us here.

How To Repair Windows:
Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows:
using this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Afterwards, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall,
plug back into your Internet connection and install all Critical and
Recommended updates from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
Contact

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3C61DB0-8E0C-4553-9CF1-0601965C98E6@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy S,
| Thanks for your reply. I have actually tried that, but to no avail. I have
| assumed it is the video drivers that are at fault for the choppy graphics.
| The other steps I have taken include defraging the hard drive, checked for
| disk errors, cleaned up the disk, cleaned the registry, and so on.
| The graphics have worsened over the past two months or so, so I assume it
| might be down to the drivers. Because it is a laptop, I cannot use the ATI
| Catalyst drivers on my PC. Fujitsu-Siemens say they have not issued a newer
| driver than the old one I have. It is from July 2003, which I find hard to
| believe but anyway. So I have tried installing Omega drivers (which are
| modded drivers based on Catalyst ones designed specifically to run on Radeon
| Mobility cards) but it won't work. Also, I tried a driver modder tool that
| should enable me to run Catalyst drivers, but that won't work either.
| Can you think of anything else I might do to get round this choppy graphics
| problem? I really appreciate your replies so far.
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Maurice,
| >
| > We never tried to do a System Restore back to when the device worked:
| > Click Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08D101FC-C506-4FB9-A177-9A7EA0EBFB7C@microsoft.com...
| > | Hi Jimmy,
| > | Checked this. . .everything seems to be in place. Any other ideas?, I
| > | appreciate your help.
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |

Hi Jimmy,
Sorry for the delay in reply, I lent my laptop to somebody. I will try your
suggestion. In the meantime is there a way I can check which background tasks
I can get rid of, and once I have done that, how to stop them at start up.
Thanks gain for your help.
Cheers,
Maurice

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> We haven't tried repairing Windows yet. That could help us here.
>

> How To Repair Windows:
> Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows:
> using this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> Afterwards, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall,
> plug back into your Internet connection and install all Critical and
> Recommended updates from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
> Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3C61DB0-8E0C-4553-9CF1-0601965C98E6@microsoft.com...
> | Hi Jimmy S,
> | Thanks for your reply. I have actually tried that, but to no avail. I have
> | assumed it is the video drivers that are at fault for the choppy graphics.
> | The other steps I have taken include defraging the hard drive, checked for
> | disk errors, cleaned up the disk, cleaned the registry, and so on.
> | The graphics have worsened over the past two months or so, so I assume it
> | might be down to the drivers. Because it is a laptop, I cannot use the ATI
> | Catalyst drivers on my PC. Fujitsu-Siemens say they have not issued a newer
> | driver than the old one I have. It is from July 2003, which I find hard to
> | believe but anyway. So I have tried installing Omega drivers (which are
> | modded drivers based on Catalyst ones designed specifically to run on Radeon
> | Mobility cards) but it won't work. Also, I tried a driver modder tool that
> | should enable me to run Catalyst drivers, but that won't work either.
> | Can you think of anything else I might do to get round this choppy graphics
> | problem? I really appreciate your replies so far.
> |

> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Maurice,
> | >
> | > We never tried to do a System Restore back to when the device worked:
> | > Click Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |

Hi Maurice,

If you Click Start / Run / and type:
msconfig

... you'll be able to see what programs are loaded at startup on your PC.

--

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E8C3924-C627-4A96-B427-F97B0EF32D66@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy,
| Sorry for the delay in reply, I lent my laptop to somebody. I will try your
| suggestion. In the meantime is there a way I can check which background tasks
| I can get rid of, and once I have done that, how to stop them at start up.
| Thanks gain for your help.
| Cheers,
| Maurice
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Maurice,
| >
| > We haven't tried repairing Windows yet. That could help us here.
| >

| > How To Repair Windows:
| > Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows:
| > using this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
| >
| > Afterwards, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall,
| > plug back into your Internet connection and install all Critical and
| > Recommended updates from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| > Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >

| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3C61DB0-8E0C-4553-9CF1-0601965C98E6@microsoft.com...
| > | Hi Jimmy S,
| > | Thanks for your reply. I have actually tried that, but to no avail. I have
| > | assumed it is the video drivers that are at fault for the choppy graphics.
| > | The other steps I have taken include defraging the hard drive, checked for
| > | disk errors, cleaned up the disk, cleaned the registry, and so on.
| > | The graphics have worsened over the past two months or so, so I assume it
| > | might be down to the drivers. Because it is a laptop, I cannot use the ATI
| > | Catalyst drivers on my PC. Fujitsu-Siemens say they have not issued a newer
| > | driver than the old one I have. It is from July 2003, which I find hard to
| > | believe but anyway. So I have tried installing Omega drivers (which are
| > | modded drivers based on Catalyst ones designed specifically to run on Radeon
| > | Mobility cards) but it won't work. Also, I tried a driver modder tool that
| > | should enable me to run Catalyst drivers, but that won't work either.
| > | Can you think of anything else I might do to get round this choppy graphics
| > | problem? I really appreciate your replies so far.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]

