Sign in with
Your question

Need advice building my rig

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2013 3:15:37 PM

Hey guys :) 

So I'm building a new gaming rig, and I want this rig to be a beast. I want it to thrash any game that gets thrown at it. 

Firstly, I'll let you guys know how I'll be playing these games. I'll be playing on a single monitor, right now it's about 21" but I'll get a new one soon at about 26" or so. I'll play the games at as high a resolution as possible and I want to completely max out all the settings.

I've decided to wait for Haswell to land before I build my rig, just so that it can be relatively future proof and so I can drop in a Broadwell sometime in the future if need be. What are your guys ideas with regard to this?

With the motherboard, my general perception is that you PC is only as good as your motherboard, because that's what everything fits into and it ties everything together. Is this a correct idea? Or can you settle for a less impressive motherboard overall? And also, what are the things that you will be looking for in a good motherboard?

With RAM, I'll be honest and say that I'm tempted to got for 16GB of the stuff. Is this a good idea, or should I just settle for 8GB? And again, what type of ram should I be looking for? 

And now onto the GPU. Like I've said, I want this computer to be powerful, and churn through top end games. Right now I'm looking at the GTX690. What I'm not sure about though is whether or not this card is excessive for my single monitor game-playing. Just how pretty will this card sit playing BF3 or Metro2033 on full graphics at a high resolution? And if its overkill, what level of card should I look at? Also, what clock speeds and how much VRAM am I looking for on the card itself? (I heard VRAM comes into play at higher resolutions?)

Tons of questions, I know, but I'd love to hear what any of you have to say and advice is always welcome :D  

More about : advice building rig

February 12, 2013 3:29:07 PM

You're not the only one eagerly anticipating Haswell, but I think the best advice regarding parts to use is to wait until Haswell has actually released, and ask again then, because there will probably be other components released between now and the Haswell release with better performance than currently-available components.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2013 3:33:20 PM

I have a funny feeling that we aren't going to get much of an improvement in performance but the Ivy's might take a significant price drop (Hoping).
February 12, 2013 3:37:17 PM

hey man just wanted to put my input in. what resolution do you plan on playing on 1080 2560 etc?

as for ram you really dont really need over 8gb but make sure no matter what try to stay to 2 sticks depending on how many channels your board will be running.

as far as a board i would not cheap out on that, something with good heatsinks, etc will all affect overclocking as well as how many pcie lanes it has will affect games.

as for graphics i wouldnt go for a 690, its not much faster than a 680 and youll have extra cash to spend even on a second 680 or even sli 670s etc. the ati cards are very good but ive head bf3 plays better with nvidia? hey i play bf3 with 550ti sli and they do fine. a 7950 or 7970 is a good card.

it all depends on your budget but i would invest in a nice custom or sealed liquid cooler as well as some nice ssd.

dont cheap out on a case either , i would get a nice full tower, its nice for all the wires and for the added room as well as tons of rooms for fans etc.

your build is only as good as your weakest component so search before you buy, i cheaped out on cards since i was building a budget rig at first and ive regretted it ever since since as well as my other mb i had before
!