Closed Solved

HD 7970 high temperature

I just received my PC on Christmas eve and was concerned about the temperature my GPU reaches. An example is, I start far cry 3 and sit at the menu and the temperature rises to 95c and the acitivity is 100%. I used two temperature gauges to verify speedfan and catalyst control center. I hear the 7970 runs hot but how hot it too hot. My idle temp is below 42c
XTREMEGEAR 700 WATT POWER SUPPLY
INTEL I5-3570K 3.4 GHZ
CASE FAN 120 MM 1500RPM (push and pull)
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7970 high temperature
  1. What case are you currently using and cpu cooler fan arrangement the whole deal? The idle temp sounds good but the load temp sounds a bit on the dangerous side.
  2. bigshootr8 said:
    What case are you currently using and cpu cooler fan arrangement the whole deal? The idle temp sounds good but the load temp sounds a bit on the dangerous side.

Heres everything

*BASE_PRICE: [+879]
    BLUETOOTH: None
    CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-22] (White Color [+10])
    CASUPGRADE: None
    CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    CD2: None
    COOLANT: Standard Coolant
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [-110]
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    ENGRAVING: Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [+0] (Times New Roman Italic [+0])
    ENGRAVING_MSG: Becca and Jordan Love Forever
    FA_HDD: None
    FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) [+9])
    FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
    FREEBIE_CU1: $50 Visa Gift Card - Free Gift card on all Intel(R) Desktops and notebooks [+0]
    FREEBIE_VC: FREE AMD Tahiti Bundle Game Coupon [+0]
    FREEBIE_VC2: None
    GLASSES: None
    HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+0] (Single Drive)
    HDD2: None
    IEEE_CARD: None
    IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
    MB_SRT: None
    MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance [Free upgrade from 1600MHz Major Brand])
    MONITOR: None
    MONITOR2: None
    MONITOR3: None
    MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)
    MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
    POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [-7]
    RUSH: No Rush Service, Estimate Ship date by 12/10/2012
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: None
    TABLET: None
    TEMP: None
    TUNING: * Intel(R) Core™ i5-3570K Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel [+24]
    TVRC: None
    USB: None
    USBFLASH: None
    USBHD: None
    USBX: None
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+142] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
    VIDEO2: None
    VIDEO3: None
    WNC: 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+26]
    XWNC1: TP-LINK TL-WN727N 802.11b/g/n USB 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter [+0]
    _PRICE: (+1104)
    _view_: {74D5CE1A-C599-423A-BCDE-652BA0BAF14D}
    _load_: 11/26/2012 1:42:07 PM
  3. GOMG lol wish it was neater :P on your case besides the default fans are you using any of the other empty fan slots? Also are you using stock fans?
  4. lol sorry i believe they are stock the only thing i believe i did was dual fans and the push and pull mechanism
  5. hmm, do you normally feel cool air coming out of your case or it neutral. I'm trying to pain a picture here. There are aftermarket fans that could help with air flow. Mid-ATX cases don't always supply much breathing room for a graphics card. Also which brand/model is your 7970 is it a reference design card or aftermarket your description doesn't outline it.
  6. yea its pretty cool the brand/model i am not sure it was made from cyberpowerpc and all the info it shows is AMD RADEON 7970 3GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0. Sorry if i am not being very detailed
  7. No its okay when you look at the card if you were to open your case does it have a reference design meaning one fan and the rest is a logo display or does it have a aftermarket cooler. I'll supply examples below.

REREFRENCE

AFTERMARKET
  8. I'm pretty sure it is the reference.
  9. Best answer
    They tend to run a bit hotter then your aftermarket cards with better coolers. You may want to look into better fans for your current configuration. According to the specifications of your case you have 2 exhaust 120mm fans and 2 intake 120mm spots which may or may not all be taken up. So I would check that firstly. A couple of fan choices as well I'll list below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133190

Noctua:
    They have great fans but they are on the very expensive end of the spectrum

Corsair Air Flow 120 fans
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=corsair+af120&x=0&y=0

Cougar 120 PWM fans great for pushing a ton of air.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

10. Best answer selected by savedbyfaith.
  11. Thank you very much. I will look in to it.
  12. You can also try dusting off your components as well as there is a piece of software msi afterburner http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/MSI-Afterburner.shtml which you can manually turn up the fan speed and that may help as well
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Temperature HD Graphics Product