Thanks Jimmy,
I think I'm getting there. I have used msconfig and disabled around a third
of start up programs I think I don't need - the graphics are now fine. Once I
am sure I do not need them is there a way I can permanently remove them from
start up or the computer entirely. At the moment I am getting the system
config box on start up, which I don't want every time.
Also while I was trying those new video drivers I uninstalled my ATI control
panel. It is too long ago for a system restore. Is it downloadable from
somewhere? I really appreciate your help!
Maurice

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> If you Click Start / Run / and type:
> msconfig
>
> ... you'll be able to see what programs are loaded at startup on your PC.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E8C3924-C627-4A96-B427-F97B0EF32D66@microsoft.com...
> | Hi Jimmy,
> | Sorry for the delay in reply, I lent my laptop to somebody. I will try your
> | suggestion. In the meantime is there a way I can check which background tasks
> | I can get rid of, and once I have done that, how to stop them at start up.
> | Thanks gain for your help.
> | Cheers,
> | Maurice
> |

> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Maurice,
> | >
> | > We haven't tried repairing Windows yet. That could help us here.
> | >

> | > How To Repair Windows:
> | > Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows:
> | > using this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> | >
> | > Afterwards, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall,
> | > plug back into your Internet connection and install all Critical and
> | > Recommended updates from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >

> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
> | > Contact
> | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

Hi Maurice,

I'm glad that the graphics are working fine now! :)

You can download the ATI Control Panel here:

To permanently remove selective startup programs, they
need to be deleted from one of two places most likely:

Your Startup Folder
Your Windows Registry

It depends on the location indicated on the file you disabled.

--

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C787D67-7595-4745-AF5C-2BE8A38B54A8@microsoft.com...
| Thanks Jimmy,
| I think I'm getting there. I have used msconfig and disabled around a third
| of start up programs I think I don't need - the graphics are now fine. Once I
| am sure I do not need them is there a way I can permanently remove them from
| start up or the computer entirely. At the moment I am getting the system
| config box on start up, which I don't want every time.
| Also while I was trying those new video drivers I uninstalled my ATI control
| panel. It is too long ago for a system restore. Is it downloadable from
| somewhere? I really appreciate your help!
| Maurice
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Maurice,
| >
| > If you Click Start / Run / and type:
| > msconfig
| >
| > ... you'll be able to see what programs are loaded at startup on your PC.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E8C3924-C627-4A96-B427-F97B0EF32D66@microsoft.com...
| > | Hi Jimmy,
| > | Sorry for the delay in reply, I lent my laptop to somebody. I will try your
| > | suggestion. In the meantime is there a way I can check which background tasks
| > | I can get rid of, and once I have done that, how to stop them at start up.
| > | Thanks gain for your help.
| > | Cheers,
| > | Maurice
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
> [...]

I have made the experience that it is easiest to disable start up items
with the 'Spybot' program. You need to activate the advance mode and
then go to start up where you can simply untick the item (without
Msconfig complaining). It also gives descriptions to most items. I think
the site is www.spybot.com , but I am not sure, it is an eternity ago
that I downloaded it.

Jimmy S. wrote:

>Hi Maurice,
>
>I'm glad that the graphics are working fine now! :)
>
>You can download the ATI Control Panel here:
>http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=513
>
>To permanently remove selective startup programs, they
>need to be deleted from one of two places most likely:
>
>Your Startup Folder
>Your Windows Registry
>
>It depends on the location indicated on the file you disabled.

