Graphics and web workstation for professional

cbzehner

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hey y'all, my brother has an inspiron 530 that is on it's last legs and has asked me to find him an new workstation that will last a couple of years (hoping for at least 5 here). He is a professional web developer and amateur photographer with fairly nice camera hardware.

His typical usage senario is a couple of photoshop windows, dreamweaver, illustrator, two or three web browser with three dozen tabs between them. And here's the kicker, he wants to run three monitors on this setup and has already picked one out, a panoramic display with a buddy on each side.

Dell employee discount access made us look at the XPS 8500's but I would rather save him money and get him a better machine. What would you recommend?

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: the closer the better

Budget Range: 1500 - 2000 After Rebates / Before Shipping / Including Monitors (let me know if the last is unreasonable)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Adobe creative suite, tons of browser tabs, occasional video editing, personal (not a gamer)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, already picked out a panoramic display, either lg 29ea93 or Dell UltraSharp U2913WM

Parts to Upgrade: All new

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com but I'd rather save money

Parts Preferences: intel cpu, I've heard Radeon has better graphics cards for non-gamers

Overclocking: No, would you recommend it?

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1x 2560 x 1080 and 2x small monitors for either side

Additional Comments: Quiet wold be a big bonus in a small home office environment

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I hope I covered this above

Thanks for your suggestions

g-unit1111

Titan

No I'd go with a far stronger CPU. The i5 3350p is relatively weak for a photo editing rig.

Parts Preferences: intel cpu, I've heard Radeon has better graphics cards for non-gamers

The Fire Pros are, the standard Radeons are not. NVIDIA cards will give you a better advantage because they have additional hardware acceleration functions that programs like CS5 / 6 take advantage of such as CUDA and Phys X.

If you're not going to overclock I'd do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $985.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-12 16:41 EST-0500)

As far as display goes you can get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-MULTI-27-LED-2560X1440-S-IPS-Monitor-/140851281766?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20cb63ff66

For far less than the original displays picked out and it has a 1440p resolution. Similar displays are the Achieva Shimian and Crossover 27Q.