Need serious help with system not booting

GottaStrike

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Okay so i bought a pre-built from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258017

Tried to take out the GPU and install a Nvidia 9800 GT. It would start up but only for a second, then shut down. It does this repeatedly untill i disconnect the PSU. Now i put back in the old graphics card and i'm still having the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

I cannot boot or get to bios. The system just turns on, then turns off, then repeats.

Please help, thank you in advance.

GottaStrike

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Do you think my replacement could have caused that? Or just a cheap PSU? It is apparently some brand called PowerMan. Has korean writing on it so i doubt its a good brand.

Graphics card fans and system fans all spin and activate. It just shuts down and repeatedly restarts and shuts down over and over.

GottaStrike

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Just tried that. Still no luck. Guess im going to have to try and get it replaced since newegg is telling me they dont do refunds for their desktops.

While the PSU may equate to a "Edsel" or worse, Do not be too quick to blame it.

First: Try reseating all MB power connectors, Then remove and re-insert memory modules.
2nd try power on with out a gpu.

A cheap Digital Voltmeter (18 bucks @ walmart) connected to a molex connector will tell you if +5 and +12V are OK. Black meter lead to black center molex pin. red meter lead to red molex pin = +5V and to other end (orange wre is the +12V.
Using a Digital multimeter is so simple my wife could do it (cave man gets to much credit). Just google using a voltmeter and watch a short youtube video.

PS Most store bought computers generally use a PSU that is better used to prop the door open - LOL. SO yes that could be the problem.