Thanks guys for your help. I have got the ATI panel back and up and running.
Some extra questions, I hope you are not getting too tired of this thread. To
selectively remove starup programs how do I access the starup folder and
Windows registry? Also, I guess my graphics have been affected because of a
general XP slowdown caused by a general cluttering of the computer over time.
I have uninstalled as much as I can, defragged, checked for disk errors,
deleted cookies, run registry and malware cleaners etc, but XP is still slow
occasionally. Is there anything extra I can do to clean up completely? There
a few programs that I can't uninstall, is there a special program that will
zap these out?
Thanks,
Maurice

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> I'm glad that the graphics are working fine now! :)
>
> You can download the ATI Control Panel here:
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=513
>
> To permanently remove selective startup programs, they
> need to be deleted from one of two places most likely:
>
> Your Startup Folder
> Your Windows Registry
>
> It depends on the location indicated on the file you disabled.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C787D67-7595-4745-AF5C-2BE8A38B54A8@microsoft.com...
> | Thanks Jimmy,
> | I think I'm getting there. I have used msconfig and disabled around a third
> | of start up programs I think I don't need - the graphics are now fine. Once I
> | am sure I do not need them is there a way I can permanently remove them from
> | start up or the computer entirely. At the moment I am getting the system
> | config box on start up, which I don't want every time.
> | Also while I was trying those new video drivers I uninstalled my ATI control
> | panel. It is too long ago for a system restore. Is it downloadable from
> | somewhere? I really appreciate your help!
> | Maurice
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Maurice,
> | >
> | > If you Click Start / Run / and type:
> | > msconfig
> | >
> | > ... you'll be able to see what programs are loaded at startup on your PC.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

Hi Maurice,

Happy to see that so much progress has been made. :)

To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using msconfig: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310560
and this advice: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

And Easier way is to download and install this applet called Startup
which installs directly into your Control Panel to control all startups:
http://www.download.com/Startup-Control-Panel/3000-2094_4-1539340.html?tag=lst-0-2

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

--

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E495A815-9B49-4A86-9CE8-C446B10655F0@microsoft.com...
| Thanks guys for your help. I have got the ATI panel back and up and running.
| Some extra questions, I hope you are not getting too tired of this thread. To
| selectively remove starup programs how do I access the starup folder and
| Windows registry? Also, I guess my graphics have been affected because of a
| general XP slowdown caused by a general cluttering of the computer over time.
| I have uninstalled as much as I can, defragged, checked for disk errors,
| deleted cookies, run registry and malware cleaners etc, but XP is still slow
| occasionally. Is there anything extra I can do to clean up completely? There
| a few programs that I can't uninstall, is there a special program that will
| zap these out?
| Thanks,
| Maurice
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Maurice,
| >
| > I'm glad that the graphics are working fine now! :)
| >
| > You can download the ATI Control Panel here:
| > http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=513
| >
| > To permanently remove selective startup programs, they
| > need to be deleted from one of two places most likely:
| >
| > Your Startup Folder
| > Your Windows Registry
| >
| > It depends on the location indicated on the file you disabled.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C787D67-7595-4745-AF5C-2BE8A38B54A8@microsoft.com...
| > | Thanks Jimmy,
| > | I think I'm getting there. I have used msconfig and disabled around a third
| > | of start up programs I think I don't need - the graphics are now fine. Once I
| > | am sure I do not need them is there a way I can permanently remove them from
| > | start up or the computer entirely. At the moment I am getting the system
| > | config box on start up, which I don't want every time.
| > | Also while I was trying those new video drivers I uninstalled my ATI control
| > | panel. It is too long ago for a system restore. Is it downloadable from
| > | somewhere? I really appreciate your help!
| > | Maurice
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |

Thanks Jimmy,
Now I'm pretty sure which background tasks I don't need, who do I
permanently get rid of them?
Regards,
Maurice

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> [...]
> |
> | > Hi Maurice,
> | >
> | > I'm glad that the graphics are working fine now! :)
> | >
> | > You can download the ATI Control Panel here:
> | > http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=513
> | >
> | > To permanently remove selective startup programs, they
> | > need to be deleted from one of two places most likely:
> | >
> | > Your Startup Folder
> | > Your Windows Registry
> | >
> | > It depends on the location indicated on the file you disabled.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

I'm not sure if there is a delay in my NG feed or not, but just in case...

Try this utility: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
or this method: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:646FDFA3-7470-4582-9EF0-A9883A151BF5@microsoft.com...
| Thanks Jimmy,
| Now I'm pretty sure which background tasks I don't need, who do I
| permanently get rid of them?
| Regards,
| Maurice
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Maurice,
| >
| > Happy to see that so much progress has been made. :)
| >
| > To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
| > programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
| > blockers using msconfig: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310560
| > and this advice: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
| >
| > And Easier way is to download and install this applet called Startup
| > which installs directly into your Control Panel to control all startups:
| > http://www.download.com/Startup-Control-Panel/3000-2094_4-1539340.html?tag=lst-0-2
| >
| > You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
| > http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E495A815-9B49-4A86-9CE8-C446B10655F0@microsoft.com...
| > | Thanks guys for your help. I have got the ATI panel back and up and running.
| > | Some extra questions, I hope you are not getting too tired of this thread. To
| > | selectively remove starup programs how do I access the starup folder and
| > | Windows registry? Also, I guess my graphics have been affected because of a
| > | general XP slowdown caused by a general cluttering of the computer over time.
| > | I have uninstalled as much as I can, defragged, checked for disk errors,
| > | deleted cookies, run registry and malware cleaners etc, but XP is still slow
| > | occasionally. Is there anything extra I can do to clean up completely? There
| > | a few programs that I can't uninstall, is there a special program that will
| > | zap these out?
| > | Thanks,
| > | Maurice
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |

Thanks Jimmy,
I think that's just about it and everything is just about good. My only last
problem is that BF1942 on a new reinstall is still choppy. The problem must
be with that program. Do you know if there could be anything else that you
have haven't mentioned before. I have followed your advice so far and it has
been great.
Also, do you think a Windows reinstall could help at all.
Cheers,
Maurice

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> I'm not sure if there is a delay in my NG feed or not, but just in case...
>
> Try this utility: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
> or this method: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:646FDFA3-7470-4582-9EF0-A9883A151BF5@microsoft.com...
> | Thanks Jimmy,
> | Now I'm pretty sure which background tasks I don't need, who do I
> | permanently get rid of them?
> | Regards,
> | Maurice
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Maurice,
> | >
> | > Happy to see that so much progress has been made. :)
> | >
> | > To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
> | > programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
> | > blockers using msconfig: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310560
> | > and this advice: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
> | >
> | > And Easier way is to download and install this applet called Startup
> | > which installs directly into your Control Panel to control all startups:
> | > http://www.download.com/Startup-Control-Panel/3000-2094_4-1539340.html?tag=lst-0-2
> | >
> | > You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
> | > http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > | > |

Hi Maurice,

Absolutely. Nothing runs faster nor cleaner than a fresh install! :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86B45CBC-9276-448C-8514-81BF0C898138@microsoft.com...

| Thanks Jimmy,
| I think that's just about it and everything is just about good. My only last
| problem is that BF1942 on a new reinstall is still choppy. The problem must
| be with that program. Do you know if there could be anything else that you
| have haven't mentioned before. I have followed your advice so far and it has
| been great.
| Also, do you think a Windows reinstall could help at all.
| Cheers,
| Maurice
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Maurice,
| >
| > I'm not sure if there is a delay in my NG feed or not, but just in case...
| >
| > Try this utility: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
| > or this method: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:646FDFA3-7470-4582-9EF0-A9883A151BF5@microsoft.com...
| > | Thanks Jimmy,
| > | Now I'm pretty sure which background tasks I don't need, who do I
| > | permanently get rid of them?
| > | Regards,
| > | Maurice
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > | > |

Hi Jimmy,
Can you tell me the easiest way to do that? I think that should be my last
question, this has turned out to be the world's longest thread! Thanks for
all your help on this, I have learnt a lot.
Regards,
Maurice

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0D2D189-736C-489E-9587-A486AB8FBA0C@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy,
| Can you tell me the easiest way to do that? I think that should be my last
| question, this has turned out to be the world's longest thread! Thanks for
| all your help on this, I have learnt a lot.
| Regards,
| Maurice
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Maurice,
| >
| > Absolutely. Nothing runs faster nor cleaner than a fresh install! :)
| >
| > Cheers,
| > Jimmy.
| >
| > "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86B45CBC-9276-448C-8514-81BF0C898138@microsoft.com...
| > |
| > | Thanks Jimmy,
| > | I think that's just about it and everything is just about good. My only last
| > | problem is that BF1942 on a new reinstall is still choppy. The problem must
| > | be with that program. Do you know if there could be anything else that you
| > | have haven't mentioned before. I have followed your advice so far and it has
| > | been great.
| > | Also, do you think a Windows reinstall could help at all.
| > | Cheers,
| > | Maurice
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]